Author Topic: best quality 7.62X39 for accuracy?  (Read 1523 times)

merdenoms

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
best quality 7.62X39 for accuracy?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:48 PM »
What are the best brands of 7.62X39 for a sks?  what is best for accuracy?  what is the best weight?

I bought some Chinese Military 7.62 x 39 mm LEAD Core Cartridges.  Is that stuff pretty decent?

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: best quality 7.62X39 for accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »
It depends on your rifle.

Mine likes everything, except for GOLDEN TIGER!!!!!!!!

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »
Tough to recommend a single brand of the commonly available lower priced commercial stuff.  Quality control isn't a strong point so it's not uncommon to see different results even between batches of the same brand.  The Chinese stuff generally shoots good but isn't that much better- since it's been "banned from importation" its legend has grown.

Personally I've had better results with Yugo M67 surplus compared to the Russian brands

Many here load their own for impressive results compared to commercial
If you don't know, shut yer hole

res45

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
What are the best brands of 7.62X39 for a sks?  what is best for accuracy?  what is the best weight?

I bought some Chinese Military 7.62 x 39 mm LEAD Core Cartridges.  Is that stuff pretty decent?

Best way to find out is to buy a box of each kind you can get you hands on and shoot some groups with each,that will tell you what your rifle likes best.  Preferred bullet & weight for the SKS  is 123 gr. FMJ but try some SP and HP also if you can get them.   I think the Chinese is pretty good ammo from what most people have said don't know if what you have is corrosive or not,only seen one stripper clip of the stuff in real life and never shot any of it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:10:47 PM by res45 »

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
My SKS is remarkably non picky, but as everyone says, gun to gun it's different.

Although, keep in mind that for bench rest bulls eye shooting, reloads have the potential to be the most accurate.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

thespork

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
The "best" for accuracy, probably norma, just imagine dollar bills flying down the range every time you pull the trigger...

I'm assuming you probably mean, of the cheap (at least until recently) imports from the eastern bloc....

I'd have to say silver bear, but I'm sure opinions vary..

Ive heard the yugoslavian corrosive stuff that you see floating around is real good, but Ive never shot it.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
I picked up a box of Norma 7.62x54R soft points last deer season from a local shop- I pointed out the thick layer of dust on the box and offered to take it off their hands- ended up paying 10 or 12 bucks
If you don't know, shut yer hole