Author Topic: Best iron sights for SKS?  (Read 1692 times)

destrux

• SKS Marksman
Best iron sights for SKS?
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
I have a williams peep sight on the back of my SKS-M right now, and I'm tired of it moving around. I shimmed it to tighten it up and it still manages to move and screw up my accuracy. I used pieces of a soda can to shim it on the sides and bottom, but the shims deform and loosen up. It's crappy fix at best.

Is there a peep sight available that goes where the rear sight normally mounts that either fits well or is made of steel (so that I can add metal by welding the sight and machining it to fit perfectly)?

I was looking at the tech sights, but I don't like that you have to remove them to clean the gun. I'd prefer to not disturb my zero for cleaning or make field stripping require tools.
"Can you imagine a world without violence? Firearms are not for killing people, they're a deterrent." -Alexei Dragunov

xxxsks

• COMMERICAL GURU
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • They are not all M's
Re: Best iron sights for SKS?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
The only other sight that I know of is the MOJO. I don't have one. Could not tell you if they are steel or aluminum. Call them and ask.

http://www.mojosights.com/ak47_sks.html

.........Joe

oblivionboyj

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Nec timeo nec sperno
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
I think that the only sight that would fit your criteria is the Mojo click sight.
I have one for my 91/30 and I like it allot. I don't know what it is made of though. I have never bothered to put a magnet to it.
I have a Lyman ghost ring sight on my SKS and I like it allot.
I was told I would have to take it off to remove my receiver cover, but as it turned out I don not have to remove it for cleaning. It holds zero really well.
But you would have to drill and tap the receiver to mount the Lyman  8)
"Get thee behind me Satan!" Jesus
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
"I'm so happy cause I'm a Gummy Bear, GUMMY BEAR" Gummy Bear

milsurpcop

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:28 AM »
I had Williams and Tech on SKSs and MOJOs on Mausers and Mosins, but I keep coming back to the originals for some reason. 
Politians and Diapers should be changed often for the same reason

I cling to my guns and religion because they are two things I know I can count on.

feldspar13

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
I like the original sights

cmroddy

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
me too, but then again i never did like aperture sights much.

uclafootball

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
tech sights are really nice but expensive but u pay for what u get

demented

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:16:17 AM »
I lucked into a Krebs adjustable originally made for AK's that I installed on my Para.  It did help my shooting quite a bit, I now shoot 3"-4" 100 yard groups instead of my normal 6" with the factory notch sight.  I'd recommend some sort of quality peep sight over the factory notch type any day.  I don't include the Williams sight in this group, they are mostly made to sell, not work well.