Author Topic: Remington 700 243 bull barrel  (Read 1480 times)

Tyler Durden

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • First rule of gun craft. Guns are the stars.
Remington 700 243 bull barrel
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »
 Now I've done it! I bought a Remington 700 243 bull barrel . What scope/ Mount's do I need to get the most out of this firearm? I'm looking to shoot long range prairie dogs, and targets.
Would a Burris/Leupold 3x9 40 be enough? Or do I need something more? All advice is welcome!

My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
Re: Remington 700 243 bull barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »
Typically you're going to need more scope for longer range varminting. Im using a 32x on the Weatherby and Ar-15. Ive made some good 600+ yard shots off a 24x though.

Scope is up to you. Same for mounts and rings etc. A 700 wont be a problem at all to find a mount for. Right now im using a 15 MOA adjusted base from EGW on the weatherby as im going to use it for a 1000 yard rifle once I get the ammo all up to spec. Using a set of burris tactical rings. The scope is hopefully going to be traded over to a Leupold MK 4 LRT here in the future.

Now whats your version of long range? Then after that whats your ability, and practical range? Some states it hard to get out far. Others its not hard at all to see for miles and miles. If you dont have loads of range.. dont bother shelling out for huge optics unless you plan on going to places you can use it. If you're in plain states and the like.. its enough glass for your skill / your rifle / your ammo's ability.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

diggler1833

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:50:43 AM »
What model of the 700 did you get (SPS Varmint, VLS, etc..)?  Generally 3-9x a great power for hunting larger game, but if you are seeking out small targets at longer ranges it would probably be beneficial to move up in the magnification range.

Tyler Durden

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »
The SPS Varmint.

diggler1833

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 04:57:37 AM »
One thing about the SPS line is that there is so much play in the forearm of the stock.  You can pretty easily apply enough pressure to get the stock to contact the barrel, which really screws with harmonics.  If you get a chance and have the money an upgrade to the stock is usually pretty beneficial as far as accuracy/repeatability goes.  Good luck, and have fun shooting your new rifle.

Tyler Durden

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
So I did my home work, and the stock is the weak point. Other than McMillan. What stock should I look at? Does the barrel need to be free floated? I want to keep the stock under +/_ $300.00. Plus, do I need anything more than a Burris quality scope/mount to get accuracy out of this rifle? I'm so new to the long range thing, all help is welcomed!

Tyler Durden

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »

Rurik

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »
So I did my home work, and the stock is the weak point. Other than McMillan. What stock should I look at? Does the barrel need to be free floated? I want to keep the stock under +/_ $300.00. Plus, do I need anything more than a Burris quality scope/mount to get accuracy out of this rifle? I'm so new to the long range thing, all help is welcomed!
For $300, look into the Ultimate Varmint or Ultimate Sniper by Choate.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning." - Erwin Rommel.