Author Topic: When was my sks made?  (Read 9657 times)

49north

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • "If they move,kill them."
When was my sks made?
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »
Who in the hell cares when your sks was made.  Never occurred to me and I've owned them for many years. Guess I ain't a collector but the trivial importance of when some cheap chicom sks was made has to be one of the most irrelevant queries ever to appear on the boards.   My goodness man, do a bit of research (internet search duh!!) instead of asking the oh so tired age old pathetic question of "When was my sks made
  Some might answer that questions like these help bring more into the sks  hobby, but I say raise the bar and maybe  these most irritating , repetitive and oh so boring question seekers will realize their laziness and somehow learn that yes, behold there is the SEARCH FUNCTION!   And use it. :shock: :evil: :evil: :banghead: Oh yeah, when you start doing a bit a research you will learn much, for much is out there concerning our beloved sks.  And the more you learn the more you will figure out till eventually, when you do have to ask a question...IT WILL BE A GOOD ONE!   And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Be prepared!

Desciple

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: When was my sks made?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 03:26:20 AM »
You mean you know how old my SKS is...

How old is it anyway?

j/k   :lol:  you surely had it coming!

I agree, and I'm glad I never asked this rather stupid question, especially now that I've been around a bit and see how often it gets asked.

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »
I agree that the "search" tool should be used more often, however, the age of an SKS is no trivial matter.

For us collector's, the year of manufactor could make all the difference. Think of the Soviet produced SKS, the one that started it all. It sure make's a big difference whether it was made in 1949 or 1950, and it can be the difference of a singe day coming out of the factory.

Even with less collectable variants like the Yugo M59/66, or a /26\ Norinco, the year of manufactor means something to us. It's like knowing how old your friend is, you can maybe imagine where it's been in life. It helps us to get to know our rifles, and streghtens our connection.

That being said, I only know the age of my Russian and Albanian.. hey, anybody have a database for M59/66 serial numbers?  8)

-spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
I think the point was if the production year is so important to you LOOK IT UP!!!!
If you don't know, shut yer hole

docbuckhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
When was my sks made?

On a Tuesday, at 1:48PM, by a guy named Chu, after his lunch of Rice and Fish.   :lol:

Desciple

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
That should become our standard response to such questions.

GUDERIANSDOG

• Spinner of ripping yarns.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
    • "A Cruel Thing- A Tale of American Spirits"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
When was my sks made?

On a Tuesday, at 1:48PM, by a guy named Chu, after his lunch of Rice and Fish.   :lol:
Did he have black hair doc? :lol:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
I agree that the "search" tool should be used more often, however, the age of an SKS is no trivial matter.

For us collector's, the year of manufactor could make all the difference. Think of the Soviet produced SKS, the one that started it all. It sure make's a big difference whether it was made in 1949 or 1950, and it can be the difference of a singe day coming out of the factory.

Even with less collectable variants like the Yugo M59/66, or a /26\ Norinco, the year of manufactor means something to us. It's like knowing how old your friend is, you can maybe imagine where it's been in life. It helps us to get to know our rifles, and streghtens our connection.

That being said, I only know the age of my Russian and Albanian.. hey, anybody have a database for M59/66 serial numbers?  8)

-spike

As a collector I care about the year of manufacture of my rifles and ones I'm contemplating purchasing but not so much ones belonging to other people I don't know  :lol: 

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
Well I think it's interesting!  =P~

Sometimes you can learn some interesting things about years of manufactor... I did! For example, my Alby SKS is dated 1978, but is in a very dark stock ( http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=38883.0 ). From the research I've done, it appears that darker stocks fell out of favor around 1973, and the overwhelming majority of 1974+ Alby stocks are more of an orange color. That makes my rifle that much more unique, and helps me understand it better.

See, and now you learned something too =P

-spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

docbuckhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Well I think it's interesting!  =P~

Sometimes you can learn some interesting things about years of manufactor... I did! For example, my Alby SKS is dated 1978, but is in a very dark stock ( http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=38883.0 ). From the research I've done, it appears that darker stocks fell out of favor around 1973, and the overwhelming majority of 1974+ Alby stocks are more of an orange color. That makes my rifle that much more unique, and helps me understand it better.

See, and now you learned something too =P

-spike

Jetmir thanks you for your interest.

mikliska

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:59:51 AM »
Sounds as if the thread starter was a bit upset.

The reason I found myself here was because I was researching my SKS. I searched and searched and got nothing about arsenal markings or dates and thought someone here could help. What the #(@! is wrong with wanting to know more about a piece of history?
I am a gun collector but don't know everything about everything so why not ask if you're interested. Don't be a dI/< !

dextronaut

• SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
Sounds as if the thread starter was a bit upset.

The reason I found myself here was because I was researching my SKS. I searched and searched and got nothing about arsenal markings or dates and thought someone here could help. What the #(@! is wrong with wanting to know more about a piece of history?
I am a gun collector but don't know everything about everything so why not ask if you're interested. Don't be a dI/< !

do some research about the numbers before posting, thats all the OP is asking. i found out the age of my SKS just by a simple google search. first page there is a site that has a spreadsheet of all the numbers/years

dragunovsks

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
I think the point was if the production year is so important to you LOOK IT UP!!!!

Right, and everyone just has that serial number chart showing years tacked to thier wall.  I looked for several years before I got internet access trying to find how old my SKS was.  It's not that I thought it would be worth more, I was just curious when they made the Yugo SKS and I like the history of older firearms.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
The available info is especially easy to find if you're at this site, the search is your friend  :lol:

enfieldshooter303

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »
i agree with using the search option but its also cool to ask because sometimes the poster who answers provides a little more info than just the date.