Author Topic: Chinese SKS - Norinco? How much is it worth?  (Read 4460 times)

Flogger23m

• SKS Newbie
Chinese SKS - Norinco? How much is it worth?
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »
Hello everyone. I am interested in buying someone's Chinese SKS, and would like to know what it is worth.

The rifle in question is pictured here:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/ahkneenah/DSC02385.jpg

He is not sure if it is a Norinco. Can anyone tell me if it is by the pic above? If not, then I can ask him for a closer pic of the markings.

It does not come with the bayonet. It has a fixed 10 round magazine.

The rifle looks like it is in good condition, and I am assuming it will function as well as it looks. Assuming it does, how much do you think it is worth? Note that I am in CA, and that the prices on semi auto rifles are generally a little higher.

Striker

• SKS Sniper
Re: Chinese SKS - Norinco? How much is it worth?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
Nope  Don't buy it... if you happen to have his name, address and number I will let him know your not interested   8)    8)
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine

Striker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »
Hard to tell from the pic...missing the bayo....
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
It's Chinese

The wood looks good

Not sure how prices are going in California- it's a solid $250 rifle in Michigan
If you don't know, shut yer hole

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »
It is a good lookin' Norinco.  You can tell by the stamped trigger guard and lack of lightening cut in the bolt carrier.  If it is a numbers-matching, its a solid buy if you can get it for under $300.
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

Flogger23m

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. His answered some more of the questions:

1) It is imported by NACO ridgefield NJ.

2) He has never shot it (though maybe someone else has before him?).

The price is $325. Then factor in DROS,PPT and my required gun lock fees and its $370 or so. The average price for a Yugo here is $350 with nothing. This is not factoring all of the mentioned fees above (if we did it would be around $405 for your average Yugo). Considering the price of the Yugos here, is this still a good deal?

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
Should be about the same price as a decent Yugo

If you like it I wouldn't worry about paying a couple bucks too much.............

Importer and factory code doesn't usually make a difference- Navy Arms was a big importer

As long as it's in good shape "never shot" isn't a big deal either

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. His answered some more of the questions:

1) It is imported by NACO ridgefield NJ.

2) He has never shot it (though maybe someone else has before him?).

The price is $325. Then factor in DROS,PPT and my required gun lock fees and its $370 or so. The average price for a Yugo here is $350 with nothing. This is not factoring all of the mentioned fees above (if we did it would be around $405 for your average Yugo). Considering the price of the Yugos here, is this still a good deal?
Sounds like a reasonable Cali price to me. The wood has been refinished and has had heavy sanding. But it looks nice. I would value a Chinese Above a Yugo. In fact 325.00 is a good deal in todays market in California.
If it were mine, all matching with a bayo, in South Carolina, I would ask about 290.00-300.00. So 325.00 in Cali is a good deal , I think.  8)   

Flogger23m

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
Ok thanks for the helpful insight everyone. I'll have to think a little more though... to see if I really want the rifle. It would make a nice companion for my Romnian AK though.  :scratch:

smokedog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
If you like it then buy it the price doesn't seem to awful high and unless you do a ftf the fee's are going to run the same for you regardless.
I always ask myself these questions  before buying.
Is there one available that compares?
Can I afford it ?
Do I need it ? ( thats a yes always)
Good luck
C&R License 7/01/2009
Md Designated Collectors License 2/03/2010

braindonor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
The big question is matching numbers. Is there a serial number on the left side of the buttstock? I wonder how bad the stock was to have to sand it so much.......the fingergroove is darn near butchered. It was sold after 1989 so doesn't have a bayo but they are easy to find, the screws not so easy. $300 is about right for California. If he has some ammo see if you can get a package deal.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
The big question is matching numbers. Is there a serial number on the left side of the buttstock? I wonder how bad the stock was to have to sand it so much.......the fingergroove is darn near butchered. It was sold after 1989 so doesn't have a bayo but they are easy to find, the screws not so easy. $300 is about right for California. If he has some ammo see if you can get a package deal.

Actually matching numbers on a Chinese were likely to have been restamped the last time it was worked on before export- the ones that came through with ugly stocks are probably more original anyways

Non-original stocks aren't that big a deal and new- looking replacements can be had inexpensively

Usually the $2.99 replacement bayonets come with a new screw

Flogger23m

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
Can I afford it ?

Yeah, I am about $50 too short. I thought I had more than enough cash, but I guess I was wrong. I'll probably pick it up if its still for sale when I get more money.

I guess I should be putting the money towards AK mags anyways. I have none. :p

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

rugerman07

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
Nice looking Norinco.  I bought one a couple of months ago for $235.00.  Prices since then have been going up to $325.00 - $350.00 in my area.