Author Topic: BROWNING A BOLT REPLACEMENT BARREL  (Read 2032 times)

FOREMAN2000

• SKS Marksman
  • FIREFIGHTER/ EMT / FUGITIVE RECOVERY AGENT
BROWNING A BOLT REPLACEMENT BARREL
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »
I have a browning a bolt 7,mm,wsm,w/boss i am looking to replace the taper barrel with a bull barrel and have it turned and threaded to accept a jp recoil eliminator but i canot find replacement bull barrels for browning rifles.
Not sure what to do, any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:56:37 PM by FOREMAN2000 »
NORINCO SKS CUT TO 16"
A2 STYLE FLASH HIDER
TAPCO T-6 FUSION
CHOATE DRILL N TAP
TAPCO 20 RD MAG
BUSHNELL TROPHY MP RED DOT ACOG
UTG TRI RAIL
UTG FOLDING VERTICAL GRIP
STREAMLIGHT TL-3
TAPCO SLING

j20owner

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Thread Killer
    • http://www.xaclan.com
Re: BROWNING A BOLT REPLACEMENT BARREL
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
You'd probably have to buy a barrel blank that is not already threaded/chambered and then have a gunsmith modify it to fit the action.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:36:54 PM »
Barrel replacement is the Achilles heel of the otherwise excellent A-Bolt Browning.  I think the specifics of the problem, if memory serves me correctly  :roll:  is that Browning's Japanese subcontractor uses a 'red loctite'-type thread compound when assembling the barrel to the receiver, and that because of this, removing the barrel can actually damage the action - the receiver threads come out of the receiver in such a way as to totally ruin the receiver.

So from what I understand Browning's answer to customers on this subject varies from: "if we rebarrel, we also replace the action" to "our rifles are not meant to be rebarreled or rechambered".

I understand that very slow and careful heating will defeat the loctite, but that is the reason that aftermarket barrel makers don't offer replacement A-Bolt barrels and the huge majority of intelligent gunsmiths don't want to take on a project that can easily result in a ruined receiver and an irate customer.  It is not cost effective for the few they would sell.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:43:59 PM by Frisco Pete »
Truth is the new hate language

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
Have you considered rechambering it?
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich