Author Topic: Russian SKS Manual  (Read 1712 times)

TGarrett

• SKS Marksman
Russian SKS Manual
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
In my quest to find every possible SKS accessory, I ran across this - the Russian SKS Shooting Manual.  I can look at the pictures :)

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
Re: Russian SKS Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
Your quest will be to find the Russian manual in the year of first production or at least in the early 1950's.

TGarrett

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »
Ah, close enough.  The old Ukranian I knew that actually used one of these in the 50's said he'd never seen a manual :)  I don't know if they didn't print them or just rarely to never issued them.

allesennogwat

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
In the 1940's and 1950's a lot of people in the Soviet military couldn't read and even the ones that could read their local language couldn't read Russian. Many were peasant farmers from those far off Soviet Republics. That manual is the exact same manual issued in Hungarian, Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian, etc. The US military has some decent translations of it in English and an English manual of their own.

I'll have to check the dates on the manuals I have. I have some operators and armorers manuals for the SKS and I have some of the US military manuals.

curtton

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:33:29 AM »

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
ran across one of them myself. it has been translated and put into book form. the translated book can be had at amazon for about $10.
http://www.amazon.com/Official-SKS-Manual-U-S-S-R-Army/dp/0873649087/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

moltiv

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
In the 1940's and 1950's a lot of people in the Soviet military couldn't read and even the ones that could read their local language couldn't read Russian. Many were peasant farmers from those far off Soviet Republics. That manual is the exact same manual issued in Hungarian, Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian, etc. The US military has some decent translations of it in English and an English manual of their own.

I'll have to check the dates on the manuals I have. I have some operators and armorers manuals for the SKS and I have some of the US military manuals.
I like how you people that know nothing of USSR history claim that Russian Soldiers could not read. Illiteracy was present in the USSR but it was not to that extent. In the regards to different language get you facts straight too. In the 1940's and 1950's communism and Russian influence  in the USSR was present for 20 -30 years. If we consider that mandatory age for enlisting was 18 and 22 for post university graduates ,which would have studied Russian to full extend you know like "War and Peace", they were speaking and reading Russian well enough.  So considering the nations with low education level like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and etc. I would say that about 95% of USSR army could read it, 3% could not read it but understood it well enough and 2 % would not be able to read it or understand.
I think you confusing 1920's and 1950's or you just watch too many propaganda movies and know nothing of USSR history. Anyways I thought I need to clear it.
Also for your knowledge there was books posters and a lot of other things for a soldier. Classes were they actually studied Soviet Rifles and other rifles of the world .
Russians were never stupid , there is an old saying don't underestimate your enemy, you have a better chance of loosing if you do.