Author Topic: PICS-Undated Tula Receiver Cover Russian Project  (Read 29880 times)

racer32

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
PICS-Undated Tula Receiver Cover Russian Project
« on: November 20, 2005, 05:34:49 PM »
***ATTN: MODS*** Will you make this a "sticky"?  

YooperJ and I have a particularly interesting version of the Tula SKS.  There are no dates stamped on the receiver covers, but they DO have the Tula star on top.  They are NOT stamped with a star on the left side of the receiver.  If you have a similar rifle with matching numbers on the receiver cover and receiver, post pics and the serial number (drop last two digits if you want). Mine has serial #KP 6640 D (a Cyrillic letter that looks kinda like a Pac-Man...see pics). Both of ours have serial numbers that are approximately 1100 rifles apart.  This project is an attempt to document others to perhaps get an idea how many were built.

This is the top cover on the rifles sought:

The receiver on mine has no markings other than these. It has the import stamp on the barrel instead of the receiver, and the importer was C.A.I.

The stock on mine is matching hardwood, but has no Tula star on it.

On the opposite side from the numbers it has what appears to be a Cyrillic letter "f" in a circle.  It is faintly stamped, hopefully the picture will show it well enough to tell.

Misc. pic's:

BTW: Please don't Indy this project with fuzzy pic's of a rifle you don't have, or pic's stolen from another website!
Welcome to Chinese Restaurant.
please try your Nice Chinese Food With Chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history. and cultural
BAMBOO CHOPSTICKS
PRODUCT OF CHINA

YooperJ

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
    • http://www.yooperj.com
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:08:38 PM »
Great Idea!!!!   Pictures of mine are posted on my web site in the SKS section on page 21.  This is the link  http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-21.htm  I know of one other and am trying to get the information from the owner.
Thanks,

YooperJ
visit my SKS section
www.yooperj.com

sksnut

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:17:58 AM »
Neat rifle and good photos.  I have never seen one of these, and from the photos it looks original, not rebuilt.  I would say that it is a late rifle, 1955 or 1956.  The serial number on the stock with no date and arsenal marks is typical of some 1955 rifles.  Some have the star and arrow with date, some do not.

racer32

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
Yooperj and I have discovered that our serial numbers differ by approximately 1100. Has anyone else spotted one of these?
please try your Nice Chinese Food With Chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history. and cultural
BAMBOO CHOPSTICKS
PRODUCT OF CHINA

Garand1957

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 11:44:11 PM »
On the opposite side from the numbers it has what appears to be a Cyrillic letter "f" in a circle. It is faintly stamped, hopefully the picture will show it well enough to tell.
Mine is dated (1952 Tula) but has this same stamp in the stock.

nyquill-junkie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:33:19 PM »
maybe there was a few that slid thru the like while Ivan and his budies had a little vodka break?

"oops we missed stamping that one... whos gonna notice? pass that bottle!"

racer32

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »
Well, the no-date Tual has moved on to another collector.  I would like to free up some space in my photobucket account, but hate to just pull the pic's for this thread.  Will someone else volunteer to host them?
BAMBOO CHOPSTICKS
PRODUCT OF CHINA

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 08:00:22 PM »
My "no date" has a completely clean cover; no date, no factory symbol, no refurb mark.  Has the small star on the left side.

racer32, I notice a "discoloration" running in a band across the top of the receiver cover in your picture.  Mine has a similar discoloration although the shape is a little different.  It's almost like the imprints that are normally there were ground off.  However, there does not appear to be any metal missing.

My serial # is HG (cryllic) 5617 with the same cryllic character at the end as yours.

I have heard that this represents a refurb even though there is not the usual refurb marking.

I wish there was someone who knew definitively.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:18:13 PM by Ronny »
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »
Make that "no" factory symbol.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »
Is that all there is? :o

YooperJ

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
    • http://www.yooperj.com
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:46:14 PM »
These guns DO NOT have the small star on the side of the receiver.  There is a star w/arrow on the top cover, but no date.  No refurb marks and in a matched Hardwood stock. Extremely Rare in my opinion.
Thanks,

YooperJ
visit my SKS section
www.yooperj.com

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »
Given the lack of responses, I'd say you are correct with regard to their rarity.

I'm also beginning to think that mine, with nothing on the cover and with the small star on the left side of the receiver, might also be somewhat rare.

Have you seen one like this?

racer32

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 10:32:43 AM »
Quote from: Ronny
Given the lack of responses, I'd say you are correct with regard to their rarity.

I'm also beginning to think that mine, with nothing on the cover and with the small star on the left side of the receiver, might also be somewhat rare.

Have you seen one like this?

The 55-56 Russians with the star on the side aren't the most common, but there are a lot of them out there.  I have one, but it somehow made it to China and got chopped down and made into a paratrooper!
BAMBOO CHOPSTICKS
PRODUCT OF CHINA

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »
It would be really interesting to know how many SKS's were actually made around the world.  I'll bet there are millions in warehouses in N Korea, not to mention China and Russia.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:39:10 PM »
I ran across another interesting variant this week.  Probably should have bought it, but he wanted $400

It was a 1951 Russian (date on stock), refurbished.  The receiver cover had no Arsenal marking and no date.  It had only a very faint refurb mark on top and the correct serial number on the back (of the receiver cover).  I say it was interesting because all other "no dates" I've heard about were 1955-56, but this one carried a '51 date on the hardwood stock.  

This would seem to suggest that this rifle was made in 1951 with a "no date and no Arsenal mark" receiver cover.  The only other answer would possibly be that a new unmarked receiver cover was installed and new matching serial numbers were stamped on it.  That would seem to be most likely.

Also, the receiver cover itself was not a polished blue like mine, but more of a grainy surface blue, like some Chinese I've seen.

I'm beginning to think that in the later stages of production (1956?) they were using up spare parts on refurbs and new guns without bothering to go to the trouble to stamp the top of the receiver covers.