Author Topic: has someone picked my lock?  (Read 4625 times)

Cornflakes

• SKS Gunsmith
has someone picked my lock?
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Okay, so i noticed...hmmmm maybe no more than a week ago, that my key wasn't going smoothly into the both door locks - deadbolt and door knob. The surfaces at the key entrance also appeared to be a little "worked".  I assumed my key key got bent somehow and didn't really give it much thought. Then my mother brought it up to me yesterday that her key has been difficult to insert as well.

Being slightly paranoid, i wondered if someone picked the lock, or at least tried to.  The locks on the back door appear to be in perfect working order.  Mind you, all these locks are only a couple years old.

Am I just being paranoid.....or should i check the house for transmitters?

"Okay, okay. Buy a lot of stuff, you're a good citizen. But if you don't buy a lot of stuff, if you don't, what are you then, I ask you? What? Mentally *ill*. Fact, Jim, fact."

a88fl

• SKS Marksman
Re: has someone picked my lock?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
Could just be old and starting to stick, try putting some graphite powder in there.

Cornflakes

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
yea, i just did that, and it helped a little.  still seems kinda funny though, seems one day it was fine, then one day its not. go figure...
"Okay, okay. Buy a lot of stuff, you're a good citizen. But if you don't buy a lot of stuff, if you don't, what are you then, I ask you? What? Mentally *ill*. Fact, Jim, fact."

suzukibruce

• SKS Gunsmith
  • It's always a double standard 'round here....
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »
change your locks, do a bug sweep, put in motion sensors wired into a time clock so that the clock starts when the sensor trips, put a tooth pick or something small between the door and frame when you close it to see if the door gets open... when you are home rest a glass bottle on the door knob so it falls if the knob is moved

easy

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
... when you are home rest a glass bottle on the door knob so it falls if the knob is moved

Jerry is that you?

(Conspiracy Theory)
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

keymastr5912

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »
hey Corn. as you might tell from my user name, i have some experience with this kind of stuff. yes it is possible someone TRIED to pick your locks. it is also very possible that they are just dirty inside. i do not like graphite. if you get frost or moisture inside the lock it may turn to something similar to clay. shoot them full of a good penetrating oil,then run the key in and out several times. that usually loosens them up. hope this helps.

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ah....what the heck were we talking about?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:16:18 AM »
Suddenly...and with two locks? Nah, you ain't paranoid.
Someone has tried "bumping the tumblers" (Google "lock bumping").
Change you locks and check everything else, security-wise.
"Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

"Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

"Hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may."

Ceddie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • It’s bad luck to be superstitious…
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
get a dog.
they bark a lot.

bad guys who want your stuff don't like dogs.
Ceddie
~
Never trust a dude with a roll of visqueen and no plausible reason.~
A well armed hippie with a generally poor attitude about how the ‘left’ has chosen to redefine ‘liberalism’… LIVE & LET LIVE use to mean something.

Cornflakes

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »
haha. thanks guys.  :lol:   I will try all of the above suggestions.  hmmm...maybe i'll rig up some C-4 to the door.  I'll definitely know if someone tries to get in. 

suzukibruce

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »
yeah but the problem with c-4 is the nieghbors won't like having to scrub bad guy off their siding... plus if you forget about it or your gf decides to stop by unanounced (even thogh she should know better) or mom etc etc...plus the .gov would get curious and ask a bunch of dumb questions... the c-4 really isn't that good of an idea...

SamStafford

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
There is a house over here that has a sign"You Pick You Die" on the window. There is a mead Biker Dude that lives in there.  :lol:
What? Me worry?

jwperry

• Master and Commander
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • The dolt behind the bolt.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
get a dog.
they bark a lot.

bad guys who want your stuff don't like dogs.

My dog wants his belly scratched a lot and doesn't discriminate by who.

If you are worried about forced entry through a door, butter the floor on the other side(assuming that it is not carpeting) of the door. Just remember to use the back door....
Success is a poor teacher.
Failure is a cruel teacher; the lesson is often presented at the worst time.

suzukibruce

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »
the "is that you jerry (from conspiracy theory)"  comment got my curiosity up to see it... what a great movie! i especially like his view on assasins having middle names... never thought about that before.... makes you think huh?

cygie

• SKS Sniper
  • red sky at morning, you know the rest
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »
You can get a bonded locksmith to re-key the tumblers, if you don't want to replace the actual hardware. Bonded, because they have access to all those homes, so they have to be trustworthy as far as background check, etc.

A motion sensor wired to a clock is good to see if somebody is trying to get in, as long as the sensor is OUTSIDE the house. Otherwise, it's kinda like closing the barn door after the horsies have run out.
Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »
I would have never believed it but the best guard dog we have are peacocks. I wouldn't recommend them for the city because they can be loud but they make great early detection animals. If anyone or anything (other dogs) come on our property they all start yelling. They are also great for keeping the ticks and snakes down.
Be careful about posting anything like the guy who said he will shoot someone, if you end up in that situation it can be used against you.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running