Author Topic: SKS/ FAL hybrid finalized 922r makeover  (Read 36583 times)

Go_Yugo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: SKS/ FAL hybrid finalized 922r makeover
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
I myself have reconfigured a few firearms in my day to my own custom specs,having apprenticed from my late gunsmith uncle,and let me tell you,this is some top notch work. I wish I had came up with it,I never linked an FAL to an SKS before i saw this. Beats the hell outta anything I see on Sons of Guns..... 8)

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
I myself have reconfigured a few firearms in my day to my own custom specs,having apprenticed from my late gunsmith uncle,and let me tell you,this is some top notch work. I wish I had came up with it,I never linked an FAL to an SKS before i saw this. Beats the hell outta anything I see on Sons of Guns..... 8)

That aint no joke. Xtrig, you put Red Jacket to ****in shame !
I collect bones

F*** it... Stop the slow bleed.
Unite all gun owners at the same time, and party like it's 1776

Treeweasel

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • My mistake, four coffins.
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

That aint no joke. Xtrig, you put Red Jacket to ****in shame !

The difference is actual innovation. And personability. You have both in spades Xtrig.

Now I'm going to continue hoping for some kind of universal alignment that puts you in a growing business soon.  [-o<
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig." - Blondie

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:46 PM »
holy moli !! you guys better scale down all that retoric or i'll end up with my head stuck in the next door frame I walk through :shock:
  Since you guys are kickin this around again, The BATFE has given me a revised 922r list for the XT #1 that they still have. The new list is down to 15 forign parts. Thats a freakin brake through in its self since those 5 US parts in the build can stay with OEM FAL fire control parts for most builds and thats a hefty savings right there. Oddly the agent did not respond to my asking on a rough time line of getting the gun back to me, so I sent out a specific letter asking for that in the nicest way I could think of.
  The XT#2 still needs a light wieght forend made up from a TC contender fabed, a front top sling loop put into the gas block then sand blasted and painted. everything else is done on it. Altho the gas block is a 1st prototype and iv been getting some varied ammo together for a group shooting at my house. My portable shooting table isnt stiff enough so i'll be building a solid one to be left in the woods where I have 100yds between the trees down parts of an old logging trail. The club range is a PITA to use with others shooting. Iv got a provisional patent on the gas block design and that has to be either a go or no befor it runs out in the spring. The gas block may be my bigest ace in the hand. Testing it has to be done befor XT#3 gets built. If it works out, it may be just a sniper option on a light wieght barrel. The gas block on the gun here is simple to make with its on/off positions as standard fair.
A few road blocks in putting a XT out there since my property deed has a covenant excluding a comercial business aside from a home "office" write off. But I have 2 01 FFL holders that will handle in/out bookings of XT upgrades. Selling a shop owned conversion would necesitate a manufactures FFL and with a move south in 2-3 years I think the FFL is out but a State Gunsmithing business may be the best way out useing a 01 dealer friend in tandem with my basic gunsmithing license and that is contingent on just what is legal to move out of a AWB state once I loose my peace officer exclusion. At least untill I get south with a nice BIG shop to put out some work, these sort of things are up in the air.
 Wait untill you see the FAL butt stock storage design. Its pretty neat with a quick acess to a cleaning kit and extra 5 shot mag.
 So thats about it for now, hang on to those doged out SKS's. they just might end up being moved to the front of the safe some day!
" When we get piled upon one another in large CITIES as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe" Thomas Jefferson   America, oh so blue...City politics has now come to rule over you.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
Hey Xtriggerman, if you're considering a move down south we'd love to have you in S. Florida.  If the Miami-Dade area is too loud and obnoxious (it's gettin' kind of full or those damn northerners these days), you can always try Broward or West Palm Beach.  I was in WPB for my sister's wedding recently and it was a nice mix of rural and urban.

As for parts count, I have in the past couple of years gotten into silicone molding. I can reproduce just about any plastic piece and I've found a new polymer mix that is almost as strong as injection molded materials and it can be stained to any color before pouring.  If you'd like I could try reporducinc some parts for you if they're not too big (the silicone is actually kind of expensive and the bigger the piece the more that's needed). I haven't had much of a chance to play with this stuff recently but in the past I've successfully molded pistol grip panels, followers and even some pistol mag floorplates, though some of my projects have been more successful than others.  I could certainly reproduce a FAL pistol grip if I had an original and it would be 100% US made right in my home in sunny Miami Florida.  If your handguard isn't too big I might be able to do that one too.  Let me know.
I am the one they call Cesar.

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
cv, Thanks for the offer on the handguard. That custom handguard that I will need is an important part of getting things rolling on a more standardized run of guns. My electro handguard ended up at over 1 lb with the aloy internal sleave. A all synthetic handguard with the laser and light ports will save the final cost some.
 SF is not for me. I need mountains with cold drinkable spring water in the ground to feel at home and right now, Tennessee is still looking good in that cumberland mountain area. Thanks just the same.
  Molding parts sound like a real neat specialty. Theres a huge market out there, and fun trying to satisfy it to boot!

" When we get piled upon one another in large CITIES as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe" Thomas Jefferson   America, oh so blue...City politics has now come to rule over you.

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
  • There Is A War Going On For Your Mind
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
Alright.....so when I can I get my hands on one of these is the question!!!!
"I about dropped the bike getting him off, it was like I was being raped."
:Kalash:

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
Alright.....so when I can I get my hands on one of these is the question!!!!

Yesssss !!! also round about prices if you can throw them up also ? I know some may be different than others but round about :)
I collect bones

F*** it... Stop the slow bleed.
Unite all gun owners at the same time, and party like it's 1776

Apollo

• SKS Marksman
  • "That's a wicked digger"
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
I'd definitely buy one of these!
United States Air Force Academy Class of 2017

The word "China" is a dead giveaway that it is a Chinese SKS.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »
XT your line is getting longer bro :lol:

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:15 AM »
I guess I wasnt very sucessfull at dodging the the $$ question. Did you guys see that sons of guns show that just aired? that was the first time I watched it. I about fell out of the couch when the guy charged the dud $150 bucks to clean & test a 6.5 jap!!! I would have been happy with 50 bucks. If thats their labor charges, a XT gun would be 3 grand easy. CPL is right in that there are so many various up grades in volved its hard to imagine a price out of all of it but lets start with the first and most important aspect of the conversion. A used complete FAL lower was about 150 w/shipping at Sarco last I checked. Welding, milling and mod-ing the FCG will add 200. The reciever cost of welding + milling the rear locking lug, the front split bushing and new AK type mag release and milling the bolt carrier would add about another 200. So thats 550 just to hang the FAL lower that would use the OEM mag box. And nothing more. As you can see, this is not a cheap conversion but its pretty cool when you push up on the take down button and pivot down and completely away with the lower half of the weapon. I am working on a cheaper alternative but that will be in the future. It may be just a handfull of these original design guns ever gets built. We will see.

GUDERIANSDOG

• Spinner of ripping yarns.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
    • "A Cruel Thing- A Tale of American Spirits"
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:40 AM »

SF is not for me. I need mountains with cold drinkable spring water in the ground to feel at home and right now, Tennessee is still looking good in that cumberland mountain area. Thanks just the same.
  Molding parts sound like a real neat specialty. Theres a huge market out there, and fun trying to satisfy it to boot!

XT, you might want to consider the WV mountains also. Very gun friendly state and local governments, and the taxes are  reasonable. The land is cheap and there is limited amount of PC bull.

As for your fantastic creations, I am always struck by the ingenuity of them. Recently they have been discussed in a thread over at AK files: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91710
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis

2ndsight

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • De Oppresso Liber
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
We all have been following this work of art I love it BAD AZZ cool. I bet you would make a killing putting those together for peeps. I sure want one or 2 lol :shock: 8)

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas
Potestas stricte interpretatur In dubiis, non praesumitur pro potentia

Chip Hazard

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
I agree it is cool... but why would someone want to pay upwards of $800-$1K for something that you can already buy for the same price?  Just asking is all... Right now these are $899.  If this was going to be a couple hundred less, then I could really get excited.  And these are also made in the US.  And yes this is 7.62x39 caliber

"Nothing is True... Everything is Permitted"

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
The H&K clone is a fine weapon but I like the XT better. It is far more compact in the reciever group, I can spill ALL the FCG individual internals on the table in seconds. And I think its a thing where some would rather not run with the herd if there is a weapon system that is made to order. I have built custom sporters that were thousands of dollars. Its something special to hand down. You can buy and sell clones all day, but your not going to get many chances at a XT. For some, that rates.
 Small package big performance    GSG-5 is identical to the smaller HK mp5 over the 7.62x39 above