Author Topic: Tapco or ProMag  (Read 8935 times)

coyster

• SKS Newbie
Re: Tapco or ProMag
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »
the ProMag 20rd steel work almost as well as a factory mag in a mini14, the tapco for an ak47 is junk.
the tapco 20rd for a sks works very well indeed.

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
the ProMag 20rd steel work almost as well as a factory mag in a mini14, the tapco for an ak47 is junk.
the tapco 20rd for a sks works very well indeed.

I have Tapco 30s for my AK's and have not had any issues. What sort of issues have you had with them?
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

coyster

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »
the feed lips were too long. for the same price or cheaper, its better to get steel mil surp.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
The Tapco AK mags work fine in my AK guns.

I think some of the AK's that have U.S made receivers may have some out of spec issues. This can cause mag use problems -but the mags did not cause the problem.

They do seem to have some extra "meat" to the lug on the rear -this can be fitted -makes for a ability to work out a good fitting mag for particular guns.

That said, combloc milspec mags are the better of the AK mags -just not a "compliant" part, if that matters.

LG  :?

coyster

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
i guess i should have said the ak promags where junk  :oops: my main point was that the mini 14 steel 20rd promags are top tit compared to all the aftermarket mags.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
i guess i should have said the ak promags where junk  :oops: my main point was that the mini 14 steel 20rd promags are top tit compared to all the aftermarket mags.

Correcto.

LG  :?

my762buzz

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
Promag is the joeken firearms of the magazine industry.
If it happens to function, its like winning the lottery.

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
the old motto for promags:

:lol:

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »
Has anyone ever broke the lip of a Tapco like the Zytels do?

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »
Tapco ONLY. Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
Has anyone ever broke the lip of a Tapco like the Zytels do?

I recall we had one poster that had a cracked feed lip.

I have not heard of others -seems uncommon.

LG :?

Racer X

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »
I know this is an old topic but it's the first that comes up when you search on Google for pro-mag vs Tapco.

And Since I just got 2 mags of each with my T6 system which honestly has nothing to do with fitment of either mags I figured I should post an update :)

So Tapco. . .  Great quality ! feels great works SMOOTH BUT ! There performance is lacking . . It's a 20rd mag and really only works properly at about 17rds. I have pulled the spring to help with this issue and it does help . . For awhile. . Then you have to do it again. . . Kinda stinks. And this is with BOTH mags so it wasn't a luck of the draw issue. No keep in mind this is with a Tapco mag that came in a zip lock type bag.

And Pro Mag. . Well TONS of online hate for PM but I had to try it since my other 2 Tapco mags had there little quirks and I wanted 30rd mags. . First thing I check was tension . . It was GREAT ! holds all 30 rounds properly and ejects them with no feeding issue. . Then we go to the fitment. . and this is where your going to get frustrated. The back of the mag at the very top section that is the back of the curve overs that hold your rounds in. . well they need to be sanded down JUST a hair. That was it. After that was done they go in well with a little umph needed. The Tapco's still slide in better but meh. . These pro mag's where in zip lock bags as well just not near as nice bags as the Tapco ones. .

So all in all it's really up to you. I will say of the 2 issues it seems that the Pro Mag one is less of a long term hassle. That also being said I had already purchased a full size Tapco fore-grip for my stock and it fit very nice with the 20rd mags but the 30's it just doesn't fit . . . AT ALL. So your either going to need a stubby or what I really like now since the Pro Mag's fit VERY snug is to look into getting the hand grips that slide on your mag's. I think those would be great for the 30's and then that leaves you options for lights/laser/Bi-pod on the front or your Bayo if that is what you already have. . .

So I hope this helps and I really hope this doesn't get deleted. Lots of people search for this topic and really the SKS Boards always pop up on top when I search ANYTHING regarding SKS.

P.S.
When holding the mag's instead of a fore-grip I will say that the area that is cut out on the T6 stock for the duck bill on the mags is a little sharp so I am thinking of putting maybe some permanent padding on the bottom of the duck bills to avoid getting my fingers dug into.

Thanks a ton ! :D

khigh

• SKS Expert
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
I know this is an old topic but it's the first that comes up when you search on Google for pro-mag vs Tapco.

Well the problem with the comparison is that today's Promag 30s are completely different mags from the Promags of almost 6 years ago. Current Promag 30's are to me as good as the Tapco 20s.

As far as the initial fitment thing, a rubber mallet works well (only have to use it once).

Racer X

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:14 AM »
Yeah I figured they are different now then back when. . But seriously this thread has SO many views I wanted to update it with a more current break down. Rubber mallet ? I dremel'd mine aka sanded

Hoosierquest

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
I have been hearing that issue with tapco lately, and makes me wonder if it had something to do with the high demand now.  Maybe they are pumping them out now and not giving their tooling the TLC it needs.
I just picked up another and it was in the zipper bag so I am curious to see if I have the same issue.  My old tapco works flawlessly BTW.