Author Topic: pro mag vs tapco Magazines vs metal mags  (Read 2885 times)

steves

• SKS Sniper
pro mag vs tapco Magazines vs metal mags
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:52:53 PM »
am having a problem with my yugo, with a mag pro it jams just about every bullet doesnt matter what kind, wolfs, s bear, b bear, china sports  but when I put the 10 rd original equipt mag no problem   havent tried the tapco and not the metal. please experts help as it is a pain to go to the range and have to un jam every time I use the polymer  mag.  will a metal one work any better? also it seems my extractor and spring are a little worn I would like to get a new or decent used bolt but everywhere is OUT of Stock  any help please I want to shoot my gun at the bunnies  :sniper      :bunny:

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
Re: pro mag vs tapco Magazines vs metal mags
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
Ditch the pro mag and go with a Tapco. Probably better off just using the original 10 round and practice using stripper clips.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=158
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

steves

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
thanks shooter just found out also that my firing pin last night pierced a primer causing a major jam, took it (bolt ) apart and can see the ring where it is hit and slammed the housing before. cant wait to get Murrays firing pin  ordered it and hope that it will remedy the problem.  As for the mags I am gonna stick with the factory one for right now 20-25 bucks a pop to try mags which may or may not work is well not in my budget lines right now , rather get the gun working  then play with mags.  thanks again  will maybe order a new ( used ) bolt from milsupply in a week or so as I am low on cash right now.  thanks again, steve

sksrosie

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
A Murrays Firing pin will not help with Popped primers. I have one and it still happens. You would be better off sending  your bolt to Ben Murray for a tune up and Firing Pin when you can.Check out this thread.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=58149.0
I have not tried it yet but some here have and say it works. Ben has my bolt now I will put my review up after I get to try it out.

dragunovsks

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
I second what yugoshooter said, ditch the promag, they are junk and Promag knows it.  I just use stripper clips.

phargolf

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »
Call me old and out of touch, but i really prefer stripper clips. just as fast with a little practice and not near the headaches you get with detachable mags. IMHO

Russianfist

• SKS Sniper
  • Represent!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39:51 AM »
Detachable mags are great if have three hands to change them out otherwise you will need to "shave" down the bolt one each side to load a mag with the bolt closed and so the mag drops out when empty with the bolt closed.

Their's a link here somewhere to do that, just not sure where.

Looks pretty simple really.
"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Sir Winston S. Churchill-

sks winger

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
steves, read the threads from murray about the bolt face volcanoing.  I think it is in the info you recieve with the new spring loaded firing pin also.  I had more problems with this than I did with the actual firing pin, especially with wolf black box.  Once I cleaned up the bolt face and got rid of the volcano aspect I have not had any problems at all.
Not on Our Watch
OATHKEEPERS.ORG

jasonrebellion

• Xbox: Jas0n Rebellion
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
my tapco 20 rounder hasn't jammed yet.