Author Topic: How much is too much ammo ?  (Read 7543 times)

Gilli-San

• Life Member
  • SKS Expert
How much is too much ammo ?
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted before but is there an amount of ammo that if surpassed would be considered a crime in itself without some type of permits ect.

Say you buy a case of 5,000 .22lr rnds is that too much? Or you reload and  have 30,000rnds of various calibers for hunting. Is there a point when a line is crossed?

Just wondering for informational purposes. Thanks

Dingusfish

• SKS Shooter
Re: How much is too much ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
far as i know, you can buy all you want. just dont buy all the ammo at my local gun shop please. particularly the 7.62x39, 8mm, and .17hmr.  ;)
Adversity causes some men to break, and others to break records.

-Author Unknown-

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
There are a couple of cases that police have arrested people for having that much, now are the arrests legal? I do not think so, I know of no law that says you can not have a certain quantity of ammo....   GL
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
There are a couple of cases that police have arrested people for having that much

This is news to me.
Do you have any links?

I have heard of a person being arrested for some other offense,
as in the case of the guy here in MN that had some explosives,
then having his property searched and when the 6 oclock news came on,
they told about him and the arrest for the explosives and then added,
"...And he had thousands of rounds of ammunition in the house too....".

GL are you sure?

BB

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
BB here is one, I know that another was posted more recently I am trying to find it....  GL

http://www.eagletribune.com/punewshh/local_story_135220825.html?keyword=topstory
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

The guy wasn't arrested for "too much ammo",
he was stopped as a traffic violation and because of the amount of ammo he had,
they decided to check him out.
That's when the other stuff came out like his hi-cap guns that he
decided not to get a permit for when he moved to MA etc.
They may have been watching him already for illegal firearms smuggling for all we know.
The fact that he is not a US citizen may have other ramifications, dunno.

Geez LG, don't you think it's kind of a stretch to call this "arrested for too much ammo"?

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
First it is GL not LG :lol: and second:

That is hard to believe, the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.

Garcia, who allegedly bought thousands of rounds of ammunition and had 10,000 bullets in his car when he was stopped by police Thursday, was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail yesterday.

Attorney Socrates de la Cruz of Lawrence, who represented Garcia, 32, of 12 Freeman St., at his arraignment in Haverhill District Court, said he will appeal the high bail in Superior Court.

Garcia is charged with three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm. His case was continued until June 12.

How can someone be in possession of ILLEGAL AMMUNITION? These are the first few lines from the article

the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.

So what, show me a law that states he can not own a large amount of ammo...  GL

cygie

• SKS Sniper
  • red sky at morning, you know the rest
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »
I am not aware of any laws currently on the books that place a limit on how many rounds of ammo you can posess. However, IMHO, after 9/11 and the assault on civil liberties, I believe that "right wing extremists" (read gun owners) could be viewed as terrorists by paranoid do-gooders of the U.S. govt. After all, they still have the right to tap your phones, and read your emails.

Amazon stole back copies of Orwell's "1984" from Kindle subscribers, and Google knows where you surf, and what ypur GoogleMail contains. Don't believe me? Send an email about a trip to Spain, and then see in the next day or two what ads pop up on your Google page. My point is, if commercial entities have this powre, you can figure the Feds have it as well.

IOW, the Feds or BAFTE could declare that owning 20k rounds of x39 is a terrorist action. After all, they are deciding who is a terorist, so why not decide on what grounds you become a threat? Ammo ownership? Gun ownership? Communication with other like minded individuals? Anybody see "1984" happening all over again? I would read it on my Kindle but it was stolen back.
Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons?

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
How can someone be in possession of ILLEGAL AMMUNITION?

Well for starters, you can't take all the rhetoric that you hear from prosecutors to heart.
They'll say whatever they want to make their case seem justified.

When you hear that statement it usually means that the guy is a felon or something and can't
possess guns or ammo.
Again, it may have something to do with his non-citizen status,
or some other obscure law attached to the registration of hi cap weapons in MA.

So what, show me a law that states he can not own a large amount of ammo...  GL

I don't know of one and don't think there are any.

IOW, the Feds or BAFTE could declare that owning 20k rounds of x39 is a terrorist action. After all, they are deciding who is a terorist, so why not decide on what grounds you become a threat?

In the link posted, I have a feeling that this guy was being watched.
They never mentioned why he was pulled over
and from what I see on the shows about the FBI or DEA,
when they're ready to make a bust (pretty sure the guy is dirty),
they let the local police pull the guy over for not using his turn signal or whatever,
that way the guy doesn't suspect he is being taken down as part of a well researched sting operation,
then if they find something (which they're almost sure they will),
they use that for a reason to call in the DEA or BATFE, then the real investigation begins.
It looks like the police were just lucky to have pulled the guy over when they did,
when it is really the end of a long drawn out investigation by the BATFE or FBI.

As far as the original question of the OP,
unless there is some sort of "city ordinance" or local "fire codes",
you should be able to own as much ammunition as you can afford.

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
Agreed no such law, yet they are arresting and confiscating ammo regardless...  Dam I wish I could find the other article that someone here posted... Unfortunately the search pgm sucks and if you put in 30,000 (just as an example) as a search word it searches 30 and 000 because of the comma so it gives you a lot of non related results....  If you use more the 1 word it will list almost all of the posts :lol:...

If I come across it I'll post it....   GL

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
yet they are arresting and confiscating ammo regardless... 

No they're not. I don't see where you get that from the article you posted.

BB

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
yet they are arresting and confiscating ammo regardless... 

No they're not. I don't see where you get that from the article you posted.

BB

Police arrested Garcia after he had left Interstate 495 at Exit 49 Thursday. They said they found 10,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. His two young daughters also were in the car, police said.

Sorry BB I keep forgetting that cops are stupid, they arrested the guy and left the evidence in his car. So when it comes time for the trial and the judge asks where is the evidence they are going to tell the judge that they left it in the car and now the car is gone :roll:...  I do not believe that an article has to spell everything out for a person to imagine what happened to it....   

Anyway to answer the OP's question is it illegal to own as much ammo as he/she wants? NO, I suggest that you do not buy all at one time unless you know whom you are purchasing it from and they know you...  GL

Gilli-San

• Life Member
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 07:47:55 AM »
Thanks for the help. My UPS driver asked me some pointed questions one day. That's what got me curious.

Workingzombie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Defending liberty with a communist-made rifle
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
My UPS driver asked me some pointed questions one day. That's what got me curious.

What kind of questions? I wouldn't answer any of them. It's none of his business. If he keeps it up, tell him you'll call his manager for harassment.

I can see why the media and the local LE's would make a big deal about the amount of ammo, even though it was not the reason for the guy being arrested. WZ adjusts his tin foil hat. It's all about campaigning the general sheeple to push for and accept future laws and regulations to limit ammo in the future.
"No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up!"

-Lily Tomlin

"Smells like government"
                                        -Wolverine

Gilli-San

• Life Member
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »
Well it went something like this: "Hey what's the deal with all the 7.62x39 your buying?" My answer just saving up for a rainy day. Driver "you look like your getting ready for WW3".

Answer: No just buying for me and some friends that don't have credit cards. Driver " I got an AK at home and I used to have one of those, you know gun dealer licenses bout 10 years

ago, what kinda AK do you have?" Answer: I just have an old SKS from the 50's, I like really old rifles. Driver: SKS huh? Answer: Yeah they only hold ten rounds and the magazine

doesn't come off they came out before the AK's. Thanks and see you next time.

I live in the country and always have the same driver and I don't think he knows much about guns. That's what got me to thinking.