Author Topic: Why are ak magazines curved?  (Read 4416 times)

Defndr

• SKS Expert
Why are ak magazines curved?
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »
My little girl saw one of my AK magazines and asked why they are curved and not strait like the AR mags.  I had never really thought about it before.  Of course I made up some story about the bigger bullets and it would be too long if it was  strait and the spring needed an angle to push them up.   :lol: 

I am sure there is a very easy explanation to why they are curved.  Does anyone know?

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Why are ak magazines curved?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »
 It makes them slightly more compact, so you can have a slightly lower profile shooting from cover. I am sure there is also some mechanical benefit to it as well.

FWIW, AR 30 round mags also have a bit of curve to them, it's just not as pronounced....
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

thespork

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »
Its not a compactness thing, its a geometry thing. They have to because of the taper of the case..

Look at a .223 compared to a X39 case, the .223 case is more or less straight, the x39 has a visible taper.

Think about it from a geometry perspective...

The reason, aids in extraction.. All the extractor has to do is move the case the slightest bit and the entire case is clear of the chamber.. A straightwalled case has to slide the entire thing out before its clear...

In a fouled gun, it can make the difference between going bang and not going bang...

gunlover

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
I also believe it has to do with the feeding issue as well.....  GL
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson & Gunlover

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
 Plus, it looks cool.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Defndr

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »
Thanks guys.  My kids are always asking me questions that make me think.

I tried to tell her it was because it looked cool but she wasn't buying that.   :lol:

onebigelf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
I believe it's because the rounds are bent to allow them to shoot around corners.

John

onebigelf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
OK, sorry.  Couldn't resist.  TheSpork is correct.  The mags are curved, and must be, because the 7.62x39 round is tapered.  The taper eases feeding and extraction. 

John

ToTheTeeth

• SKS Expert
  • Freedom got an AK
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
Its not a compactness thing, its a geometry thing. They have to because of the taper of the case..

Look at a .223 compared to a X39 case, the .223 case is more or less straight, the x39 has a visible taper.

Think about it from a geometry perspective...

The reason, aids in extraction.. All the extractor has to do is move the case the slightest bit and the entire case is clear of the chamber.. A straightwalled case has to slide the entire thing out before its clear...

In a fouled gun, it can make the difference between going bang and not going bang...

+1
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick rule#5... and I'm all out of bubblegum." George Nada (Roddy Piper)

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
Your daughter is alert, smart, and seeks knowledge.  You are one lucky man!!!

Just show her this..............

And then see if she asks "WHY??????"  The guys have given you the answers to that so you will be the wise old father.   :lol:

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

Defndr

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
Ah yes, a picture is worth a thousand words to an 8 year old.  That gave me an idea so we just laid out 10 7.62 x 39 rounds  and 10 .223 rounds.  That made it very easy to see why the AK mag is curved.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »
Wow!

I thought it happened because they SHRUNK!

LG  :lol:

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
If you notice, the AK-74 mags aren't as curved.

Striker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
Hmmm I learned something today  :)    Betcha I can get a beer out a few friends over this one  :)  :)
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
Hmmm I learned something today  :)    Betcha I can get a beer out a few friends over this one  :)  :)

I'm pretty sure I learn at least one thing from this board every day. Today was why magazines are curved and Toad has lots of funny posters..........
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running