Author Topic: The HITECH Magazine?  (Read 2215 times)

Devin_Burns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
The HITECH Magazine?
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »
Anyone use these?

http://www.rifletech.com/mask1.htm

They seem to fit the bill of a detachable magazine in the SKS. AK style mag changes without the SKS-D or SKS-M. At least that's what I'm gathering from this. The only problem I see is that they look like they cost $95.00!!!
Located at the First Baptist Bar and Grill.
Remember to checkout the SKSBoards chat room!

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: The HITECH Magazine?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »
I suppose- they're actually a product similar to the Cobray or the one being discussed in another current thread

Instead of the duckbill being part of the mag, that portion is a separate adapter that is attached to the rifle

If you look at the prices of those handmade DC mags and compare them to how much a surplus AK mag goes for you'll see why they're not usually compared as similar products

Not many takers for a "hundred dollar mag in a two hundred dollar rifle" setup
If you don't know, shut yer hole

Devin_Burns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
I went ahead and called the factory, impressions:

1. The sales guy is reaaaally long winded. All I mentioned was a post to SKSboards and he gave me a lecture on why not to trust the internet. Then I told him it wasn't a blog, but a board, and he stated something to the effect that "they don't know what they're talking about". I can't remember, it feels like hours ago.

2. The HITECH Magazines are all fitted for your rifle apparently. You give them the make, serial, etc, and they dig up one of theirs that is of similar build and they make sure the magazines and adapter you order is as close to the spec of your rifle as possible.

3. They have a deal going right now where if you order one at the price of $95.00 (wow, you could get six tapco's for that price), they'll drop the cost of any magazine by ten dollars, and if you order four or more total magazines they drop them to $65.00! Still very expensive. Very, VERY expensive. I'm getting the feeling if they just dropped their magazine prices they could steal Tapco's market.

4. It takes two days to make the magazines and test them according to the sales-guy. Once tested and certified, they ship. No in-store sales. They apparently have US-Military deals going that prevent us from even visiting their factory. So if your in Fenton, your going to have to have them shipped anyway.

The main draw-back here is the price. For a $250-$350 rifle, spending $95.00 for a magazine and adapter, and the $65.00 for everything after that, we are talking big bucks. It takes a $540 to make this work if you spent $250 rifle, $640 for $350 rifle.

The idea and design seem sound though.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Did you notice they also have a whole page of accessories that are the same stuff you can buy anywhere else (without their "custom tuning and fitting" of course) for only five or six times the normal price?  :lol:

They also have a Yugo muzzle brake that will increase accuracy by 600%

A bullpup based on an inexpensive drag-queen stock for $475

Most new SKS owners have stumbled across DC engineering/Rifletech in their journey  8)
If you don't know, shut yer hole

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
I defend DC once in a while but in all honesty.......the owner is full of sh!t sometimes.  They talk big about military contracts etc.  Its balogna.  He stated that there gas system mount was a floating design??????  There claims go against many fundamentals of firearms engineering.  There products are expensive but sometimes its the only choice.  One of these days I am either going to try there bullpup or make an attempt to copy it.  I will warn you that DC does not refund your money if your not happy with there product.  You can send it in for it to be worked over but they will not refund you.  They say that there products are custom fit to each rifle.

Honestly, there mags are not that good.  Other than the horrid looks and crude finishing the follower design is unstable leading to feeding problems.  They dont always fit despite their claims (big surprise!).  Sometimes their mags work great.  Sometimes they dont.  Its a big gamble to make with the prices as high as they are.  Think about it like this......5 or 6 magazines will buy you an SKS AK mag variant and you can get 10,20,30,40 mags for $10-$20 that are as rugged and reliable as they come.

Most of there optics mounting products are in fact chinese products that have been modified (gas tube and cover mounts).  The older cover mounts were just standard sks reciever covers with bar stock welded on the side.

All the stocks they offer including the bullpup are modified ATI dragunov stocks.

I dont know what to think about there muzzlebreaks but the claims raise attention and I think thats the reason behind the 600% accuracy claim.  Everyone talks about it gives them free publicity.

Like I said I have defended them before but you can probably do just as well with some tinkering.

Then again I dont know what I am talking about and you cannot trust these boards.  Its a giant conspiracy against DC Engineering that stems from the SKSboards.com.  Thats why all of us come here.........its to badmouth DC engineering and spread disinformation.

brownwood

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
I used these mags several years ago when they were about 20 bucks apiece.  You have to put thgis weird metal thingy in the stock to provide the front latch.  After a lot of work and fiddling thye worked pretty well.  I dont think they were worth it at 20 bucks, much less a C note.

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:45 PM »
They also made them with the tab attached

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

Devin_Burns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:49:23 PM »
magnut, your strangely echoing what the sales guy said on the phone about "people online". I'm getting the feeling this isn't the first time someone said something bad about their products.

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
I have two of the SKS Clips with the duckbill.  One works great, the other does not and jams on the last round every time.  When I defend DC its ussually to the tune that their products can work.  I Think the scope mounts are pretty good.  Probably the best of the Reciever cover mounts.  But we are talking $15 to $175 comparisons of reciever cover mounts.  The magazines are a real bargain if you compare the prices on the scope mounts.

DCs is basically just a loosley based custom shop.  They have no stockpile that I am aware of.  Every time I have ever talked to them they needed time to "make" the product.  I am sure if you send them your rifle, and they use it for fitting, they can make anything that will work. 

You cant look at DC as Tapco.  DC is basically just a shop and makes things on special order.  Tapco is more of a company that has all the stuff made in mass amounts and ships them to dealers.

I still want to know what the military contracts are.  I dont think they are firearms related but I could be wrong.

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
Some of you idiots should maybe go out and get a job and then you
might be able to afford accessories that work!  Rifletech stuff is expensive but it's the best - and it rocks!
You get what you pay for my friend!

I smell an employee......

Also something else that stinks of thread necromancy.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

BillyDa59

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »
That company is a bunch of con-artists. They buy other companys' products are resell them marked up at ridiculous prices.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=64249.0

Flyingmonkeys

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
Some of you idiots should maybe go out and get a job and then you
might be able to afford accessories that work!  Rifletech stuff is expensive but it's the best - and it rocks!
You get what you pay for my friend!

I smell an employee......

Also something else that stinks of thread necromancy.

"Pay No Attention To That Man Behind the Curtain".................
"As it is above, so it is below"
     W.G. A & A F M No: 84

bend299

• SKS Shooter
  • No idiot its not an ak its an sks.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »
Listening to you idiots talk - it's almost like watching the movie Dumb & Dumber.  Some of you freaks
on this board really do yourselves a disservice by even talking. It's like listening to a broken record.
Some company pisses you off (e.g., HITECH, Rifletech, Tapco, USA Mag, etc.) and instead of talking
about what works for you from other companies - You arrogant sob's drag in your dirty laundry!

You sound like women all suffering from PMS at the same time! Good god girls - get a life and leave the
good old boys alone!  You really do the gun grabbers a great service - just keep talking till you run
them all out of town. Friggin idiots!

You know what rule #5 him if he doesnt like what we have to say he can go somewhere else. This is a discussion board and discussion can be negative or positive. And whichever it may be if it comes from this board you can bet that it is more than likely correct.

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Listening to you idiots talk - it's almost like watching the movie Dumb & Dumber.  Some of you freaks
on this board really do yourselves a disservice by even talking. It's like listening to a broken record.
Some company pisses you off (e.g., HITECH, Rifletech, Tapco, USA Mag, etc.) and instead of talking
about what works for you from other companies - You arrogant sob's drag in your dirty laundry!

You sound like women all suffering from PMS at the same time! Good god girls - get a life and leave the
good old boys alone!  You really do the gun grabbers a great service - just keep talking till you run
them all out of town. Friggin idiots!

If you don't like it, why post here in such an asinine manner?

There are plenty of positive topics here on what works consistently. By posting nothing but rude and ignorant posts you look, smell and act like a forum troll.

If you aren't a troll then actually read this board some more and post in an intelligent and non derogatory manner and you will be surprised how much you can learn.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

LESchwartz

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Software Geek in Sunny Minnesota
    • SKS FAQ
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
I smell some rule #5 violations . . . please keep it civil.
For more info, see my SKS FAQ:  http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html