Author Topic: How Long to leave Mags loaded?  (Read 1973 times)

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
How Long to leave Mags loaded?
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
First off, I usually don't leave too many mags loaded (unless they're in a gun :)) and when I do, I usually cycle through them once a month or so.

I've been told that you can't damage AK mags by leaving them loaded. So is there any rule of thumb on leaving any AK mags loaded? We're talking surplus mags, Tapco, AK-74, etc......

I have read on the Romanian drums that you don't want to leave them loaded for more than 72hrs, but that's the only point of reference I have.

Thanks!!

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
Re: How Long to leave Mags loaded?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »
I've left AK mags loaded for over two years and had no problems. A Colt Armorer instructor said they have tested M16 mags that were loaded for up to ten years with no problems.
Some SA agents out at the Airbase had troubles with some M9 mags that had been loaded forever but not sure if it was due to that or poor maintenance.
Glock, Smith and H&K pistol mags I've left loaded for months at a time with no problems.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

Zer0DazE

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I will deport you
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
What would happen?

The spring does not wear by being compressed.  Working a spring will wear it out.

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
  I've said this before,  but I'll say it again.  I inherited my Grandfather's .45 Colt that he wore while flying in WWII.  It came with three magazines loaded with 43' head stamped bullets that were a little "green around the gills".  These magazines had been loaded since at least 45'.  I took the pistol out in 02' or so and all rounds went off without a hitch.  Later those same magazines performed fine. 
   I'm not scared to leave magazines loaded......

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Generally I would trust military surplus mags, more than commercial made mags for long term load.

I load only 25 rounds into a 30rd mag for storage, so far no problems when I've used the mags..

On another note, shot my enheirted M1 Carbine, one of the mags finally failed. My dad had them loaded w/ ammo since the 60's, but I've shot it quit a few times in the last year. Been looking for the mag spring but can't find one for 30rd mags...

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »
It won't hurt the mag to be loaded.  But generally a magazine is not a good storage place for the ammunition.  A sealed tin or battlepack is much better to store the ammunition to prevent any degrading.., if it is to be kept long term.

vz58kid

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:39 PM »
The Mag that will be hurt is the M16/AR type due to if keeping fully loaded extended periods, the Aluminum feed-lips will spread apart! So on these load 3 rounds less than max.

Jack-O

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »
When I was in the service we pulled some old preloaded M-16 20 rounders out of a sealed can dated from vietnam (this was in the mid 90's)  the mags were all loaded with 20 rounds.  They all seemed to work fine.

I also had some steel SKS mags from when they were made decently (late 90's and they remained loaded for at least 10 years.  Out of 4 20's and and 4 30's they all ran fine too.

if you are concerned about it, it wouldnt hurt to down load the mags a few rounds to reduce pressure.

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
The only problem you would have with magazies sitting for a long time,
would be the spring and inside walls rusting.
I've bought quite a few AK mags from gun shows that when
disassembled and examined, were dry and beginning to rust inside.

So if you have alot of mags loaded, keep then the same as you would boxed ammo.
That is, inside a sealed ammo can or something similar.

hillbillyboy

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
what i've always heard is that its not keeping it loaded that wears out the spring, but a lot of loading and unloading.
"Screw 911......I dial 7.62x39, 12GA, 40SW, or .38SPL for my problems.
911 is simply for cleanup."- Lone Eagle.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »
Keeping your magazines loaded for extended periods of time is fine.  I've had some loaded since 1993 and they're fine.  Naturally, not keeping them loaded and stored that long is better, but they'll still work.

The Iraqi military had magazines pre-loaded for probably at least 20 years and stored.  Those seemed to have worked fine, too.  As mentioned, as long as rust doesn't get to them they'll likely be OK.  Not as good as a new spring inside but will work.

Tyler Durden

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • First rule of gun craft. Guns are the stars.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 12:23:41 AM »
 Should the magazines  be cleaned, and inspected as a part of the weapon? How do you clean/ inspect the Mag's? Of the SKS/AK, or any other firearm? Pistols, rifles? :scratch:
My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Should the magazines  be cleaned, and inspected as a part of the weapon? How do you clean/ inspect the Mag's? Of the SKS/AK, or any other firearm? Pistols, rifles? :scratch:

First take the mag apart. Take a rag of any kind and wipe the entire spring down getting all the dirt and grime off. I have some military .50 cal brushes that work great for cleaning mags, if not use a good firm toothbrush. Make sure you clean around the lips well.
Check the spring for any bends or other defects, put a light coat of oil on the spring. I normally put some oil between my thumb and finger and run it all along the spring and then just wipe it off with a clean rag. Check the mag for any dents that would prevent the spring from moving freely up and down. Check the lips of the mag for any dents, cracks of other defects, compare it to one that you know works well for any deformations. Wipe the follower down looking for the same cracks, dents and deformations. I don't like to put any oil on the inside of the mag, other than the spring unless there are signs of rust.

my762buzz

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
I have kept an 870 6 round  magazine fuly loaded for some years. Works fine.
I have a few glock 33 round magazines kept fully loaded. They work fine.

On the other  hand, plastic shells start to deform in a tube magazine.
Some buckshot shells I kept loaded for 2 or more years straight started to
get very deformed from the stress. Slugs deform less and do better in my experience.

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
We always had more trouble with the crimp on the 00 then anything.