Author Topic: CBPRS SKS bullpup Stock, mini review  (Read 10002 times)

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
CBPRS SKS bullpup Stock, mini review
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »
I heard about these new stocks and thought they looked kinda cool.

they can be found here:

http://cbrps.com/Products.html

So I was intrigued enough to fork over some cash for one of these beasties.
Bernie Wolfe, the owner and designer was very helpful and wouldn't take my money till he was ready to ship.
I ordered the black long chassis SKS stock on Monday, and paid for it Wednesday, it arrive on friday.

First impressions were that it's COOL looking, very much reminded me of the British SA80 rifle the huns* used to point at me in my youth.

I dropped my Yugo 55/66A1 into it with no hassles whatsoever, most people will have trouble removing the wood handguard unless the drill out the ferule pin to remove the endcap, its a ***** to hammer out.

I closed it all up good and tight (the action is secured in place by a u shaped piece that traps the barrel against the lower chassis and is secured with a detented pin.

heres how it looks :

now for functionality

The scope mount will not hold zero, as its not secured to the action.
Its like screwing a scope to the wooden stock on your rifle, not very solid and no matter how tight the match between action and stock, there will be shifting, leading to a wandering zero

Not to fear, I've be running a scoutscopes.com mount, a short rail that replaces the rear sight, the stock is relieved enough to allow this

the trigger is made no worse (SKS triggers aint great to start with) by the bar used to actuate it, and there appears to be no flexing

the top cover blocks the use of stripper clips, but can be flipped over to allow for this

* all brits are hun bastards ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:42:04 PM by harmoniums »

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
Re: CBPRS SKS bullpup Stock, mini review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »
the magazine release tab can easily be reached if you want to run detachable duckbills (outside of California of course)

Also there is a foldaway front pistol grip

Now the real problem.
The stocks fit and finish scream "ALPHA PROTOTYPE"
Its neat how its all put together but there are rough sawn edges, panels not quite matching up etc.
This stock would be a killer if they went the injection molding route.
Maybe this will come in the future, but for 350 bucks as it is right now, they are not quite there, I really hope the "pro" this up a bit more.

please see the attached pics

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
Alpha prototype is a complement after spending $350 brother, I would be PISSED first at me for buying it and second at them for selling it as a finished stock.  You must be easy to please and have deep pockets that don't stay full for very long.  Are you the guy who buys all the stuff in the racks at the checkout line at the grocery and drug store?   :lol:

Seriously, according to your review I can't tell if you are disappointed, satisfied, pissed, happy, or just couldn't care either way and it was $350 worth of fun to put together????? :?

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »
Alpha prototype is a complement after spending $350 brother, I would be PISSED first at me for buying it and second at them for selling it as a finished stock.  You must be easy to please and have deep pockets that don't stay full for very long.  Are you the guy who buys all the stuff in the racks at the checkout line at the grocery and drug store?   :lol:

Seriously, according to your review I can't tell if you are disappointed, satisfied, pissed, happy, or just couldn't care either way and it was $350 worth of fun to put together????? :?

I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll hang onto it.
I wouldn't advise people buy at this price point though, wait until they get their act together.
I'm not interested in throwing invective about though.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »
Found an interesting note on Acetron- only rated for limited service in continuous sunlight

Looks like an interesting project to make- looks to have a good couple hours of R&D

Maybe I'll have to start a website if someone is actually paying money for THAT

I didn't think from the site that they were doing this as a serious business- hope not anyways
If you don't know, shut yer hole

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »
Sometimes an honest review requires invective, I'm not saying you are not being honest, but if the thing is a POS then you should say so.  From all appearance, it is a POS.

What price point would you pay for it, from your review I would not pay any price point.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »
At least it is eco-friendly and biodegrades in sunlight  :o

They should market it as the only "Green" bullpup stock.

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »
Sometimes an honest review requires invective, I'm not saying you are not being honest, but if the thing is a POS then you should say so.  From all appearance, it is a POS.

What price point would you pay for it, from your review I would not pay any price point.

I think it was a fair review, I'm not in the business of trashing some dudes start up, hes got a cool design (eye of the beholder albeit).
I did state its not ready for prime-time and will leave it at that.
heck Panoz, if you've got a design I like, I'll front you the start up cost for 50% of the profits

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »
Here is my custom 10/22 stock design, if you want one I will custom make you one for $200.  8)  We can negotiate the startup capital that I will require  8)

RollingThunder

• SKS Sniper
  • The Art of Roland Millington
    • The art of Roland Millington
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
Darn. I'll have to bring my cutting board in from the front yard. Don't want it melting.
"I also wondered if the damage would have been as severe if the chicken hadn't been tied to the barrel"

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »
You must be easy to please and have deep pockets that don't stay full for very long.  Are you the guy who buys all the stuff in the racks at the checkout line at the grocery and drug store?   :lol:

You know back in Ireland "deep pockets" means you're tight with your money
For example

Seamus : "Paddy, you'd be a long time waiting for that prick John-Joe to buy you a pint"
Paddy   : "How so Seamus?"
Seamus : "Deep pockets Paddy, deep pockets and short arms"

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 12:19:37 AM »
OK, bad analogy, shallow pockets

Intended to mean that you are willing to spend your money rather freely without much worry about the product or outcome.  Not intended as an insult BTW.  I just personally would have not given $350 in the hopes that it was going to be a good/quality stock, but your money is yours to spend.  Like I stated above, I would be kicking myself over an impulse buy that I would have regretted.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 12:23:09 AM »
It does have that morning after look.

I think I'll pass.

LG  :?

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »
It does have that morning after look.

I think I'll pass.

LG  :?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coyote+ugly
1.    coyote ugly

A situation encountered after a night of consuming alcohol whereby a person, usually male, wakes the next morning in a strange bed with a sexual partner from the previous evening who is completely physically undesirable (see ugly, nasty, two bagger) and sleeping on the man's arm. The hapless male would rather gnaw off his own arm than wake the woman and have to face the ills of his intoxicated choices the previous evening. Originating from a phenomena whereby a coyote captured in a jaw trap will chew off its own leg to escape certain death.

harmoniums

• SKS Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 12:46:39 AM »
OK, bad analogy, shallow pockets

Intended to mean that you are willing to spend your money rather freely without much worry about the product or outcome.  Not intended as an insult BTW.  I just personally would have not given $350 in the hopes that it was going to be a good/quality stock, but your money is yours to spend.  Like I stated above, I would be kicking myself over an impulse buy that I would have regretted.

Actually Panoz, I've been blessed these last few years, that I can afford a few little indulgences.
My secret? fat chicks, 5 bucks a pop, they finish quick cos they're so glad for it!