Author Topic: Hungarian SKS?  (Read 2140 times)

BMOTOXSTAR

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Gunsmith
Hungarian SKS?
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
So I call the local Pawn Shop.
They say they have a Hungarian SKS, bolt action...not sure if it is single shot or not.
They Pawn broker says it has a little cup on the bottom of the stock by the trigger,says he is not sure if it is single shot or what. Then he says it has a bayonet & that it is Hungarian.

I think he means he has a Yugo SKS,I could be wrong. Says he wants $175 and that he is ready to deal.
I am going after work to check this thing out.

Did they make a Hungarian SKS?

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Hungarian SKS?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
no.

0uTkAsT

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
Oooh so it's one of those rare grenade launching Hungarian single-shot bolt action semi-auto carbine rifles with the 10-round magazine clip, right? :roll:

Go take a look at it. Sometimes you can use how little a seller knows about the item to your advantage. I just bought a real clean SKS that had the barrel shortened to 17.5" for $225 because the guy thought it was "a very rare Chinese Paratrooper". I was able to prove otherwise, so he dropped his figure according to what I thought was fair price for a sporterized Norinco.

pokeoutmyeye

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
I would see what it is, if it's a Yugo SKS and he's willing to go lower than 175 you got yourself a pretty good deal, just check the gun first to make sure there's no hidden surprises.  Never hurts to look

clutchdust

• SKS Gunsmith
  • boycott repressed labor chinese goods
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
A bolt action SKS is like having a fresh out of the oven peanut butter gummy bear ice cream pizza.   :roll:

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
A bolt action SKS is like having a fresh out of the oven peanut butter gummy bear ice cream pizza.   :roll:

That would be about awesome to the Nth degree!!
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Remingtonman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
My guess its a Hungarian M44, with a folding bayonet.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »
I'd guess that you're right.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

BMOTOXSTAR

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »
So I get to the Pawn Shop & it appears to me that this so called SKS is a Mosin Nagant. I had no idea on what to even look for on one of these. The numbers that I did see all matched. It had the letters SK. The bayonet folded to the side of the rifle on the right.

The tag said 7.62 X 54, Hungarian.
I walked out dissapointed. I have been wanting to get into Mosin Nagant's but I want another SKS first.
What a goose run.

I did not even bother with questioning the owner of the shop, it was clearly to me, not an SKS.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Where are you located, somebody else here might be interested. If it is in good clean condition, a Hungarian M44, and you can talk him down to $100-$125 it would be a good buy. Maybe even a great buy.

Remingtonman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
I agree fun rifles, and prices seem to be going up on them.

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »
Even if there were a Hungarian SKS it wouldnt be import marked that way because there havent been any SKSs imported from Hungary.  If, like EG, NK, NVA, a Hungarian made SKS existed without import marks (like say a vet bringback) then I doubt a pawnshop employee or owner would be able to decipher the myriad of markings on it in order to determine that it was in fact made in Hungary.  Although rumours of Hungarian SKSs appear from time to time, there has never been any evidence and by now I am sure they would have been discovered and imported.

LS6TT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »

is it bad that that actually sounds really good?

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »
is it bad that that actually sounds really good?

That is what I was saying
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

nevada

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
According to this site there weere some Hungarian SKS's made.
http://www.hungariae.com/Simonov.htm