Author Topic: Moose Hunting with 7.62x39  (Read 12054 times)

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
Moose Hunting with 7.62x39
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:38 AM »
Ok before you all start saying something let me explain.

I been wondering if I could use my SKS for hunting moose no more than 100 meters.
Now I been hunting moose since I was 6-7 years old and have killed more than enough, I am 24 now.
I used 8mm Mauser, 30-06, and 30-30. They have all done the job.

Now I see that the ballistics for a 30-30 are almost similar to the 7.62x39.
The 30-30 is a heavier bullet and has a bit more velocity (I think it does, not for sure).
I looked for other websites pertaining to using an SKS (or any 7.62x39 for that matter) as a moose hunting rifle, and it's always BIG no, you ALWAYS need a .300 Mag or a .338, AT least! I also read somewhere all you need is 1,000 foot pound energy to kill a moose. Doesn't that mean the SKS is quite able within range? Now where I come from (Canada), I have met people (old indians) who shot moose with a .22 LR...I found that incredible but they say just aim behind the ear and that's all it takes...anyways I think it's all about shot placement.

What do you think? I am confident I could kill a bull moose with my SKS and SP ammo at a reasonable distance, nothing like 400 or 800 yards! Now I do prefer that good ol' bolt action for hunting, because of the obvious reasons, but I had to kill a black bear that was charging me one time in the bush...I let of 5 shots and that bear did a complete somer circle and tumbled on its back and was dead instantly (This was with FMJ ammo too because I wasn't hunting at the moment) Although I wish it didn't come to that, it had to be done. Now I wonder if I had my bolt action with me, one shot and if I would have missed and that would probably be it. So yeah I don't plan on shooting a moose at a long range with the SKS. I just want to know what you guys feel about this?
Any feedback is appreciated.

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
Re: Moose Hunting with 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »
First  welcome redwarrior

I can guess that there is no legal minimum caliber to use in Canada for moose ??

People take moose with bow and arrow so you are correct it is shot placement and distance.

150 gr bullet at less than 50 yards should be lethal.

I'd use one of the larger calibers but hey that's just me  have fun.

My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
Sorry but I got to work and thanks for posting!
As for hunting moose in Canada, you need to use hunting ammunition. I think the .270 caliber or higher is what is allowed to be shot at for moose. The 7.62x39 is a .30 cal so I don't see why it would be illegal.
Anyways gotta go, I'm running late. Thanks and good bye!

grousedog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »
This may be alittle of topic,but are there any laws against using a shotgun for moose?

That being said ,no reason a SKS shouldn't work.Like nhblaze said,people take moose with a bow.

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
it would probably be ok, but you HAVE to limit yourself to close, sure shots.  so if the moose is trotting at 100 yards, i wouldn't take the shot.

the larger calibers give you more of a extra killing power so if your shot isn't perfect it still will work.  7.62x39 doesn't have that extra power for moose sized game
guns be funs

Groovy Mike

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Much like the 22lr you mentioned, it CAN be done.  But it would be a very poor choice to deliberately stalk moose with.  If it were a survival situation you could hunt with it, but why not use a more suitable cartridge like 303 British or a 30-06?

I have gutted 400 lb mule deer with a one inch blade, but given the choice, I'd rather use a 3 inch blade adn bone saw....
"Turn to me and be saved...for I am God and there is no other." Isaiah 45:22

Jug

• SKS Sniper
  • Eat right,Live right, Die anyway
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
Just my two cents worth,  It would work but so would a club if your close enough.  :lol:

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »
As for using a shotgun for moose, I have only met one person who said they killed one and that was a side-of-the-highway-shotgun slug. If you catch my drift. I am almost certain you are not allowed to use a shotgun or any kind of ammo like sabots or slugs to hunt moose. The range is a factor when it comes to killing power at distances past 50 yards for such a big animal (or mammal). Or so I would think.You need something with certain penetrating power to break through 1-2 inch thick hide and fatty tissue, plus solid bones and of course hit vitals. Like a BULLET. I would never consider shooting a moose with shotgun. Even deer hunters I talk to don't like to use shotgun and prefer a rifle. And the old Indians I was referring to the ones who used a single shot bolt action .22 LR. Cooey's, very accurate and I know this because I had one when I was 7 years old. I aim for the partridges head, I hit the partridges head. By the way I AM a status Indian and I have exclusive hunting rights to harvest game and fish for my sustenance, anytime of the year, but we still have to follow Firearm laws. Anyways I would be happy to answer any of your questions. :)

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
Just my two cents worth,  It would work but so would a club if your close enough.  :lol:

Lol, yeah but once you use that club I think the bull moose would just trample you to death, leaving you a soft mushy carcass. Now if you wanna get funny, I heard of people "snaring" moose. It involves steel cable along a moose trail...

longspring

• MFCEO
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Just a guy on a buffalo .
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
As for using a shotgun for moose, I have only met one person who said they killed one and that was a side-of-the-highway-shotgun slug. If you catch my drift. I am almost certain you are not allowed to use a shotgun or any kind of ammo like sabots or slugs to hunt moose. The range is a factor when it comes to killing power at distances past 50 yards for such a big animal (or mammal). Or so I would think.You need something with certain penetrating power to break through 1-2 inch thick hide and fatty tissue, plus solid bones and of course hit vitals. Like a BULLET. I would never consider shooting a moose with shotgun. Even deer hunters I talk to don't like to use shotgun and prefer a rifle. And the old Indians I was referring to the ones who used a single shot bolt action .22 LR. Cooey's, very accurate and I know this because I had one when I was 7 years old. I aim for the partridges head, I hit the partridges head. By the way I AM a status Indian and I have exclusive hunting rights to harvest game and fish for my sustenance, anytime of the year, but we still have to follow Firearm laws. Anyways I would be happy to answer any of your questions. :)

Almost 20 big game animals later , I can assure you that slugs can take care of most if not all ungulates in north america . A 385 grain remington corelokt will kill anything on this planet if administered properly .
http://www.ambushtactical.com/
http://www.am-tac.com/

I fear there is douchebaggery afoot. - HI-SPEED

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:55:04 AM »

I stand corrected. Nice information.

Almost 20 big game animals later , I can assure you that slugs can take care of most if not all ungulates in north america . A 385 grain remington corelokt will kill anything on this planet if administered properly .

brnmuenchow

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
 For sport no, for survival yes, and would most likely use a 154gr. soft point. Shot placement would have to be pretty spot on. You don't want to run the risk of a bad shot and the moose get away from you, and suffer from a bad .30 cal. bullet lodged somewhere in it. MY choice would be either a .30-06/.308/ or even a 7.62x54Rmm cartridge all with soft point bullets.

redwarrior

• SKS Newbie
  • I like SKS much
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
This is just something I found out myself about the shotgun use here.
Moose - Shotgun
Yes, but no person shall use a
shotgun smaller than 20 gauge
when loaded with shot or any
shotgun loaded with shot smaller
than SG or No. 1 buck.

*oh and same goes for deer and blackbear.*

That's cool, I didn't know that. I have no doubt of what you are saying longspring. You obviously have more experience that I do.

And yeah I have never shot a moose with a 7.62x39 but I am sure it can be done. I have no complaints about 30-06 and .308. But I like the German 8mm Mauser. It's a badass rifle. It even has the eagle holding the sign stamped into it. My first moose was about 2 football fields away, and I hit him in the lungs. He did not live long. That was one of the greatest days of my life lol...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:38:48 PM by redwarrior »

Twowhitehorses

• SKS Marksman
  • Behind enemy lines
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 02:49:08 AM »
Well, It should work. I would deff limit my ranges to sue shots at 75 yards or less with soft point ammo only.

A shotgun not being powerful enough...I don't agree respectfully boys.

A well constructed 12 gauge slug at 100 yards or less works just as well as a rifle on all medium and large game I've seen in my state. Now that's big deer and and Black bear (up to 500lbs). I understand a moose is a big animal ,and the cheaper made, softer foster slugs like remmington and winchester value packs at wallmart being suited mainly for white tales. Nasty, well constructed slugs like brenneke's slugs, 1-1/8 ounce slugs should do it, esp sabot slugs from lightfield, Brenneke, Winchester elites, etc should do it. If you want to be super sure, I'm sure 3" magnum slugs would work without a doubt.
"We can't live if we're too afriad to die."

longspring

• MFCEO
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Just a guy on a buffalo .
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
Well, It should work. I would deff limit my ranges to sue shots at 75 yards or less with soft point ammo only.

A shotgun not being powerful enough...I don't agree respectfully boys.

A well constructed 12 gauge slug at 100 yards or less works just as well as a rifle on all medium and large game I've seen in my state. Now that's big deer and and Black bear (up to 500lbs). I understand a moose is a big animal ,and the cheaper made, softer foster slugs like remmington and winchester value packs at wallmart being suited mainly for white tales. Nasty, well constructed slugs like brenneke's slugs, 1-1/8 ounce slugs should do it, esp sabot slugs from lightfield, Brenneke, Winchester elites, etc should do it. If you want to be super sure, I'm sure 3" magnum slugs would work without a doubt.

Only 500 feet a second slower and 400% of the x39 foot lbs ? Even with a foster ? That 629 lb elk and three others were killed with 3in Federal FOSTER slugs . 1700 feet a second and over 400 grains with almost 100% retention at full penetration . Knowing how to shoot is #1 with slugs . If that is not an issue , then at 100 yards , a well placed slug should work better than MOST .30 caliber rifles and 50-54 caliber muzzleloaders . You basically have the most badazz pump 54 caliber muzzleloader in the world .
http://www.ambushtactical.com/
http://www.am-tac.com/

I fear there is douchebaggery afoot. - HI-SPEED