Author Topic: Moose Hunting with 7.62x39  (Read 10345 times)

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • C'mon boys. Smokes, Let's Go!
    • OBEY!
Re: Moose Hunting with 7.62x39
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

I been wondering if I could use my SKS for hunting moose no more than 100 meters.

Hunters have harvested moose with arrows at 20-40 yds...Me thinks the SKS will work.
interior crocodile alligator I drive a Chevrolet movie theater

magua

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
Isn't a 12 gauge .72 cal?

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • C'mon boys. Smokes, Let's Go!
    • OBEY!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
Essentially.
interior crocodile alligator I drive a Chevrolet movie theater

longspring

• MFCEO
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Just a guy on a buffalo .
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »
 Depends on if you are shooting foster or sabot .  :lol:
http://www.ambushtactical.com/
http://www.am-tac.com/

I fear there is douchebaggery afoot. - HI-SPEED

Hunter78

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »
can it be done yes, poor choice yes.
If you choose to use a 7.62x39, then use a quality bullet, not wolf or silver bear ect.  I've seen plenty of jacket seperation on those rounds just plinking.  As others stated close range only.  Moose are tough animals not just a big deer.  Unless you have delt with them before most don't realize how thick and tough there skin is.  The moose I shot was at 370 yards and I didn't get an exit wound with a 300 RUM on a double lung hit.  For me if I'm moose hunting, I'd be buying a non-resident tag and traveling so I would want a firearm that isn't as limited in range. 
...when the blast of war blows in our ears Then imitate the action of the tiger Summon up the blood Disguise fair nature with rage And lend the eye a terrible aspect

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
It may be difficult getting within 100 yards to take a Moose, all conditions must be perfect. When I hunt deer I prefer head shots; kill or miss.

My opinion is that anything worth being done is worth being over-done. If you're surviving and 7.62x39 is all you've got, then by all means survive. But if you have access to better equipment, use it.

Good luck either way, and do post pics!

-Spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

HK91-762MM

• SKS Expert
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
 from experiance --a deer shot in the chest will find the slug smashed flat in the rear ham thats a long way to travel! I beleave  alaskan guides will carry a slug gun for grizzly bear protection. Those big heavy slugs carry  a lot of tonage ! just use em up close! within 100 yds. I bought a box of federal 3in mag slugs I fired 4   they dug 3in wide by 4in deep 3ft long trenches in the hard dirt behind the target -I kept the 5th as a souviner to remind me not to buy anymore Mag slugs....  In my light BPS they kick like a mule...

thespork

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
Canadian Mounties and game wardens use 3 inch slugs for polar bear, so yah I think it would kill a moose. For hunting a bear you might want something with more range, but it will kill it.

Mass and Caliber = real world killing power

sierra117

• SKS Expert
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Why would you even think about that when you can get a 91/30 Mosin for 79 bucks?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.html

MajMike

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Honor is a gift one gives to oneself - Rob Roy
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »
+1 sierra   The 7.62x54 will kill anything that walks on the NA continent with good hunting ammo.

μολὼν λαβέ

sailinghudson25

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
It can be done.  My favorite two rifles are the .30-30 marlin and the SKS.  I would be very skeptical about using the .30-30 and would only use 170gr commerical of 180gr handloads.  I would prefer to use the .30-30 over the SKS.  .30-30 and the SKS has roughly the same power,  .30-30 uses heavier bullets (150gr @ 2100 fps)  and the SKS uses lighter but faster bullets (123gr @ 2350fps).

The SKS would work, but I do not think it would be ethical.  SKS is not a tack driver.  Most SKS's don't have a scope.

Canada requires a hunting bullet.  However, I would pick a handloaded and bit on the hot side FMJ bullet for penetration.  Or use a soft point bullet.  Don't use a hollow point or plastic tipped spire bullet like the hornady.  I really think with an animal that big, you want penetration.  That type bullet will not penetrate much.  It would be fine for a spinal or heart shot, but those are tough shots to get on the money.   Most folks doing a double lung on a deer with an SKS do not have an exit wound.

Here is what I would use in commerical ammo.  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=781554&t=11082005

A co-worker has done it with 3 shots from a .270 in Alaska.   I wouldn't think of doing it with less than a .30-06.  IF I had elk, moose, and brown bear in my area, I would have a 375 H&H or 350 Reminton Magnum in the safe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:22:22 PM by sailinghudson25 »

noyb72

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
Not to kick up an old thread, but I wonder if any of the responders have killed as many moose as you. It sounds like you are a reasonable personable fellow, but if I do my math right, youv'e killed the better part of 2 dozen moose. That their should make you a subject matter expert. I think your OP could have gone something like this:

Hi guys, new here and wanted to let you in on something.

I've killed me a lot of moose in my day and have used a 30-30 for a few of them. The way I see it a 30-30 is close enough to a 7.62x39 and so, assuming you can hunt moose as well as I can, a 154gn soft-point from a SKS should be a dandy moose getter.

By the way
Congradulations on becoming so proficient at killing moose.

Ron
"In all the years I've sat on this bench...I heard lots of things that give me grave doubts about the human race. This ain't one of them". Judge, All the pretty horses.

fiddler

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
This is an interesting post. I was born in the Canadian Arctic and now live between Edmonton and the Rocky Mountains. I'm 45 years old and don't ever remember not hunting and eating moose. My friends and I get at least one every year, if not several. A moose easily gets up to over a 1000lbs and snaps barbed wire fences without any effort as they walk thru them. This is not a small and frail animal in our part of the world.

Having that said, in this part of the world the Ethics of hunting with a rifle/cartridge are accepted/defined by their killing energy measured in foot pounds.

A large bear or moose has a preferred "Energy required at point of impact" of 3500 ft/lbs. Adequate energy:2800 ft/lbs. Minimum energy: 2100ft/lbs

The muzzle energy of a 125 grain soft point 7.62x39 that has a velocity of 2400 feet/sec is: 1508 foot pounds. Soooo... even at ten feet away, the issue of shooting a moose is deemed to be un-ethical, even if not illegal. True, that it compares very closely to the energy of a .30-30 but poor decisions makes for a lot of wounded animals that run away and die where we don't see them. Also true that the natives used to ( past tense ??) shoot them with a .22. They we starving and thats all they had or could afford to shoot. It was also not un-common to find old lead in the spine of a fresh killed moose. A .22 has little chance of penetrating a mooses skull at any distance, they shot for the high of the neck where there is the least amount of flesh and hoped for a spinal injury. many more times than not, the animal got away, even if injured.

Even if your not into the math , SKS has too little energy for killing power of such a large animal.  I use a 30-06 with 180grain with an accurate scope, and even then they've been known to go a fair distance with a big hole and broken bones. I prefer a neck shot at no less than 150 yards, I like to see them drop on the spot and bleed out good.

Other hunting laws in our province: No hunting big game with caliber less than .230 and it must be an expanding bullet, no FMJ. 12/20 Gauge Shotgun is ok (and effective at close range) as long as it is a slug or heavy buckshot.

In defense of hunting with the SKS, I use it for early deer season and usually take a few does with it. Our whitetail does can get well over 200 pounds, but within 100 yards it still exceeds the minimum killing energy of 900 foot/pounds recommended for a deer.

The SKS is a great gun and a lot of fun to shoot small deer before the big boys come out at the end of the season. But moose?? I think its un-ethical and if its not illegal, it should be. Nobody seems to count the wounded animals and I hate seeing a freezer full of meat going to waste just cuz someone figures they're a cowboy. Shooting a large animal such as a moose with an SKS is a very sad and poor choice. If its a matter of survival: sustaining life supersedes hunting laws and ethics. 

...just my opinion, even if its worth nothing.

rotekk

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
I'm sure it is very possible to take a moose with a SKS but would I try it? No. Just not enough energy in the round to safely put a skill shot on an animal of that weight without having a long and painful drawn out event. You may have to track for hours and still not be able to find your animal.

the round was really designed as a mankiller not a beastie killer. I wouldn't go lower than a 30-06 and even then I'd want a high grain ball loaded.

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
The real question is... this is an older post, and did the OP ever take the SKS out for moose? Let's get a report!

-Spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly