Author Topic: tapco 20rd mag wont chamber?!?  (Read 1967 times)

yoshi450

• SKS Shooter
  • Yoshi450
tapco 20rd mag wont chamber?!?
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
Just picked up a tapco 20rd and of course had to file the stock which almost made it not worth it, but after i got it in i loaded 15 rounds and tried to chamber a round, when pulling the bolt back and letting go the round just gets pulled foward but the tip of the round hits right below the barrel so it never chambers, just jams...  Now i will say it is def a snug fit but doesnt seem tight enough to warrant a pinch on the mag itself but i could be wrong.  Ive read other reports but it doesnt seem like many are having the same problem.  BTW i have left the mag loaded for a day and the mag loads 21 rounds and i havnt read about that either.  I havnt fired it with the tapco mag bc if it hitting the rounds very hard like it is it seams a little dangerous.  It does feed roughly with 5-10 round loaded.

I wouldnt mind filing more off the wood stock but if it turns out to be a mag problem i wouldnt want to file any more, bc i would just put the original 10rd back in and wouldnt want it to be lose, but of course i bought the tapco for a reason and want it to work..  So any insight would def be appreciated.  Does it sound like a fit issue?  Does it sound like a breakin issue?  OR Does it sound like a faulty magazine?

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: tapco 20rd mag wont chamber?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »
One good rule of thumb is to only load a round into a mag when first testing.
Then try a couple or three.

Tightness of the stock can change the way it feeds
but it sounds to me like you're maybe using soft point ammo?
Some have had this same trouble with that even on other types of mags.

If not, the one thing that comes to mind is,
the mag may not be finding it's "sweet spot".
First, make sure the front of the mag is engaging in the proper location.
Then you would have to size the magwell to eliminate excess tightness when inserting mag.
Most use this mag with a t-6 so YMMV.

vermontcnc

• SKS Marksman
    • Gould Engineering and Machining
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
My 20 round mags do the exact same type of engage problem you describe but only with the 1st round. If I only load 19 the first round loads perfect. I think it was a "right side" issue. Just for kicks load an odd number like 3 or 5 and try again. If I have an even number and the bullet has to load from the right side of the mag it does just what you describe. As I fire it it cycles fine it was always just that first round loading after a fresh mag install. If the odd nymber trick doesn't work I would have to agree with Billy and say it sounds like a fitment issue. Good luck.
--------------------------------------------------
Custom machined SKS/AK parts

Registered lurking member since Oct. 2009
Proud member of the NRA

sks911

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
Sound like it could be an ammo issue, these rifles were designed for fmj only, no hp or sp ammo. only a slight bit of pressure at the top of the magazine can cause the feed lips to flex and feed improperly. I wouldn't worry about the original fitting too loosely, the mag really isn't held in place by the stock that much and mine doesn't make any contact with the wood at all and functions without a hitch. You may be interested in the feed ramp mod here if you want to make loading smoother and feed fmj or sp more reliably. Good luck.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=38693.0
Bullets and bacon. They'll both kill me, but I buy 'em every chance I get.

dra423

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »
I have 3 20 round tapco mags that I use with the original stock. I had the same problem and here is what fixed it. Hold the mag in your hand after loading it and push the rounds out with your thumb. As the back of the round is about to come out they get hung up on some extra plastic from the molding process. I took a small bit of sand paper and lightly took off the extra bit of plastic. I went to the range and had zero problems after this.

yoshi450

• SKS Shooter
  • Yoshi450
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »
i went out and shot it and had just a miserable time lol.  my rifle was cycleing before i took it out with the 10rd, now i took it out with the 20rd to go shooting yesterday (of course i didnt bring my backup 10rd to test out) and the first couple of rounds attempted to cycle resulting in jams them BAM.  lots of gases or dust particles flew into my face. and the chamber was stuck.  take a look  :shock:

Yugo military surplus FMJ

Keep in mind this was the third round i had shot of this "new to me" ammo, on a side note i dont think it had anything to do with the ammo but could someone tell me wtf just happened??  i shot different ammo but only had 10rds and they wouldnt cycle either except the last round was almost always ejected.  it seemed as though the recoil was a lot harder so im going to take apart the gun and see if i can notice anything wrong with the gun but could easily attribute this to the yugo surplus ammo..  Every round i shot after the cracked shell (was 3rd round shot so it could be coincidence) the chamber was stuck and id have to yank the bolt open

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »
I sure wouldn't try firing that rifle until you get this one figured out.

Looks like you had an out of battery ignition.

Just off the top of my head,
have you done anything to the chamber?
As in 8 to 4 chamber mod?
The reason I ask is because that split looks almost like the case was unsupported
when the powder charge went off.

Hard to say from my side of the computer screen.

Also, check the bore to make sure you don't have a stuck bullet,
squib rounds can happen when chamber pressure isn't high enough to clear the round.

This sure sounds like a magazine problem being the original mag works fine.

Again, cycle by hand with a round or two to make sure it's cycling fine first before firing.
That way you can maybe see what's hanging up before hand.
The plastic mags are way thicker than the metal ones so using a Tapco in
a standard wood will take some material removal to get a proper fit.

If you haven't got shooting glasses, do that.

BB

yoshi450

• SKS Shooter
  • Yoshi450
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:32:41 PM »
after firing that round we fired around 85 rounds single shot and no more shell crackings (we checked them all).  no chamber mods.  the thing is, is i only fired two rounds out of the original mag before, being that i just purchased the gun.  The two rounds fired before cycled fine but then again two rounds isnt a lot but it worked perfect.  I'm going to break it down and clean it again and oil the bolt carrier.

IS there anything that i should specifically look for when breaking the gun down?  Any area i should pay special attention to when cleaning and oiling?

After cleaning it im going to test out the original mag and test fire it

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
Mis feeds can be caused by allot of things.
You didn't say what type of rifle it is (Chicom, Yugo?),
I have heard that new Tapco mags sometimes have
some flashing from the molding process.
Take the mag apart and make sure there is nothing preventing
the follower from sliding smoothly.
Also at the feed lips, sharp corners may need a little sanding etc.

You'll know more after you test the factory mag to see if it runs with that.
Most misfeeds have to do with the magazine.
Correct angle, feed lips and tightness inside the action.

Keep us posted. 8)

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
Another question comes to mine.

Is this an all matching numbers SKS?

eps. bolt matches?

yoshi450

• SKS Shooter
  • Yoshi450
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »
as far as numbers matching im not %100 i think that it is mostly but not all #'s matching ill double check it in a minute when i take it apart.  it is a yugo, and it is cycling by hand which almost makes me think maybe its not cycling gas but at the same time it cycles the last round in the tapco mag..... damn guns lol  :cry:

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
If it is a tight fit, you should remove some additional material inside the mag well, that should solve the feed problem.  You may want to try the 8-4 feed ramp mod if you plan on shooting HP, but be careful not to remove too much material at the chamber or the split cases could become much more frequent (i.e. if you remove too much material doing the 8-4).  You can always call Tapco and have them replace the magazine.

The light ejection may be due to a dirty gas system or a bad gas valve.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

yoshi450

• SKS Shooter
  • Yoshi450
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »
i took the piston out and it was like frozen in place and was extrememly dirty.  doesnt make any sense bc it was free floating before and clean as well.  now i know it would have gotten dirty from 80 rounds but it shouldnt have been enough to warrant it being stuck in place..  REGARDLES what i have done is cleaned it out and will attempt this with the original box mag which is now really loose in the stock then if it works i will be trying to use the tapco once again.  It sounds like i may have some really dirty old ammo though.. 

Has anyone tried to use yugo mill surplus from Sportsman Guide before?

WVleo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Plinker
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »
Just for the hell of it take the tapco magazine apart and make sure the spring is oriented in the right direction. The end of the spring that first goes into the magazine should be headed in this " / " direction. Just another thing to try.....WVleo

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
Yugo surplus ammo is corrosively primed.
In case you didn't know it, you need to thoroughly clean
and lube the whole system each time you shoot.

Leave it for too long and you can get some real damage in the gas system.

Good point on the mag spring WVleo.
Some have been known to be in backwards from the factory.