Author Topic: Best SKS scope mount setup  (Read 16054 times)

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
Best SKS scope mount setup
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
OK so there are a handful of threads but I can't find anything definitive, if I want to mount a scope/dot sight on the SKS, I understand that the gas piston hand cover is not an ideal location, nor is directly to the rear cover.  I've read that the Choate and the Scout scope mounts are the best ones, I've found the Choate:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=2718&ProductNumber=18-08-02&ProductCode=22&ProductSubCodeID=160&NewProduct=0

I can't tell if it allows for cleaning without removal.  I'm also having trouble locating the scout.  (link anyone?)

I know it might be asking a lot, but I'd like to mount a small magnification scope and not have to rezero it every time I shoot the rifle, is there such a beast?  I understand the SKS isn't intended to be a distance accuracy rifle, I just want to be able to keep it in 2" at 75-100 yds.  I'm adding a Brake and Kivaari trigger job, along with whatever other goodies I can to make it more accurate, I think this is a somewhat reasonable request!  :)

Given the obvious shortcomings, what (in your infinitely wise opinions) is the best scope setup?

I appreciate the input.  I'm sure a lot of new SKS owners will appreciate being able to search for a thread like this and find it easily!

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
Re: Best SKS scope mount setup
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
Found the Scout setup:

http://161.58.206.244/store/merchant.mv?Session_ID=4B015357000D96D90000E24A00000000&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=scoutscopes&Product_Code=SK-1B&Category_Code=skscope

And realized it replaces the rear sight.  I'd ideally like something back towards the rear cover.  Is the Choate then the best bet?  Or perhaps the Remington one that you drill/tap?  Anyone have a linky to that?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:38:10 AM by AskDrTodd »

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
Tickbitesupply.com has a good selection, they claim this one to be "The most stable SKS mount ever" and it looks like you drill/tap it on the side of the receiver that is opposite where the shells eject, is that correct?

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
Well, it looks like your answering a lot of your own questions as you go. :lol:
As for the Choate, yes it allows for cleaning without removal as it is a D/T which is going to be the most stable kind of mount. I have used the Leaper's clamp type cover mount before and it worked well for me so if you don't want to drill then it is an option. I haven't tried the scout mount but am needing one myself for my current project rifle so thanks for the link. :lol: I have heard good things about the brand you pictured though.

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »
Well, it looks like your answering a lot of your own questions as you go. :lol:
As for the Choate, yes it allows for cleaning without removal as it is a D/T which is going to be the most stable kind of mount. I have used the Leaper's clamp type cover mount before and it worked well for me so if you don't want to drill then it is an option. I haven't tried the scout mount but am needing one myself for my current project rifle so thanks for the link. :lol: I have heard good things about the brand you pictured though.

Do you have a link to the Leaper's?  Does it also allow for cleaning without removal?

Thanks for the input!

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
Your last post with the pic of the mount with the tabs and lock screws is the Leaper's UTG brand mount. You can also get it from benny429 at www.milsurpstuff.com and he is a sponsor of the boards here. He gives 5% discount to members and 10% discount to supporting members of the boards. Very good guy to work with. Click on his banner ad at top with the camo'd(Tapco) paratrooper in it. Email him to get the discount code.

recklessdriver

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:31:09 AM »
i have a cheap one that tasko one ? not very good at all..  I am going to sell it along with the mount and get something real from milsurpstuff.com
Lets deploy !!!

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
Your last post with the pic of the mount with the tabs and lock screws is the Leaper's UTG brand mount. You can also get it from benny429 at www.milsurpstuff.com and he is a sponsor of the boards here.

Oh good!  I didn't realize he carried them, I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Benny this weekend, I wish I'd thought about this then.  I noticed this though:

According to the description it returns to zero upon reinstalling, is that that correct?  Because this would be ideal...

Leapers 3rd Gen SKS High-profile See-Thru Weaver Scope Mount with AccuShot 1 Tactical Rings

Latest SKS high profile scope mount designed with raised integral Weaver style rail and AccuShot 1 tactical rings. 5 slots for flexible mounting positions. All steel construction. Easy to install. Simply replaces the receiver cover. Scope return to zero when reinstalled.

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Also I noticed the Leaper's version appears to require drilling/tapping of the receiver, is that how it installs?

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
Your last post with the pic of the mount with the tabs and lock screws is the Leaper's UTG brand mount. You can also get it from benny429 at www.milsurpstuff.com and he is a sponsor of the boards here.

Oh good!  I didn't realize he carried them, I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Benny this weekend, I wish I'd thought about this then.  I noticed this though:

According to the description it returns to zero upon reinstalling, is that that correct?  Because this would be ideal...

Leapers 3rd Gen SKS High-profile See-Thru Weaver Scope Mount with AccuShot 1 Tactical Rings

Latest SKS high profile scope mount designed with raised integral Weaver style rail and AccuShot 1 tactical rings. 5 slots for flexible mounting positions. All steel construction. Easy to install. Simply replaces the receiver cover. Scope return to zero when reinstalled.

This style is noted for not holding zero very well.

Also I noticed the Leaper's version appears to require drilling/tapping of the receiver, is that how it installs?

This is the kind I referred to and will hold zero better. It is not a D/T and uses tabs that have set screws w/locking nuts that pinch the receiver to help hold zero. Works better than the above but still not as good as a D/T.

AskDrTodd

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
So I guess the Choate is #1 huh?  Can you still disassemble the rifle without removing the Choate?  What (ballpark) would a gunsmith typically charge to D/T the reciever?

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
So I guess the Choate is #1 huh?  Can you still disassemble the rifle without removing the Choate?  What (ballpark) would a gunsmith typically charge to D/T the reciever?
I used a Weaver #1 side mount. It is a D&T. Pics below

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
So I guess the Choate is #1 huh?  Can you still disassemble the rifle without removing the Choate?  What (ballpark) would a gunsmith typically charge to D/T the reciever?

Pretty much yes, the Choate is #1. Prices vary by what part of the country you are in. I would say anywhere from $50 to $100. With the right tools you can do it yourself.(drill press, good clamp, right size drill and tap, and an accurate measuring device) Keep in mind though, if you are off a little, that translates to a lot on the scope.

1mlt, how does the flat stock work for casing deflection for you?

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
So I guess the Choate is #1 huh?  Can you still disassemble the rifle without removing the Choate?  What (ballpark) would a gunsmith typically charge to D/T the reciever?

1mlt, how does the flat stock work for casing deflection for you?

I don't know yet. Haven't fired it since I built it. It is actually sitting in the safe right now. If I can find some 45 angle aluminum I'll narrow the flat and add it. I'm working on finishing my duckbill adapter right now. Made the last modification this weekend and need to go fire a few rounds to amke sure it works according to plan. Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Agouti

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »
Get one that's drill and tapped or else it won't hold hold zero. Personally, I think either the cowboy companion or the PU style mount is the best way to go.

Note: pictures are from various forums, including this one

Cowboy Companion:

http://i39.tinypic.com/20fcoxy.jpg

PU:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb182/vonSpeerhaus/IMGP0650.jpg