Author Topic: 1943 Enfield No4 Mk 1  (Read 2782 times)

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
Re: 1943 Enfield No4 Mk 1
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »

The top two are 1943s both with import marks, the bottom one is a 1945 without one.

Then this here is a 1918 Enfield built no1 mk3* also not import marked, I see more and more Lee enfields without import marks for some reason then other types of foreign surplus.

Everyone seems to have some pretty nice lookin enfields around here.

Hard to tell from the picture,is that 1945 a No.5 or a converted No.4?

No5s were never converted from No4s (unless they are fakes). They are based on the action. But the government NEVER cut down no4s into No5s. So if you see a No5 with no4 markings or markings other then that of Fazakerly or BSA Shirley then its a fake as those are the only two factories that made them. Shirley had a mark that was m47C i think and I think Fazakerly is just the name or Faz or something.

Mine is a 1945 BSA shirley that i got for like 275 at a gunshow.
"I'm just here for the gasoline." Mad Max played by Mel Gibson

ratznfragn

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
Nice No.5,then!Now that I look more closely at the photo,I see the lightening cuts in the receiver and the correct rear sight.(That's why I should look before I ask!)Yeah,I know a converted No.4 is a fake,but I have seen some that people did because they liked the look,not trying to pass it off.Of course,I also have seen people trying to pass one off as real!Then you have some of the importer conversions,like the Santa Fe,which have their own odd kind of value to some people.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:37:34 AM by ratznfragn »

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
Yeah them guys that pass em off, sometimes it gets pretty bad. Ive had to leave tables before because its been so bad. It is fun to talk in a slighty louder then normal voice when exposing all the details of a fake one owned by a guy who Obviously knows its fake but is still trying to sell it for 500. If a guy is trying to sell it for what it is a fake, i dont care, but if he's trying to pass it off to some young collector who's just getting into the game then it really burns me. I had that happen back when i was 15 when I got a mitchells mauser thinking it was real.

ratznfragn

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
I ended up having to make a guy at a table at a local gun show last year look like an a$$ because of that.At first I was just quietly asking questions and explaining the difference.Then he decided the proper course of action was to loudly treat me like an ignorant idiot.Wrong decision!It ended up with the show manager asking him to remove his table.
Hey,if it's a fake and you say it's a fake,cool.But don't try to take advantage of people you think may be less informed,as you said.

spasmonaut

• SKS Marksman
  • Computer nerd and gun nut
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »
'43 BSA MkI

..... :lol:........

Good Lord....where are the tissues?
Latest acquisitions:

1940 M1895 Nagant Revolver, M44 Laminated Mosin Nagant, Steyr M95/34 Mannlicher Carbine, and CZ-82

pmd1969

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
Just shot the Enfield for the first time last weekend...only had time to run 10 rounds thru it.  I used old mil surplus 303 from Samco, old dirty 1960's odds and ends manufacturers.  When I fired them, there was a slight delay as the back of the bolt went forward to contact the bullet...is this normal?  It didn't mis-fire or anything, just a split second delay....

Felt great in the hands, little recoil, and the bolt cycled well!  Wish I had more time to shoot :(
01 FFL dealer in Westminster, Colorado. $20 transfer fee normally - $10 for Survivor SKS Board members. Let me know if I can get you a rifle/pistol/shotgun or all 3!

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
Hope you cleaned the heck out of it. boiling water, scrubbing, boiling water, scrubbing etc. Sounds of it you may of been shooting some Pakistani ammo, and if not properly cleaned will eat your barrel like it was nothing. Just use a LOT of water when cleaning it, that will dissolve the salts  that way when you dump more water down it can flush it all out. Of course you need to oil it up quite a bit and clean it the day after shooting it the same way. I stopped shootin that Pakistani crapola and switched over to S&B commercial stuff.

pmd1969

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 10:45:59 PM »
I did clean it that way, used some ammonia first to help with the neutralization of the salts.  Must be the ammo then...rifle shoots fine.  Thanks Target.
01 FFL dealer in Westminster, Colorado. $20 transfer fee normally - $10 for Survivor SKS Board members. Let me know if I can get you a rifle/pistol/shotgun or all 3!