Author Topic: Chinese AK Kit???  (Read 3441 times)

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Chinese AK Kit???
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
Went to PA for one week to visit family and happened to stumble across this parts kit...came with everything (missing gas tube, though).  What's strange is that there was no serial numbers on any parts, it is all brand new equipment, each spring and pin was in a separate baggie with a small piece of paper labeling each part , the quantity and stating, "Made In China." 

I assume this to be Chinese also because it has no bayonet lug and it has that weird little muzzle device put on where a brake would usually go.  There are no markings on the barrel other than some randomly placed #2's and one #7 and one #6... :?

Not sure if the barrel is Chinese or USA, but the barrel under the sight block is not notched out for a barrel pin and the kit did not come with trunions, so is this for a milled reciever?  Is this Chinese??  Please help me figure out what I have since I was under the impression a Chinese AK kit was non-existent.  Here are the pics.  Oh, and I paid $75.00 for this.  How did I do??

Sorry for the poor picture quality.  I'm a bad photographer and have a $60 camera, so there ya go.
Chuck Norris does not read books.  He stares at them until they give him information.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Chinese AK Kit???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
Chinese barrels have small journals (diameters) compared to other AK variants.  Hard to impposible to find a trunnion for them., but you my stunble over one somewhere.  The sum of the missig parts may be pretty expensive.  Were it me I would try to sell off the parts.  Should be able to sell them and make a few dollars.  Or you can cast about and hope to find some parts and a receiver.  Good Luck :lol:

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
Thanks, AKBLUE.  How would I tell if this kit was intended for a milled receiver?  I'm not sure what kind of receiver this thing was designed for. :?
Chuck Norris does not read books.  He stares at them until they give him information.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
Went to PA for one week to visit family and happened to stumble across this parts kit...came with everything (missing gas tube, though).  What's strange is that there was no serial numbers on any parts, it is all brand new equipment, each spring and pin was in a separate baggie with a small piece of paper labeling each part , the quantity and stating, "Made In China." 

I assume this to be Chinese also because it has no bayonet lug and it has that weird little muzzle device put on where a brake would usually go.  There are no markings on the barrel other than some randomly placed #2's and one #7 and one #6...

Not sure if the barrel is Chinese or USA, but the barrel under the sight block is not notched out for a barrel pin and the kit did not come with trunions, so is this for a milled reciever?  Is this Chinese??  Please help me figure out what I have since I was under the impression a Chinese AK kit was non-existent.  Here are the pics.  Oh, and I paid $75.00 for this.  How did I do??

It appears you have a Chinese barrel assembly.  You can also tell the difference between a Russian/Euro pattern by looking at the front site base.  Kits aren't non-existent, but not common.  Many Chinese rifles, including others, saw the torch due to police confiscations, etc.  Some folks bought the cut-up kits and re-sell them. 

The barrel assembly doesn't have a "lug" in terms of how you see one on an AKM style rifle as that particular front sight base and gas block is configured for one of the early First Model bayonets (the old ones with the "spear point").  I'm not sure about how well or poorly you did with the purchase but you're going to have a heck of a time locating a Chinese trunnion for it, as mentioned by AKBLUE, as well as a proper Chinese rear sight leaf for the rear sight base.  Polytech parts may have the rear sight leafs and parts, though.  And, you'll have to find a Chinese receiver to use it with, although you can make it work with others.  You may have bought something that you likely can't do anything with.  You might find someone in need of one for a project if you list it for sale on an auction or the like.  But there's a couple of Chinese barrel assemblies that have been on Gunbroker for a long while with no one bidding on them. 

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, rayman1.  The kit did come with the rear sight leaf and the "spring."  The only part that I'm really missing is the ported gas tube.  I kinda figured that I was going to be in for a tough time when I bought this thing, but for $75.00 and everything is brand new...

So, the likelyhood of this kit being meant for a milled receiver is slim to none?

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
You can use a Chinese stamped receiver for that barrel assembly but finding a trunnion for it will be near impossible. It's meant for a milled receiver and would look better on one.  The trick is going to be to find a decent Chinese milled receiver.  If you choose a MAK-90 receiver, you'll likely have to deal with a slant-cut at the rear of the receiver, if that bothers you or not.  An separate, non-cut Chinese receiver will probably be very rare or an already built rifle.

You can definately work toward building your Chinese rifle on a US-made milled recevier, though.  It's going to be an expensive process - price of a milled receiver, obtaining all the parts (if you don't already have them), and the cost of the build.  Basically, a milled Chinese AK build from a kit is not for the faint of heart.  

If you're planning on building the kit as a milled rifle, may I recommend doing it as the very uncommon "M22" instead of essentially making a clone of a Polytech Legend by using the existing, complete barrel assembly.  If you switch out the front sight base with a "hooded" front sight base that also has the "fangs" underneath for the First Model bayonet (kind of like what you have on it currently), you'll be good-to-go toward the rare Chinese M22 (supposed "export version" but many had only the Chinese arsenal markings/characters and weren't just marked "M22") of the Type 56 rifle.  Certainly a unique project.  Here's some food for thought in terms of photos of M22 rifles:

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
You certainly know your Chinese AK's, rayman1.  Thank you for the information where the receiver was concerned.  Knowing that this was meant for a milled receiver, I'm definitely doing the build.  I have all the original Polytech parts, and I mean everything, just minus the gas tube.

I only spent a small amount of cash for the kit, and the milled reciever should be between $300-$450, furniture around $150, and I'll have something really "nifty."

Thanks for the pics, too!  Those pungee sticks sure look wicked.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »
Holler if you need more.

If you decide to go that route, there's a lot of builders out there that specialize in such things.

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:25 PM »
This company claims to manufacture a receiver for the Chinese barrel diameter.  Would like to go with the underfolder, but my barrel is not pinned, just pressed.  I've learned a lot about these particualr variants from rayman1 and AKBLUE, but thought I'd throw this out to see what ye thought. 

http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers/standard.html

Would furniture from K-Var (for a milled receiver) work with the Chicom?? :?

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
I guess they make the receiver with multiple barrel journal sizes eg., 19mm for Chinese and 23mm for euro barrels.  Pictures seem to vary from single to double tang type.  The standard receiver shows the euro 4 rivet pattern on the trigger guard vs the 2 rivet Chinese pattern. Dunno
You will need a bullet guide and lower receiver cover plate with the receiver so maybe order that at the same time.
If you have a builder in mind or if Firing Line is doing it make sure to ask questions first.  They are well regarded but it never hurst to be prepared.
I am not up to speed on Chinese builds as I have not assembled one from a kit.  Onll euro milled and stamped builds.  Have fun with it.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
Your barrel assembly will facilitate the underfolder receiver from The Firingline.  But keep in mind, their underfolder receivers are aesthetically for Russian/Euro milled kits.  The rear of the receiver of the milled Chinese Type 56 underfolder is different than the Russian/Euro style.  Here's the rear section of a milled Chinese Type 56 underfolder receiver - compare it to The Firingline receiver:

For aesthetic purposes, you'll likely want to stay with a full buttstock type receiver.  Also, there's no issue with using any of their receivers in terms of a two-rivet pattern vs. a four-rivet pattern on the trigger guard.  Actual Chinese military trigger guards on the milled rifles used a four-rivet pattern.  The much later commercially imported semi-automatic rifles with milled receivers (Polytech Legend and Norinco rifles) used a two-rivet pattern, likely because it was cheaper and easier to do.  You'd be just fine using either but if aesthetics must play a part in your project, stick with the Russian/Euro style four-rivet trigger guard.

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:21:16 PM »
So I could then use, say, a Romanian or Bulgarain Trigger guard?

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
If you have a builder in mind or if Firing Line is doing it make sure to ask questions first.  They are well regarded but it never hurst to be prepared.
I am not up to speed on Chinese builds as I have not assembled one from a kit.  Onll euro milled and stamped builds.  Have fun with it.

I was actually going to do this myself, and I am a rookie.  I assumed that a milled build would be easier considering the lesser rivets, and I am mechanically inclined.  Is this an unwise attempt?   

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
Well it is worth a shot. :lol:  You will need access to a drill press and a hydraulic press would be nice.  There are about 6 rivets to set but those are the trigger guard (3 or 5 depending on guard type) and one for the bullet guide.  Some sanding and fitting for the barrel and drilling the barrel pin channel is a bit tedious but if you have some shop skills you can do it.  You will need access to 7.62X39 headspace guages to set the barel location.  Other than that just some fitting and checking for mag fit and such.  A good project. :lol:

SkidMarkSteve

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
Sounds like its not that different from any other build.  I have access to all the machinery(sp?), just still a little confused with some basics regarding the ChiCom assembly...

1.  AKBLUE, you mentioned drilling out the journal for the barrel pin.  I noticed that the fixed stock   receivers by The Firing Line didnt have a hole for the barrel pin and the description didn't call for it's application.  This has had me in a quandry.
2.  Let's talk furniture.  Will K-Var for a milled rec. work?
3.  Will a Euro trigger guard assembly work?

Fellas, I apologize for all these questions, but I really do appreciate all the help and advice you both have given me thus far.  I promise I'm not being intentionally annoying. :lol: