Author Topic: magazine problem  (Read 962 times)

joe66

• SKS Expert
magazine problem
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Is there some deep dark secret to getting Tapco 20 rd mags to work? I removed the 10 rd fixed mag and bought two brand new Tapco 20 rd removable to try out. Drove to my shooting spot and started loading the mags and could tell right off there was going to be trouble. By the time I had loaded 12 rounds or so, I could push the shells down into the mag with my finger and they stayed down unless I shook the mag and then they would pop up up but not with any force :( By the time I had all 20 rds in the mag, it took several sharp raps with my hand to the back of the mag to get the shells up to the feed lips. Both mags were the same. When shooting the magazine was unable to lift the shells in time for the bolt to pickup the next round and the rifle functioned as a single shot but with the bolt usually closing on an empty chamber until I got down to 10 rds or so at which time the rifle would fire normally :evil: I took the mags apart but don't see any real problems. Do you have to lube them? Do I need to stretch the magazine springs? I can push the follower down with a cleaning rod and everything seems to move smooth. It's like the weight of the ammo is too great for the magazine spring. Ammo was Wolf Black box 123gr FMJ and Golden Tiger 123 gr FMJ. What are the odds of me getting two defective mags?

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Re: magazine problem
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »
2 bad mags, slim and none. I use spray silicone on mine. I spray everything. It helps slick them up good. I suppose it's possible the springs are in backwards or are causing a bind of the follower some how. Take them apart and examine the inside of the mag. Look for "burrs" or "slag" some where on the parts. Try rotating the spring to see if that helps. Otherwise, I guess call the people you bought them from and complain. Tapping the mag is a good idea anyway. It "seats" the rounds to the back of the mag. Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
was the bolt in the rear position while loading them? a lot of people break duckbills by not bringing the bolt back first...  :roll:

joe66

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
I noticed the problem even before getting the mags fully loaded, they weren't even in the rifle yet. Besides, I've done the "drop free" bolt modification. Even if the feed lips are damaged, the magazine spring should still push the cartridges to the top, not stick part way up. They feed rounds fine when only half full.

Update: I took the mags apart and sprayed them with some dry lube I had in the garage. They now seem to function better. When full, they now pop the cartridges up when I push them down and release. I'll try shooting them again in a couple of days. Thanks for the replies.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:35:21 PM by joe66 »

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
You are SURE these are Tapco mags (I'm serious)?

They are MARKED "Tapco"?

This is the type of stuff Promags do.

Tapco:
http://www.buymilsurp.com/images/TAPCO_SKS_20RD_OD

Promag:
http://store.a51tactical.com/images/pm-sks-a1.jpg

If it is a Tapco, it should square away pretty easily & function well -I have not seen/had one with any major issues.

LG :?

joe66

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:51:28 AM »
Yes, these are Tapco mags. 

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
Yes, these are Tapco mags. 

Well, that is unusual.

I'd take them apart and smooth any of the excess "flash" from the molded parts that may be the cause.

Best, LG :?