Author Topic: FULL AUTO? with trigger work?!?!  (Read 4513 times)

BillCollecta

• SKS Newbie
FULL AUTO? with trigger work?!?!
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
hey guys i just contacted a local gun smith asking if he would mind doing a trigger job on my sks just to bring the pull down a little bit ( I really like light triggers) and the told me that he refuses to do trigger work on sks' stating that if he lightened my trigger if wouldnt hold and would go full auto.. is there any truth in this?
George Washington didn't defeat the Red Coats practicing freedom of speech..... He shot em

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: FULL AUTO? with trigger work?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
Nope.

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
das-bo-shcitt, you need a sear to make it fully automatic. whoever told you that belongs on the short bus

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
Alot of things can be done to "improve" and SKS trigger pull
but you can't make an SKS trigger that will compare with the types of trigger pulls
that you have with the domestically made rifles.

Your smith probably doesn't know alot about military surplus firearms and
doesn't want to take on a project like that for that very reason.

There's lots of information on trigger work for an SKS around here.

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »
why mess around with a local gunsmith that obviously doesn't know the sks when you can send it to Kivaari and have it done by the master? Kivaari's prices are better then most locals anyway.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=62.0

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

sks winger

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »
why mess around with a local gunsmith that obviously doesn't know the sks when you can send it to Kivaari and have it done by the master? Kivaari's prices are better then most locals anyway.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=62.0

You aren't kidding, in vegas it seems like it's a c-note just to walk in the door.  One good thing about it is it gives you the incentive to learn about your'e guns
Not on Our Watch
OATHKEEPERS.ORG

Shakey

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
Kivaari did the trigger on my yugo and I was very pleased.
When I get some extra money in going to send in my Russian trigger

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »
Another jack leg "gunsmith" (sez he is a 'smith, and has a neat certificate, a book & checkering kit he bought -almost can checker)...

That does not know the difference  in function between a hammer & sear -probably can't tell the difference between the entrance to his happyland orfice and a hole in the ground.

Some *smith*.

LG  :roll:

BillCollecta

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:39:23 AM »
Well i was kinda caught off guard when he told me that ... ive just started REALLY getting into my guns and lately have gone just short of broke :(.. so im still kinda new and learning about the inner workings of my rifles... ive learned how to COMPLETELY dissasseble all of my firearms and have done very simple mods on a few.. I would LOVE to learn how to do some of this myself and dodge the "smith" alltogether.. or find another average joe enthusiast like myself to pay to somewhat teach me a few tricks!! :lol:
George Washington didn't defeat the Red Coats practicing freedom of speech..... He shot em

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:21:36 AM »
The only time you will see an SKS fire more than one round with a single trigger pull is if someone has jammed their firing pin in wrong and is "slam"firing it. Well there may be a couple of other extreme conditions but these are bad. As far as I know there are absolutely no full auto SKS's. They were never produced that way. Rumors persist that there are some somewhere. But more than likely someone who is a master gunsmith has taken and modified the odd piece and it is a dangerous thing.

Besides, full auto chews through ammo too quickly, is too costly, requires special permits, ruins accuracy, and denies you the ability to savor your SKS experience like fine wine or good food should be savored.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

patricklee

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
I will say that I don't know anything at all about this other than the video I found...but this is definitely an SKS, and Definitely NOT a slamfire. I say this because he drains the mag in two seperate bursts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDEI1arGZ8

EDIT: here's another, completely unrelated one that also definitely isn't a slamfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3cz2fqvs8&NR=1

Kivaari

• SKS Expert
    • Kivaari's Little Armory
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »
It sounds as though this particular gunsmith doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he doesn't understand the system and rather than say "sorry, not familiar with that platform", he has to be authoritative yet ignorant. :roll:

Lightening a pull is a secondary benefit of properly mating a hammer to a sear following the rules but in and of itself does NOT make a full auto firing scenario.

I suppose if you screw it up, don't know what you're doing, that you can insure the hammer won't catch the cock notch. Maybe that's this gunsmith's previous experience.

Those guys on youtube are idiots....kinda' like a thief leaving his driver's license behind. A little investigation and warrant action and they're in the big house! Can you be any more stupid? Well....yes....the sequel is them showing how they did it...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:04:45 PM by Kivaari »
kivaari
quality and correctly engaging SKS trigger tune

SKS....the militia's rifle!

www.kivaari.com

NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association member

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
I will say that I don't know anything at all about this other than the video I found...but this is definitely an SKS, and Definitely NOT a slamfire. I say this because he drains the mag in two seperate bursts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDEI1arGZ8

EDIT: here's another, completely unrelated one that also definitely isn't a slamfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3cz2fqvs8&NR=1

The OP's question was:
Will lightening the trigger pull end up in your SKS going FA?

Now if the question was:
Can you do things that will make your SKS go FA?
The answer is, Yes you can,
although it will not be legal or safe.
The guys in the vid emptied the mag with 2 trigger pulls,
but that doesn't mean that their rifles were not slam firing.
The SKS has no internal timing mechanism or rotary locking bolt as an AK or other rifles do.
So they were simply disabling the catching mechanism of the hammer.
Which means, with no timing involved, the hammer can fall anytime it wants,
without knowing if the bolt is in full battery or not, this condition is known as "Slam Firing",
which in a worse case scenario can end up being out of sync to the point of having an "out of battery" event.

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 02:51:03 AM »
It was indeed slam firing as per the post above.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
FWIW, I recall there were reports that the skinnies in the Mog had used SKS weapons modified to fire FA. Other reports of such in africa have also floated around.

I doubt that thesee guys were much focused on what was safe, rational and so on...not my role models.

LG :?