Author Topic: SKS Identification - How do I identify the coutry of origin of my SKS?  (Read 4416 times)

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
I have an SKS and I do not know how to identify the country of origin (a.k.a. the quality of the rifle). I have looked on the net and do not see any of the markings describing if it is a Russian, Norinco, etc. The top of the reciever does not have any markings. Thank you in advance for the help.

coopdog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: SKS Identification - How do I identify the coutry of origin of my SKS?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
Photos would help, of course.  Absent photos, look at the left side of the receiver and tell us all the letters and numbers stamped on the side.  Do the same for the right side of the receiver.
I'm tired of reading about SHTF.   I am planning for the more likely scenario SSDD (Same Sh_it, Different Day).

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »
There are only numbers on the left side of the reciever, and are: K7142.

The gun is apart and on the bolt carrier ( the lower piece under the bolt) are the following numbers:
T9346.

I will be glad to send pictures, please tell me which views would be the best.

Thanks.

coopdog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:21 PM »
Views:

1.  Entire Rifle
2.  Close up left side of receiver
3.  Close up right side of receiver.
4.  Close up top of receiver
5.  Close ups of any and all markings.

P.S. - I am not the expert on this site, but with the info. and photos that I have suggested, there are several real experts here who will reply to you.
I'm tired of reading about SHTF.   I am planning for the more likely scenario SSDD (Same Sh_it, Different Day).

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
Is there a faint triangle to the right of the numbers on the receiver with the numbers 26 inside?  i.e.  /26\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:09:07 PM by martin08 »

Remingtonman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »
Thats my guess, its a 1956 Chinese rifle

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
There are no other markings on either side of the receiver. Would the faint triangle be on the bolt?

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
After further inspection, and staring with my glasses on, I do see an ever so faint portion of the bottom of a triangle to the right of the numbers on the left side of the reciever. It looks like / \ with a portion of a plus sign in the middle maybe

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
Check carefully on the left side of the receiver, after the serial numbers and possibly partly or mostly covered by the stock.  If it is a first year Chinese, there should be a faint /26\ triangle.

Otherwise, pictures would be great.  Go to the Pic Forums and find the directions on how to post them.

Edit:  Ok, so you found the triangle.  Sounds like you have a mis-matched Sino Soviet.

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »
Thanks for the preliminary info. I will send some pics, may take me a bit to get them posted. What is a Sino Soviet and approximately how much is one of these worth? Supposedly, the rifle had never been shot when purchased. I have only put 20 rounds through it.
Thanks. Pictures to follow hopefully today.

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
Thanks for the preliminary info. I will send some pics, may take me a bit to get them posted. What is a Sino Soviet and approximately how much is one of these worth? Supposedly, the rifle had never been shot when purchased. I have only put 20 rounds through it.
Thanks. Pictures to follow hopefully today.

The serial number seems to indicate Sino-Soviet SKS.   Value is dependent on many factors...I purchased one for $250.00 and sold it for close to $500.00 but it was in all original condition and approx. 98% finish on metal and wood with 100% matching parts.   One with mixed parts wouldn't be any more valuable than a standard run of the mill SKS $200 - $350.   Pictures would help us help you...the triangle with the 26 will be VERY faint and is often below the stock so removing the stock is the only way to see it.   Also on the right side of the stock near the butt plate you might find a star stamped in to the wood.   Are all the numbers matching???   Does it have the original blade bayonet ???   How is the finish ???
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

Remingtonman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »
A Sino Soviet is what people call a Chinese first year in production rifle= 1956.
The Russians sold the Chinese thier machines to make the rifles.
These rifles have a four digit serial number, with a letter before the number, and a triangle 26 stamp mark.

Flyingmonkeys

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
Well. it appears to have been shortened, and the bayo cutout filled, it appears to have been equipped with a spike bayo originally, the bayo lug has been ground down...........It is a Norinco, but I could not dechiper the armory mark in the triangle...................JMO
"As it is above, so it is below"
     W.G. A & A F M No: 84

30calfun

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »
The numbers do not match. The ones on the left side of the receiver and on the bottom of the magazine to match, but the one on the bolt carrier is different. I posted them on a previous email. This rifle also has a scope mount on the left side at the rear of the reciever cover.