Author Topic: Glass Bed an SKS?  (Read 2448 times)

Mommicked

• SKS Newbie
Glass Bed an SKS?
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
I've got to ask.  I did a search first!  I'm a 'accuracy plinker'.  I like to informally see how accurate I can get a rifle to shoot.  I love bolt guns and Marlin lever actions, and side lock muzzle loaders.  I've had decent luck with accurate shooting (plinking really) with all three types.

I've heard of folks with 'match grade' M-14's having them glass bedded, just like a bolt action rifle. 

What appeals to me about an SKS is that while they shoot and reload fast, they seem more accurate than the AK's I've personally shot.  (If you have a super accurate AK, forgive me, it's just the ones that I've seen shoot so-so at best; if you have a really accurate one please enlighten me!).

I know most guys often treat there SKS's like the red headed step child in their gun cabinet: it's fun to shoot, but lets not take this gun too seriously.  I mean, there's an AR, a AK, and Tactical bolt gun, and this here is just a lil ol' SKS.... that seems to be the way a lot of folks see these guns.

I wonder if anybody has tried glass bedding an SKS for accuracy, especially if they are handloading for accuracy?  Where would you bed?  Where would you need to leave some 'slack'?  A boy wouldn't want to make his action permanently fixed to the stock!

Any suggestions, or am I just taking things too far?

Mommicked
Take a kid or neighbor hunting or shooting.
Spread my work ethic, not my wealth!

99Tarbox

• SKS Plinker
Re: Glass Bed an SKS?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
Tagged for interest since I'm about to glass my new stock.

Member NRA and Georgia Carry Organization

muddly

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:31:33 AM »
I glassed a Type 56 once and it gave good results.However I found an even simpler fix that has worked on every SKS I've tried it on and no chance of getting it locked into the stock with glass! IF your rifle has no drastic side to side play in the bedding, the most common defect is fore and aft play.Grab the barrel and stock and push/pull the barrel back and forth( not up and down).There is generaly some movement and as you use it it gets worse.That heavy bolt assembly slamming back and forth beats up the wood at the rear tang( the stud/spring that the trigger group snaps on to).Hence the additional stock bolts on some rifles.Take some sticky address labels( the kind that every charitable org. sends you) trim for width and start layering them on the back of the tang until the fit is tight.You want the front of the reciever to be hard against the stock bolt.Paper doesn't compress much and it doesn't alter a rifle in any way.This procedure has cut groups in half on most every SKS I've worked on.Its simpler than glass and if it works for you you could then glass it if you wish.Just be VERY careful for lock points such as pin holes etc.Fill them with beeswax.One thing to keep an eye out for is the locking shoulder.Its a seperate piece fitted to the reciever and its the part the bolt bears on when its in battery.Sometimes the ends stick out alittle past the sides of the reciever and if so it will result in the reciever/barrel being locked into the stock when glassed. I know it sounds silly but try the labels.I've yet to be disappointed by the results.Another thing is leave your bayonet on and make sure it fits TIGHT against the nose cap.Also be sure it doesn't contact wood in its mortice.I'm convinced it acts like a tuning fork as the many Yugos,Chicoms,Romy's and Russians I've had all shot better with the bayonet on.You're not taking things too far by any means.The SKS is a fine design hampered by sloppy fitting.I had a Type 56 that shot reloads int 4 inches at 200 yards and a Russian that scared hell out of an inch and a half at 100 all day.Shoot them with the same care and skill as you would a "better" rifle and the humble SKS WILL reward you.

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I glassed a Type 56 once and it gave good results.However I found an even simpler fix that has worked on every SKS I've tried it on and no chance of getting it locked into the stock with glass! IF your rifle has no drastic side to side play in the bedding, the most common defect is fore and aft play.Grab the barrel and stock and push/pull the barrel back and forth( not up and down).There is generaly some movement and as you use it it gets worse.That heavy bolt assembly slamming back and forth beats up the wood at the rear tang( the stud/spring that the trigger group snaps on to).Hence the additional stock bolts on some rifles.Take some sticky address labels( the kind that every charitable org. sends you) trim for width and start layering them on the back of the tang until the fit is tight.You want the front of the reciever to be hard against the stock bolt.Paper doesn't compress much and it doesn't alter a rifle in any way.This procedure has cut groups in half on most every SKS I've worked on.Its simpler than glass and if it works for you you could then glass it if you wish.Just be VERY careful for lock points such as pin holes etc.Fill them with beeswax.One thing to keep an eye out for is the locking shoulder.Its a seperate piece fitted to the reciever and its the part the bolt bears on when its in battery.Sometimes the ends stick out alittle past the sides of the reciever and if so it will result in the reciever/barrel being locked into the stock when glassed. I know it sounds silly but try the labels.I've yet to be disappointed by the results.Another thing is leave your bayonet on and make sure it fits TIGHT against the nose cap.Also be sure it doesn't contact wood in its mortice.I'm convinced it acts like a tuning fork as the many Yugos,Chicoms,Romy's and Russians I've had all shot better with the bayonet on.You're not taking things too far by any means.The SKS is a fine design hampered by sloppy fitting.I had a Type 56 that shot reloads int 4 inches at 200 yards and a Russian that scared hell out of an inch and a half at 100 all day.Shoot them with the same care and skill as you would a "better" rifle and the humble SKS WILL reward you.
Excellent, informative post.  Thanks!

HR

sks winger

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »
Thanks, I have one that I'll have to try that on.  I was gonna start cutting up a soda can and making shims for the backend but that will tell me what I need for thickness also.  If it compresses, throw another label on
Not on Our Watch
OATHKEEPERS.ORG

Mommicked

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Good deal, will have to try it as soon as I figure which stock is calling me.  The rifle came in an aftermarket folder that I can't warm up to.  Maybe wood, maybe tapco, I'd love to find an original thumbhole at a decent price...... time will tell.
Take a kid or neighbor hunting or shooting.
Spread my work ethic, not my wealth!