Author Topic: Is it good to shoot 62 grain out of a 1x9 twist?  (Read 2452 times)

cbdolphin

• SKS Guru
Is it good to shoot 62 grain out of a 1x9 twist?
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:36 AM »
I've heard that it's not a good idea to shoot 62 grain out of a 1x9 twist, how truthful is this?

Heyzeus

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Re: Is it good to shoot 62 grain out of a 1x9 twist?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:32 AM »
Lies all lies. A 1 in 9 twist rate should stabilize a 50 to 70 grain bullet give or take. At least that is what I remember from when I was looking in to it.
Gun control means i can hit my target!

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
Yeah its BS, it works well on 62 gr, I average slightly better groups on milpsec ammo using 62gr as opposed to 55gr.
Actually I have a couple 1/9 twist barrels that love Privi partisan 69gr match.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

cbdolphin

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
Yeah its BS, it works well on 62 gr, I average slightly better groups on milpsec ammo using 62gr as opposed to 55gr.
Actually I have a couple 1/9 twist barrels that love Privi partisan 69gr match.

Ok, TY guys!

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
These type of questions come up fairly often when it comes to the .223 because virtually no other common caliber has the wide variation in twist rates and suitable bullets for those rates as the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO.

We had this discussion in the "Reloading" forum a while back and I tried to come up with some answers and explanations.
That twist rate thread has been added to the RIFLE FAQ AND TUTORIAL LIST sticky at the top of this forum as ".223 Twist Rate & Suitable Bullets".
www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=58230.0 is the direct link.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

cbdolphin

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
These type of questions come up fairly often when it comes to the .223 because virtually no other common caliber has the wide variation in twist rates and suitable bullets for those rates as the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO.

We had this discussion in the "Reloading" forum a while back and I tried to come up with some answers and explanations.
That twist rate thread has been added to the RIFLE FAQ AND TUTORIAL LIST sticky at the top of this forum as ".223 Twist Rate & Suitable Bullets".
www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=58230.0 is the direct link.

Wow, I completely skimmed that when searching :shock:

Thanks Frisco.