Author Topic: SKS Markings.  (Read 6760 times)

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
My SKS stock has markings on it.  On each thumb hole on the side, there seems to be some sort of writing.  I can't read it, not even sure if it is English, or just a fluke scratch (kind of odd how it was placed so perfectly).  Also, right behind the trigger, there seem to be small holes punched it, about the size of the tip of a 7.62.  Those can't be flukes as they are all the same size and placed right behind the trigger.  Anyone hae any idea what these could mean?

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Livin the life.
SKS Markings.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:33:06 PM »
If its an issued rifle then who knows unless you find the soldier it was issued to. :wink:
You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him.

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:35:18 PM »
My guess is maybe kill record?  Sort of like how fighter piolets would plaint a symbol on the side of their plane for every enemy they shot down.  I can get some pictures.

EDIT:
The marking on the thumb hole becomes really clear in this picture.

Little holes behind the trigger group.

Also, is it okay to clean the wood stock with pledge?  Pledge, if you don't know, is a wood care product.

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Livin the life.
SKS Markings.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 09:46:30 PM »
Pledge will work fine "holes" look like someone got bored on guard duty and the ones in the finger grooves look like a name.
You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him.

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:49:28 PM »
Anyone know that language that is?  Yugoslavian?

KenB

• SKS Sniper
SKS Markings.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
I'll just add that many Yugo rifles are out there with extensive carvings. Seems that discipline wasn't the strictest.
Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state. - Michigan Constitution Art. I, 6

roadrider

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
SKS Markings.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:22:45 PM »
Quote from: KenB
I'll just add that many Yugo rifles are out there with extensive carvings. Seems that discipline wasn't the strictest.

if you ask me, its not aboutt dicipline, its about winning the war, not going crazy, and staying alive.

wera276

• SKS Gunsmith
  • "Im a lead farmer"
SKS Markings.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »
Prob some girls name he was doinking.  Or his last name
current SKS's  54 Russian, 71 Yugo59/66, 74 China

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 01:46:33 PM »
Well, if there is carving, it probably means it was an issued gun.  There is carving on the butt of the gun, but that was done with a electric pencil to write the serial number (all the numbers match on my gun), which is very neat, not all etched in like that name.

lefthanded

SKS Markings.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:26:39 PM »
there is a guy on www.ar15.com who translates Yugo rifle writing.  Click on the AK 47 tab at the top of the page, and scroll down to the Yugo section, down near the bottom, right below the SKS forum.  If you post your pic there the guy will try to translate the writing, could be real interesting...you will see the thread at the top of the Yugo forum...

PAP

• SKS Plinker
name
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 05:40:32 AM »
The name on your rifle is girls name SNEZANA which would translate somewhat in to "snow girl"
HTH

Dan

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 05:54:53 PM »
Snow girl?  That is kind weird.  Why would you even write that on your gun?

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, snow girl does make sense, since you said it was the name of a girl.  Probably naming it after his wife or girl friend.

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »
Can't join that site, they don't accept Hot Mail emails, which sucks.

EDIT:
Why does my gun have English on it aswell?  On the barrel, right next to the stock, it says:
"C A I GEORGIA VT                         MDL 59/66 7.62 X 39 YUGO"
I know what the right half means, but the left half is a mystery.    Why is it even written in English?

Also, right under the elevation sight on the barrel, tjere are stamps, not sure what they are.  I've seen little half squares with the number 1 on them, these look like it, but are clustered together.

It was hard to get a good picture; they were small, stuck in a small spot, camera had to get very close and focus on them to get it right, which blocked light, so I had to shine one in, sort of washing it out.

funkcat

• SKS Marksman
SKS Markings.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 08:57:05 PM »
Howdy Defiler, I think that  "CAI Georgia VT"  means CAI the company that imported it into the USA and I think they are located in Georgia Vermont??  That should be the import stamp that they used when they imported the rifle.

Defiler

SKS Markings.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
I Googled VT, Georgia, and it did come up as a place called Vermont, thanks.

EDIT:
I googled the word "sne" and a ton of pictures of snow came up, which can confirm what Dan said, thanks.

Another edit:
CAI stands for Century Arms International.