Author Topic: help me identify and date my norinco sks  (Read 2477 times)

psychohellbilly666

• SKS Newbie
help me identify and date my norinco sks
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I recently posted this on another forum and didnt get much info so I'm hoping someone here can help.  Also since the posting i have switched it back to the wood stock.  I recently was going thru the safe and came across some rifles i haveny shot in a while, among them is a Chinese Norinco SKS. I remember when I purchased it back in '92 for a whopping $79. The left side of the rifle is stamped with 3 chinese characters followed by DB another chinese character and 721. The ser# is 0065xx. Then 7.62x39 sporter made by norinco. The right side is stamped west tuc az made in china. The spacing is like that to account for spacing in the stamps. All ser# match (bolt, bolt cover, receiver and trigger guard). I have read that the sporters are set to accept ak mags. this one isnt. Also it doesnt have a thumbhole stock. I currently have it set on a folding synthetc stock and that way it accepts removable sks mags. I have the original 10 rd fixed mag which is also stamped with the ser#. Also have the original wood stock which has the hole in the but for the cleaning tools also the green sling and oil can. It has the folding spike bayonet. I am woundering on the year of production, approximate value and the inconsistencies with stuff I have read ie about the ak mags. I was considering selling it to help fund another ar15. Any help would be appreciated as i have ried to date the manufacture and was unable to. Is it someting i just need to hang on to (as the say its not eating anything) and find another way to fund a new ar15? Any help is appreciated. I will post pics this weekend. Overall condition is excellent to like new. I purchased in '92 and have shot app 200 rnds thru it.

psychohellbilly666

• SKS Newbie
Re: help me identify and date my norinco sks
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
here are some pics

psychohellbilly666

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Was checking out Yooper johns and if i am interpriting page 31 correctly the DB stamp means it is a 56.  Am I correct in this assumption.

sks winger

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »
Well, if you want to sell it, I'll give you 99 dollars for it, 20 dollar profit.  Can't beat that!!!  Seriously, beautiful gun and there is no way to date it.  Can only date factory 26 models.  A DB is a more of a collectible varient than a standard chinese sks.  Probably worth around 10-15% more.  That one is totally complete, all matching with the wood, factory mag etc.  I'd keep it just because it is in excellent condition.  You can get an AR anywhere, but not a nice 20 yr old sks for 79 dollars

If I remember right 56 is the first year that the chinese started building the sks.  Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will step in and give you a little more helpful info

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:33:16 PM by sks winger »
Not on Our Watch
OATHKEEPERS.ORG

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
Welcome to the crazy world of SKS's, psycho hb.  You should fit right in!

You have landed an SKS of mild to moderate collector's interest.  The DB model, and especially yours with the proportional 'B', is bit more rare than most Chinese rifles.  These are military carbines that were made for export to other countries for military use, unlike some of the Chinese guns that were exported to the US for commercial use.

For what you have invested in an all matching collectible, you are sitting pretty.  Where an average Chicom is fetching $250-300, the DB in nice shape is a $300-350 to the right buyer.

psychohellbilly666

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
Thanks for the info martin.  Is there a way to tell when and why it is stamped sporter.  From what i have read rifles were stamped this for import to get around the 1989 ban.  If this is the case wouldnt that make this a post ban rifle.  Or were there actual military use rifles that were imported after the ban.  I am farely new to the sks even though Ive owned it since 1992.  Also from what I have read the folding stock i did have on it would be illegal.  So much info I am finding kinda contradicts other info.  Does the DB also place this as produced in 1956 as http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-31.htm implies or is that stating that that particular chinese charcter means 1956.  Also is the 721 part or the serial # or something else. 

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »
On this pic here what are those 2 marks on the receiver just behind where the short collar barrel is screwed in?

Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
Hmmm............looks like it was center punched,but why?
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
It was originally made for military use, but the importer put the Sporter name to it.  The Chinese characters are symbols of the type of firearm, which is a "Type 56", for the style of the first year of production in China.  It was likely made at a later date as evidenced by the short collar barrel lug.

The 721?  It may have been a run or batch number, and then followed by the serial.  My 701 also has a gap between it and the rest of the serial sequence.

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »

I dunno.
Looks sort of deep to me whatever it is.
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:58 AM »

I dunno.
Looks sort of deep to me whatever it is.

I've seen this before. it is pinned. the previous ones I've seen also have another pin on the bottom under the stock.

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

psychohellbilly666

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
Thanks for the continued info.  Yeah the mark? in the pic is where the barrel is pinned. 

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
does it have a second pin below the stock line?

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
Anyone .. why would a screwed in barrel be pinned?

I mean unless the threads were damaged or it didn't lock up tight enough with the flats at the top/bottom.

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »
Anyone .. why would a screwed in barrel be pinned?

I mean unless the threads were damaged or it didn't lock up tight enough with the flats at the top/bottom.

don't have a good reason, all I can say is I've seen it before about a half dozen times. again all the ones I have seen were pinned top and bottom.