Author Topic: hunting with a .303 british  (Read 4635 times)

dorikaze

• SKS Marksman
hunting with a .303 british
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
I have hunted using my trusted .300 win mag but haven't tried using a .303 British, so just wondering who has and what size game and how far. the reason I'm asking is because i just helped my grandfather clean his basement out and we had stumble on his old SMLE, he was telling me storeys about shooting black bear and big Mose with it, now we were half cut when we started talking about so i don't know how good is memory is being that hes hitting in the 90s, my dad was saying stuff about the first deer he hunted was with the .303 and after that he got his first rifle in .300 win mag   i would like to clean it up and re blue for that same use.  

ARMYMP

• SKS Newbie
Re: hunting with a .303 british
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
I have shot feral hogs with them.... i dunno about big game... probably moose and deer would work as well....

with enough well placed rounds of  .22 you can kill anything...... it just a matter of living through its anger.....

chainsaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • May the Shwartz be with you
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »
With proper bullets,soft points,the 303 has plenty of power for deer and elk.
And to the REPUBLIC,for which it stands.......

C13mechanic

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Everybody Lies!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Don't think there is much on this planet a .303 British hasn't killed. I read an article about a fellow hunting cape buffalo with one. I ain't that brave.
I would imagine 'ol .303 would work as well as the .30-06 on North American game.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ever_popular_30.htm
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.

uh60ce

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
Up in Canada. .303 was THE cartridge for a long time, like our 30-06.  Moose, elk ,caribou, black bear & even griz. Still pretty popular, more than down here. Too bad it's been losing ground to all the new super-magnum craze. I've seen some real beautiful custom sporterized SMLE's going for pennies the last 10 years or so. :dontknow: Ammo mfrs offer very little in hunting ammo today; damn shame. :sad3:

chainsaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • May the Shwartz be with you
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
Thats the crappy thing,you have to reload to be able to shoot it.
And to the REPUBLIC,for which it stands.......

Goran

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Reloading is the way to go with the .303. Hornady makes a 174 grain soft point round nose is that exceptional. My brother found 220 grain soft points once at a gun show.

I saw a picture of a Canadian Inuit who took a polar bear with a .303. The bear had to be about a ten footer. The .303 has taken everything on the African continent too.

dorikaze

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
Reloading is the way to go with the .303. Hornady makes a 174 grain soft point round nose is that exceptional. My brother found 220 grain soft points once at a gun show.

I saw a picture of a Canadian Inuit who took a polar bear with a .303. The bear had to be about a ten footer. The .303 has taken everything on the African continent too.
yea i was looking and some of the Natives here in Canada still have a a lot of SMLES being used for Coast patrol and hunting

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »
The 303 Brit is a time proven military cartridge that sportsmen around the world have taken up
for hunting.  Full charge 30 caliber class for sure.  No problem in North America,

Africa  well  they say it's wounded more game than any other caliber ?  Could be all that
surplus FMJ too blame.
My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 03:33:17 PM »
The .303 is fairly similar to the 30-06 in power. It would serve just about any application as well as the 30-06 would. IIRC its a smidge less in power, but not so much as to be overly noticable or very noticable at all.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
The .303 has gotten a bad rep in some areas because the people that didn't like them bought a 50+ year old worn out rifle for $100 and then wondered why they couldn't hit anything.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
Don't think there is much on this planet a .303 British hasn't killed.

Not to mention about a million people or more. .303 has my respect for sure, my little carbine likes to beat up my shoulder too! For those whom remember 1952Sniper, he customized a .303 for hog hunting and it worked quite well.

-Spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
Don't think there is much on this planet a .303 British hasn't killed.

Not to mention about a million people or more. .303 has my respect for sure, my little carbine likes to beat up my shoulder too! For those whom remember 1952Sniper, he customized a .303 for hog hunting and it worked quite well.

-Spike

Yeah I thought of that in this thread. And it was a shooter too IIRC. I just couldnt find the pics or thread.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

Fullauto

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
Spike, what ever happened to 1952sniper? I have two No4 mk11 Lee Enfields which were considered to be the stronger of the Lee Enfield actions. Ballistically it is behind the 30-06 and the .308  but this is more because of perceived weakness in the Lee Enfield's rear locking action action. I also have a P14 Enfield  which is a far stronger Mauser style action.
 In the P14 the 303 British can be loaded to the same velocities as the 308 however brass life is usually quite short. The 303 British was the choice of most commonwealth long range target shooting shooter's back in the 1950's and early 1960's. When the new 7.62x51 or 308 round came on the scene there appeared to be a great deal of reluctance among British target shooter's to accept that the 308 was anymore accurate than the 303 British and several long range shooting matches were held to determine which cartridge was superior but results always appeared to be inconclusive. With the British government deciding to retire what was then a 70 year old cartridge it opened the way for the 7.62 x 51 to become its replacement and gradually target shooters switched over to the new cartridge.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:58:34 AM by Fullauto »

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
Up in Canada. .303 was THE cartridge for a long time, like our 30-06.  Moose, elk ,caribou, black bear & even griz. Still pretty popular, more than down here. Too bad it's been losing ground to all the new super-magnum craze. I've seen some real beautiful custom sporterized SMLE's going for pennies the last 10 years or so.  Ammo mfrs offer very little in hunting ammo today; damn shame.
I spent some time years ago in B.C. in the bush and the .303 was still in use, although fading out as people were buying new sporters in the usual hunting calibers.  Just like all of us, most wanted a new rifle, so the sporterized .303 was relegated to the rack.
As mentioned, the natives on the Reserves were still using them successfully.  Deer, bear, and moose were successfully killed.
One mistake I made at the time was not buying a Long Branch Arsenal SMLE and bringing it back to the States.

While I don't agree with Danjal that it is the equal of the .30-06, because it sits between the 170/.30-30 and 180/.30-06 energy-wise - with a velocity 240 fps slower (180-gr) than the '06.  Still it is basically equal to the old .300 Savage or 30-40 Krag, both of which had a really good big-game rep back in the day.  Therefore it is more than adequate enough if the distance is kept reasonable.  Big long heavy .30 cal bullets work fine at medium velocities - even basic cup-and-core bullets.

Sighted in 3" high at 100 yards with the factory irons should put you on zero at 200 yards and 4.5" low at 250.  I don't know if I would push it much beyond those ranges, all things considered, but a SMLE should do the job good enough should you want to try something different than the .300 Mag.  They really are interesting and neat rifles.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...