Author Topic: Idiots SKS conversion to full-auto  (Read 24447 times)

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.murraysguns.com
Idiots SKS conversion to full-auto
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
A customer bought his SKS at an Estate Auction, (never fired it) and sent us the bolt and trigger group for FP Kit inst. and 922r Compliant Hammer/Sear/Trigger inst. (wanted to be sure the gun he had just bought was safe and in good shape) Installed the FP Kit, no problem. Pulled the trigger assy. out of the box and asked myself why it had a screw in the bottom, just in front of the trigger guard. Oh!!!!! And there's a part that has been altered, and another, and there's another, the 4th alteration I see that someone had done to make it full-auto! Four alterations that definitely insured full-auto function! And the "correct" way only requires 2.  :roll: And the screw is totally unnecessary!  (when that stuff hits the fan, I'll fill in the blanks)

Considered welding up the hole in the bottom and replacing the 3 parts that had been altered, and destroy the altered parts, and gun would again be legal and all would be well with the world. Boy was I mistaken! Once a semi-auto rifle has illegally been converted to full-auto, it will always and forever be a machine gun to the ATF, and can never be reverted back to semi-auto function. It must be destroyed. What a crock this is. It's all about 2 words in the definition of a "machine gun." Readily restorable It seems the ATFs opinion is that once one has been converted, even if it's reverted back, it will always be easier to make full-auto again.  :roll:

So I'm going to repeat what I've said before. DON'T DO IT, GUYS!!! (Yeah, I'm yelling so the dummies that think it would be cool can hear me)

It's highly illegal, (10 yrs federal time) can not legally be reverted back to semi-auto use, and the SKS was not designed for the rigors of full-auto use.

And when you're buying a "new to you" semi-auto rifle, be sure and check that it truly is, semi-auto. If you're unfamilar with how to easily do this, let us know and we'll describe what you need to do. The people selling them at Auctions and Trade Days/Bazaar type locations can Not be relied on to sell you a legal firearm!!!!

The people running the Auctions sell many guns, and they generally sell for 2 to 3 times what they are worth, because the buyers know that no paperwork is involved. And sellers at Trade Days/Bazaar type locations do the same thing. The ATF has been informed of these goings on, and they don't do a thing about it. But they hear one report of a machine gun, and they jump into action like terrorists were about to attack America again.  :roll:

When "right and wrong" do not equate to "legal and illegal" well, it just don't seem right.
www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Alabama

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.
Re: Idiots SKS conversion to full-auto
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »
Wow. Didn't know that. What would happen, murray, if, hypothetically speaking, an unwary buyer, shall we say, misplaced, his/her trigger ass'y, in a very similar way that one often misplaces a bayonet, after disassembling the rifle, for cleaning, say, and, as luck would have it, finds the trigger ass'y at a later time, and re-installs it, much like the lucky guy who finds his lost bayonet at a later time and can, legally, re-install it.  :dontknow:
GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Alabama , now known as : " Terror in the tree stand "
--Longspring

Yes you are weird.
You are a board supporter on an extremist hobby forum 
--oblivionboyj

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
I've misplaced a few bayos, but never a trigger group (yet)!   :o

Just for future observations for the cautious buyer, was the screw that went through the bottom of the trigger guard glaringly obvious?  Or did someone countersink it flush, blue it and try to make it blend in?

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
Alabama, just re-installing a "long lost" trigger assembly is not a problem. But once it's been altered, you cannot revert it back, "legally."

Very glaringly obvious when you see the head of a 10-24 socket head screw.
Can you tell which one is the "evil" one?

And just to be sure everyone understands, besides being illegal, it's an unnecessary and ill-advised way to alter it.

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
So I'm going to ask a stupid question:  How do(did) you handle this?  ATF get the gun or did the owner?  Just curious how this situation would be handled from a gunsmith/dealer standpoint.
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

cbdolphin

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
So I'm going to ask a stupid question:  How do(did) you handle this?  ATF get the gun or did the owner?  Just curious how this situation would be handled from a gunsmith/dealer standpoint.

That was my question also, how did ya handle something like that?

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »
To protect our license we had to report it and ATF came by and picked up the trigger assy. (to be destroyed)  :cry: The customer still has the rest of the rifle and we'll replace his trigger group. He will be out a few extra dollars, but since he had the Auction Flyer showing "semi-auto" SKS and a receipt showing he bought it there, he won't be in any trouble. He really never knew until I told him.

And I had a gut feeling he didn't know because who would send a trigger assembly altered for full-auto to have semi-auto parts installed?  :roll:

Smitty

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • UNIT HQ
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
Yeah, that wouldn't be a wise move. I'm glad to know the guy didn't get shafted.
UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

“You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets.”
--Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"Jenkins! The chap with wings over there. Five rounds rapid!"
--Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »
Wow.  They didn't try to hide that socket head bolt at all!  Pretty obvious to most around this board, but a new or unfamiliar SKS owner might never know.  Glad the ATF took his paperwork and treated him with civility.

But I'll bet that an investigation is going in to the source of those altering additions.

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »
If the owner of the property, of the Estate that was being auctioned off, is still alive I expect he'll be investigated and/or questioned considerably.

Pretty obvious to most around this board, but a new or unfamiliar SKS owner might never know.

Yep, I knew most would chuckle when they saw the pic, but like you said, an uninformed potential buyer might think it was part of a formerly attached mag latch extension, or something to do with using detachable mags.  :roll:

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
Something says the PO is not alive. Otherwise this wouldnt have been auctioned off unless hes out of his mind.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

Russianfist

• SKS Sniper
  • Represent!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
Intersting how some people tinker with stuff and not have any idea how bad it could go for them but this topic leads me to wonder.
It's rumored that a 'select" fire SKS was built and issued for a short time.

Is this true, and if so how is it different from a standard SKS?

I should note that I have no interest, nor ever will have the interest in converting any of my rifles to select fire.
Just curious.
"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Sir Winston S. Churchill-

Money Mike

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
The guy is lucky he sent it in first to get work done on it. He would have gotten quite a surprise if he had taken it to the range and tried to squeeze off a couple rounds. Probably would have needed some new underwears.
"Go Away, 'batin'!"

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
Is this true, and if so how is it different from a standard SKS?

I doubt it very seriously. If there ever were such a thing as select fire SKS, the trigger group would be vastly different. What appears to be the "military" procedure for converting, in the back of a book I have, only allows for changing to full-auto and then changing back to semi-auto. No way to have both due to disassembly and re-assembly requirements.

Probably would have needed some new underwears.

At the very least. When you're not expecting it, SKS on full auto is quite a hand full.  :shock: Somebody could have easily gotten hurt, or worse.

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
At least ATF let him keep the rest of the gun.   Advantages of having a removable trigger group.  An AR or AK would have seen the chopsaw for sure.
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One