Author Topic: Idiots SKS conversion to full-auto  (Read 27009 times)

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
Re: Idiots SKS conversion to full-auto
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
At the very least. When you're not expecting it, SKS on full auto is quite a hand full.  :shock: Somebody could have easily gotten hurt, or worse.

Been there....done that....have your firing pin because of it.   :lol:
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

HappyRat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »
It's rumored that a 'select" fire SKS was built and issued for a short time.

Is this true, and if so how is it different from a standard SKS?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as48-e.htm

It mostly just looks like an SKS, from what I understand the guts are mostly Kalashnikov, including a rotating bolt, although how they got that to work with a BHO I don't really know, maybe something others should look into. What's not mentioned is how a shipment of 'semi-auto only' Type 63s went to Australia before they went all nutty and the way they were 'demilled' was the fire selector was given an internal weld tack so it couldn't move. Chinese are nothing if not practical.

Alabama

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:58 AM »
It's rumored that a 'select" fire SKS was built and issued for a short time.

Is this true, and if so how is it different from a standard SKS?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as48-e.htm

It mostly just looks like an SKS, from what I understand the guts are mostly Kalashnikov, including a rotating bolt, although how they got that to work with a BHO I don't really know, maybe something others should look into. What's not mentioned is how a shipment of 'semi-auto only' Type 63s went to Australia before they went all nutty and the way they were 'demilled' was the fire selector was given an internal weld tack so it couldn't move. Chinese are nothing if not practical.

:shock: Good info, HR!
GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Alabama , now known as : " Terror in the tree stand "
--Longspring

Yes you are weird.
You are a board supporter on an extremist hobby forum 
--oblivionboyj

Russianfist

• SKS Sniper
  • Represent!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »
So while not a true SKS it's pretty darn close.
Thanks HR and Murray :thumbright:
"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Sir Winston S. Churchill-

MarcoNorthPolo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
Wow, it looks very similar.   :shock:
"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish….and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard."
Ron Swanson

skypilot

• SKS Expert
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
Short link to the type 63/68 rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_63_assault_rifle

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 09:42:06 AM »
Ok, dumb question but would a SKS, or any other rifle not made for FA, not hold up once converted? Like on the AR the bolt carrier is heavier and thicker on a FA than a semi. Not saying the SKS is not a durable rifle but normally a conversion does tend to weaken the FCG and/or can only fire FA.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.murraysguns.com
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
The barreled receiver and major components may be able to survive the extra stresses, but the trigger group would be subjected to abnormal forces that could cause part failure.

Yes, the change would mean that you "can only fire FA."

www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Ok, dumb question but would a SKS, or any other rifle not made for FA, not hold up once converted? Like on the AR the bolt carrier is heavier and thicker on a FA than a semi. Not saying the SKS is not a durable rifle but normally a conversion does tend to weaken the FCG and/or can only fire FA.

Depends on the rifle BD.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
The barreled receiver and major components may be able to survive the extra stresses, but the trigger group would be subjected to abnormal forces that could cause part failure.

Yes, the change would mean that you "can only fire FA."

Actually, there was an article eons ago where a guy made a select fire SKS.  It took a bunch of FCG and stock modification, but it worked.  His conclusion was the cycle rate would literally beat the gun apart.  After a few hundred rounds, the gas piston and extension rod looked like it had been worked over by a jackhammer.  Bolt face wasn't pretty, either.  I'll see if I can dig it up later.

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
I didn't think it would hold up, even rifles that are built for full auto take a good beating. I'm sure the barrel wouldn't last long seeing how machine guns have replaceable barrels.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

HappyRat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »
I think most tilting bolt guns with FA capabilities have cyclic reducing mechanisms built in to avoid mechanical failure, even then FA versions of the M14 or FAL from what I understand just do not last like the SA versions. It's not even wear per se, but just a massive failure to dissipate heat properly.

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »
I think most tilting bolt guns with FA capabilities have cyclic reducing mechanisms built in to avoid mechanical failure, even then FA versions of the M14 or FAL from what I understand just do not last like the SA versions. It's not even wear per se, but just a massive failure to dissipate heat properly.

Thats what it boils down to. Controlled groups make any rifle last longer vs blazing away ammo. A couple shots isnt so bad. Mag dumps will kill a semi and an auto.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
I have the same manual Muray is referring to and it's a "key" type unit that you install or remove...  Still baffles me why some people want a full-auto sks  :?

I still don't understand why they ever put the microchip keys in GMC trucks.   Costs $135 to get a replacement!

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
I have the same manual Muray is referring to and it's a "key" type unit that you install or remove...  Still baffles me why some people want a full-auto sks  :?

I still don't understand why they ever put the microchip keys in GMC trucks.   Costs $135 to get a replacement!

Uhh...moose....necropost.  Check the last date.  Run.   :lol: