Author Topic: Great Ronald Regan quote  (Read 3428 times)

MOHAA Player

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Expert
Great Ronald Regan quote
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:49:15 AM »
Great quote from Ronald Reagan:

"There are those in America today who have come to depend absolutely on government for their security. And when government fails they seek to rectify that failure in the form of granting government more power. So, as government has failed to control crime and violence with the means given it by the Constitution, they seek to give it more power at the expense of the Constitution. But in doing so, in their willingness to give up their arms in the name of safety, they are really giving up their protection from what has always been the chief source of despotism government. Lord Acton said power corrupts. Surely then, if this is true, the more power we give the government the more corrupt it will become. And if we give it the power to confiscate our arms we also give up the ultimate means to combat that corrupt power. In doing so we can only assure that we will eventually be totally subject to it. When dictators come to power, the first thing they do is take away the people's weapons. It makes it so much easier for the secret police to operate, it makes it so much easier to force the will of the ruler upon the ruled.

This was from a old Combat Handguns article.

illuminatus90

• SKS Gunsmith
  • You Cant Win!
Re: Great Ronald Regan quote
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
That's funny. For some reason i was always under the influence that he supported the assault weapons ban. No Ar's or Ak's for us... Maybe he didn't like high cap mags or something
This is Colonel Ourumov. Come out with your hands above your head.

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
I was in Jr High when he was first elected and all I can remember were all the older guys were worried about getting drafted with Reagan getting elected. Guess he changed that, pretty much kept us out of war.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
I liked Reagan but he was a dirtbag.  He talked like this all the time and then did his best in expanding the federal government as much as anyone.  All while he was telling us Government was the problem.  Lot of people were fooled by Ronnie.  Probably more than Obama.

sheepdog

• Big Money Griff
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Damn skippy !
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
That's funny. For some reason i was always under the influence that he supported the assault weapons ban. No Ar's or Ak's for us... Maybe he didn't like high cap mags or something
I looked all over Google on that one, seeing that Reagan was made an honorary Life member of the NRA. It's backed up by that pinnacle of truth, Jimmy Carter. Actually any reference made about it says he said that in 1994 the same year he was diagnosed with Alzheimer.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE.

sheepdog

• Big Money Griff
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Damn skippy !
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
I doubt seriously that many people were fooled by Reagan but to say more so than Comrade Obama, come on. Remember Tip O' Neal was in control of the House and Reagan had to work around him. He did increase the amount of money in the Government coffers by getting taxes cut, and bringing us out of a really bad recession. Comrade Obama could use that lesson.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE.

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
Reagan was pretty much the conservative Obama in relation the public opinion by their supporters.  Not saying he grew government and was as anti american as Obama though.  That is untrue.  Reagan was more of a big government american patriot.  Just like the majority of conservatives are deep down.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
 Ronald Reagan was probably our last great President....he wasn't perfect, for sure, but he led us through some very tough times, both economically and in foreign affairs, keeping our interests safe, surviving being shot and seriously wounded, dealing with an adversarial Congress, and  bluffing the Soviet war machine into collapse. (make no mistake, and those of us who were old enough to remember lived it, the Soviets were terrified of Reagan, because they knew he would really do it, a good hand to be holding in the Mutually Assured Destruction poker game we were playing back then)

I would be curious to see how the present administration would fare in the same circumstances......

Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
Ronald Reagan was probably our last great President....he wasn't perfect, for sure, but he led us through some very tough times, both economically and in foreign affairs, keeping our interests safe, surviving being shot and seriously wounded, dealing with an adversarial Congress, and  bluffing the Soviet war machine into collapse. (make no mistake, and those of us who were old enough to remember lived it, the Soviets were terrified of Reagan, because they knew he would really do it, a good hand to be holding in the Mutually Assured Destruction poker game we were playing back then)

I would be curious to see how the present administration would fare in the same circumstances......

I forgot exactly how long it was but after 444 days the Iranians released the hostages not long after Reagan was elected. Year and a half of taunting us and Reagan strolls in and they go "eh, we quit, here ya go".
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
 It was pretty much the same time he took office....He was a solid President, in the James Monroe mold, who understood that a strong America, who makes no apologies, takes care of her own business, and confronts her enemies immediately and with no doubt about her resolve, is a better, more prosperous America.

We could use a bit of that now. :(

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
If you guys love Reagan that much and are dead set on supporting someone go vote for Palin.  She is pretty much the soccer mom version of Reagan.  Talks like a Libertarian.....governs like a big government conservative.

As far as the new administration handleing things like Reagan dealt with.  Its a different mentality.  He would run with the UN on everthing.  There really isnt a comparison with Reagan in that respect.  They are complete opposites.  Kinda like comparing Bush with Obama on those views...it doesnt work.  Bush was completely different.  Bush and Reagan were similar in a lot of ways.  Not all but a lot.

Saying that Reagan was our last great president isnt saying much.  Kind of like saying the best I ever felt when I was sick.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
 Really? because the USA I lived in was sick in the 1970's- the economy was bad, we had a war we had just gotten out of that ended badly for us, we had a President resign in disgrace, we had the Soviets showing their teeth and pushing us in Europe, we had a mob in Iran holding our citizens hostage.....

Ronald Reagan is the guy who came in when we were sick, and did a lot to get us well again, in a lot of ways.

He did a better job of it than anyone since, and on a larger scale, with more lasting positive results, than anyone since, and quite a few before, and so, yes, he is most certainly a great President, whether you like him or not.

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
    • Beat the Geek....My business....
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
If you guys love Reagan that much and are dead set on supporting someone go vote for Palin.  She is pretty much the soccer mom version of Reagan.  Talks like a Libertarian.....governs like a big government conservative.

As far as the new administration handleing things like Reagan dealt with.  Its a different mentality.  He would run with the UN on everthing.  There really isnt a comparison with Reagan in that respect.  They are complete opposites.  Kinda like comparing Bush with Obama on those views...it doesnt work.  Bush was completely different.  Bush and Reagan were similar in a lot of ways.  Not all but a lot.

Saying that Reagan was our last great president isnt saying much.  Kind of like saying the best I ever felt when I was sick.

You are right in one statement. It IS a different mentality. Obama, Pelosi and their ilk dont care one iota what the American people want as they think they are akin to the parents of a land of 3 year olds. They pat us on the head and tell us "we know better than you" and push their agendas through regardless of what we want.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
Really? because the USA I lived in was sick in the 1970's- the economy was bad, we had a war we had just gotten out of that ended badly for us, we had a President resign in disgrace, we had the Soviets showing their teeth and pushing us in Europe, we had a mob in Iran holding our citizens hostage.....

Ronald Reagan is the guy who came in when we were sick, and did a lot to get us well again, in a lot of ways.

He did a better job of it than anyone since, and on a larger scale, with more lasting positive results, than anyone since, and quite a few before, and so, yes, he is most certainly a great President, whether you like him or not.

Its a bias view your showing.  You cant to pluck things here and there and claim he is our last great president.  Its necessary to look at everything they did and what they told the populace.  Like I said, a lot of people were fooled and still are by Reagans run.  Much more than Obama.  Obama is probably the most scruitinized president in the last 100 years or so. Thank God for that.  I sometimes wonder how much easier it would be without things like the internet which really was not around during Reagan.  Reagan had some major advantages over current politicians.

Like I said earlier.  I liked Reagan but he was what he was.  An actor by trade.  Actors like politician are masters at lies and manipulation of emotion.  At that Reagan was an expert.  Reagans well polished practiuces have become pretty much the model for the modern Politician.  Obama copies Reagan in this reguard all the time.  More than Bush did.  Bush suffered from the entitlement of growing up around power.

tobkis

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
Regan and Palin are completely different. Bad comparison but funny :lol:
ALWAYS HAVE AN EXIT.......