Author Topic: Pretty Little 1954 Russian Girl (Non-Refurb??)  (Read 2254 times)

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
Pretty Little 1954 Russian Girl (Non-Refurb??)
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »
Went up to the Indy 1500 today.  Mild crowd and an unusual number of interesting SKS's including Chinese, Yugo's (M59 & M59/66), Romanians, Albanians, and Russians to be ogled.  Almost came home with two trophies but decided to limit myself to just this one, a 1954 Tula that is 100% matching and with the exception of some finish wear on the stock & butt plate, appears to be in as-issued condition.  I'm hoping you guys can help me confirm that.

My gunhauler loaded with my new girl and 1K rounds of Golden Tiger in the backpack:

The gun is in pretty good condition, all things considered.  Metal/bluing is 95%+ and the stock appears to be original finish, and although it has a few scratches & modest finish loss, is quite beautiful with no major dings or damage.  The rifle is super clean inside and out with very little evidence that it has been fired much at all.  I ended up paying $300 for it which seems reasonable to me.

The details:

-- 1954 Tula w/serial # KA46
 -- imported by KBI, Inc.
 -- receiver, receiver cover, bolt carrier, bolt, magazine, trigger group, & stock all stamped matching
 -- gas tube, gas piston, rear sight leaf, butt plate, & extractor electropencil matching
 -- blade bayo w/staked screw, sling (not sure if this is original), cleaning rod, & cleaning kit w/brass jag
 -- no re-arsenal or refurb marks

Here's a few pictures.

So martin, I left the Alby behind, but I think I got the better deal for the day, eh?

HR

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:43:47 PM by harleyrider »

rich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Beautiful rifle.

Maybe get a side-car before the next show :lol:

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
I can see why you left the Alby home!  Only one per handlebar, per trip.   :lol:

That's a nice one, HR.  Looks to be the real deal at a really good price.  All the cartouches in the right spots and a really low serial number!

It will be a tough one to touch up and still retain the non-refurb status.  I have cleaned these type up a bit with a soft cloth and a very slightly damp with 99% denatured alcohol to blend what is there.  Be very careful around the cartouches or they will fade considerably, you'll want to keep the sharp edges.

For the metal, I take a Scotch-brite pad and oil.  It won't scratch or dull the finish at all and will lift the cloudy film off the surface.

Other than that.  Good show, HR!

dot1943

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Nice Russian! Nice Harley! You had a good day. ;)

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
Very nice.

If you are so inclined, a very light mist of Zinzer amber shellac will hold down the edges of the flaking Russian Shellac on the wrist area.

Do not over do it, and do not spray around the cartouches as stated, Shellac will fill in the area.

NICE

D
The collector formerly known as Prince From Sunny SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA www.bulletbutton.com

Turbogeo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Russian 54' Izzy
Very nice, sounds like a good day at the show.
Live free or die trying!

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
Beautiful rifle.

Maybe get a side-car before the next show :lol:

I love those things!  4 season riding then.  Someday we'll have one here.

HR

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
I can see why you left the Alby home!  Only one per handlebar, per trip.   :lol:

I came so close to getting it.  I sold one of my FNP pistols to the guy next to the Alby seller and just kept trying to get him to take my offer, but he wouldn't budge.  Oh well, I'm very happy with the Tula.

It will be a tough one to touch up and still retain the non-refurb status.  I have cleaned these type up a bit with a soft cloth and a very slightly damp with 99% denatured alcohol to blend what is there.  Be very careful around the cartouches or they will fade considerably, you'll want to keep the sharp edges.

So would you just recommend leaving it alone?  I really don't want to screw it up.

For the metal, I take a Scotch-brite pad and oil.  It won't scratch or dull the finish at all and will lift the cloudy film off the surface.

The green pads that you can buy at the grocery store for cleaning pots?

Other than that.  Good show, HR!

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
Very nice.

If you are so inclined, a very light mist of Zinzer amber shellac will hold down the edges of the flaking Russian Shellac on the wrist area.

Do not over do it, and do not spray around the cartouches as stated, Shellac will fill in the area.

NICE

D

So Darin, would you use an airbrush or something similar to achieve this? 

HR

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
Yes, HR, the pads for scouring pots and pans works wonders with some oil.

And even before I refinish a stock with shellac, I still clean it with the soft cloth and the denatured alcohol that you get in the paint section of the hardware store.  It has no water in it.  I go very slowly and some of the cracks and flakes begin to blend.  It won't cover the bare areas, but it will pull out tons of black grime from the wood and the surface of the shellac.

hogjon13

• Proud to be a
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • I am not a number. I will not get on "The Bus"
 :salute: :thumbleft:  :snorting:
0/0
My last computer beat me at chess, but it wasn't worth a crap in a gunfight.

Those with little first-hand experience who dismiss or ignore the learned opinions of those more experienced are doomed to wander through life without a clue.

μολών λαβέ

boomer34

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • I've voted, now what?
Great find HR. Very nice rifle. Be gentle with it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
HR,

I use the spray can stuff.

GO SUPER LIGHT! The spray can will remove any of the white film that a Denatured Alcohol wipedown might produce, and I would stay away from the areas where your stamps are. I'm mainly talking about the wrist area on top where the scratches are. The spray Shellac will not change the color of the area, but will stop it from lifting and cracking any more.

D
The collector formerly known as Prince From Sunny SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA www.bulletbutton.com

Tinkerbell

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Be Afraid, But Vigilant.
Nice piece. Glad to see You found one. I lived in Lafeyette for a year. Used to love that Indy show. Built an '03 Springfield from parts over a weekend there. If it existed You could find it there...Nice ride...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary....

I Don't dial 911, and I refuse to press "1" for English!!!!

richtherake

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • That's my Rottweiler May Day. She's a fat load.
Nice rifle and nice ride!  :thumbleft: