Author Topic: .380 ammo for defensive, hollow hydro shock or ball?  (Read 2633 times)

Brianut

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
.380 ammo for defensive, hollow hydro shock or ball?
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
just purchased 2 Sig p238's, one for me in black with rose grips and one for the missus in the titanium rainbow.

Normally for a defensive load I would go hollow nasty stuff like a hydro shock type load
 (my XD .40) but was wondering what the thought might be for .380.
since it is a little softer of a punch.
would it be better to penetrate deeper?
vs. the idea of "shock".

I did see 4gunfuns post  from a search that he posted in January going through a refer jug, was that ball?
HP?

thanks gents, BTW cant wait to get these little 380 out and try them.
heard nothing but good.

Went in to buy the wife a smaller more managble carry peice (LCP)
and ended up leaving with 2 sigs, she liked the Rainbow sig, for other reasons than color, and I said no fair so she told me to get one and stop complaining.Was looking LCP, but she urged me onto the Sig.

who am I to argue with her O:)

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
Re: .380 ammo for defensive, hollow hydro shock or ball?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
Ball. No hollow points for .380s for me. Not enough energy for expansion or if it does no penetration. I'd rather have the ball round go deeper than the hollow point expand on the surface.

Ranger will jump in here after a while, he loves the .380.
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
 Man,  you always see me coming. :lol:

First off, I don't like the .380 as a pistol that you are going to bet your life on; it's just not enough to stop a pissed off human reliably, no matter how well you place your shots, on a consistent basis, and anyone that thinks it is is kidding themselves. :roll:

BUT

If you absolutely insist on carrying one, I would go with ball ammo, which will feed more reliably and penetrate better than a hp round ; IMHO, an hp round at the velocity and energy generated by the .380 will not reliably pentrate and expand, so it's better to go with a round that does one of those two things well- the fmj/ball round. 8)

Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »
Whats the minimal penetration you need?
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Whats the minimal penetration you need?

One inch thicker then the area of the person you are hitting.

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
The human body is good at adapting to injuries.  Shock is a good thing to an extent, ever notice when you cut yourself and you tense up and then see that it's not bleeding. Then you relax and all of the sudden you have a gusher? That was a small form of shock. The body can handle one wound fairly well. You get two wounds (an entrance and exit) and it has more trouble managing things.

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
  • There Is A War Going On For Your Mind
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
Gee thanks Ranger now you have me questioning getting my FE'G PMK for carry.  :lol:

Also is there a differance in .380 auto and .380 ACP
"I about dropped the bike getting him off, it was like I was being raped."
:Kalash:

allesennogwat

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
380 Auto and 380 ACP should be the same. The FBI recommends FMJ ball ammo in 380 and not hollow points. The FBI testing does favor penetration over expansion though.

I used to notice one brand of 380 ball was hotter than the others, comparing the big American brands, but I don't remember which one it was now. The slightly heavier bullets do better. 95 grains over 90 grains. Of the hollow point ammo Winchester Ranger is good but it's not a special "Ranger" bullet in 380 and is the standard Winchester JHP, same as in the non-Ranger SXT. I can't remember which of the FMJ's was hottest, Winchester, Remington, Federal or Speer/CCI, but I may have kept a record of it somewhere. I think one has a 90 grain bullet and two were about the same with 95 grain bullets but one with a 95 grain bullet was always a bit hotter. I'll see if I can find it in my records.

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
According to the chart in my first link Winchester 95gr FMJ (truncated cone) comes in first at 21.8 inches in bare ballistic gelatin. With a Cutting perimeter of 1.12 inches. Federal 95gr American Eagle FMJ comes in second at 20.7 inches at 1.12 Cutting perimeter.

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »
Does that say at what range? Also does this make anyone think twice about carrying a .380???

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
It doesn't say in the first link but in the second link with 4 layers of  heavy denim at 10 feet both 95gr Federal American Eagle FMJ and 95gr Winchester 'WWB' truncated cone penetrated 16 inches.

The results wont stop me from carrying a .380 because its all I have to carry. A .380 is better then no gun at all. 

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »
That is very true!!!!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
   True indeed that any gun is better than no gun at all in the gravest extreme...

On the other hand, there are a number of 9mm pistols available that are only fractions of an inch larger than the .380 offerings (often by the same manufacturers), but pack substantially more punch. They can be carried just as easily, be concealed just as well, and are much more effective for the defense of your very life, which is what is at stake the day you use that pistol....
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
I have been trying to save up for a Keltec 9mm but being on a fixed income it will take a long time. So for now at least I have the Bersa .380. I have it loaded with Remington 102gr Golden Saber JHP but After reading this thread and my links that showed only 10 inches of penetration  with a 2.77 inch Cutting perimeter I'm going to be loading it with FMJs because it doesn't look over penetration will be a problem.