Author Topic: Friggin squirrels are stealing all my peaches..... Help  (Read 2691 times)

blazebuster

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • HazMat Tech - If ya see me running try to keep up
Friggin squirrels are stealing all my peaches..... Help
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
I have had peach trees for 10 years and this is the first time I have had a problem. A family of the little devils are stealing all my peaches or eating them on the limbs. I really hate to take out the rifle on shoot them so anyone got any ideas how to stop this? I have picked all I can and they have got the rest so its too late this year, but has anyone else had this issue and how to stop it without turning them into a Red blur with a 223 round?
If you cant dazzle em with Brilliance, Baffle em with Bulls#*t

Venom00

• Director of Moon Based Operations
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Tactical Fetus Position!
Re: Friggin squirrels are stealing all my peaches..... Help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
They make mechanical owls you put near where the varmints are doing damage.
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

teanth

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I am having the same problem.  Not just with the peaches, but also with the pears, which are not even close to ripe.  Live traps are an idea.  Netting works great on squirrels if you have enough of it.  I am thinking of using grandpa's .22 revolver to make some sport of them.

blazebuster

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Thanks guys, some good ideas there, Only thing I can figure why this year is that we havnt had any rain in so long they are looking for moisture.

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 12:13:35 AM »
I have had peach trees for 10 years and this is the first time I have had a problem. A family of the little devils are stealing all my peaches or eating them on the limbs. I really hate to take out the rifle on shoot them so anyone got any ideas how to stop this? I have picked all I can and they have got the rest so its too late this year, but has anyone else had this issue and how to stop it without turning them into a Red blur with a 223 round?

We used to use light netting to keep the squirrels/birds off.  Drape it over the tree, and make sure to tie the hanging down parts to the trunk, so that squirrels can't crawl up inside the net.
guns be funs

Flyingmonkeys

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 02:06:40 AM »
I have seen people have luck with placing some sheet metal around the tree to prevent climbing, the a "cone" that prevents them from getting any higher in the tree-----But, if its near a tree they can jump from, forget it..........Might be time for some squirrel and peach pie.......
"As it is above, so it is below"
     W.G. A & A F M No: 84

wader

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Netting hung on a frame around your trees is a powerful deterrent to many pests, but it will need to be well secured to the ground as well or squirrles will find a way around it.  You could try to cover the majority of your trees and leave a couple uncovered and they may stick to the easy pickins.  Try hanging some unwanted cd's in the trees for motion and flash, get one of those sprinklers with a motion sensor on it (although I don't know if a squirrel is large enough to trip it), get an electric fence setup and run the lowest wire close to the ground around your trees and hook up a 10 mile charger to it.  If you really don't want to kill them, its going to be tough to keep them away now that they've found your fruit. 

My personal preference would be to kill them all with a .22 and make some stew.  I am a self styled farmer/gardener and I know your frustrations.  Keep us posted.

p309

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:41 AM »
It is sooo frustrating to see human food being taken by critters. Squirrels are actually kinda smart. We live trap them, and release them out of town, but you have to take them on a pretty long ride, or they'll find their way home. I didn't believe this, but an old timer told me once, "spray paint their tails, and see if they come back after you take them to their new home!".  I'll be hanged, we did it, the squirrels with the blue tails came back after their 5 mile ride. This was 5 miles as the crow flies, now we take them out quite a ways, usually about 20 miles out.  I used to just shoot 'em, but my wife just doesn't like shooting them, since we don't eat 'em. They have to be taken care of though, they can be very destructive.

jwperry

• Wake
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • The dolt behind the bolt.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:23 AM »
Do you have any pets? At my old house, I had problems with squirrels eating my avocados....then I got a dog. He got one and they all kind of disappeared after that.
Not legal in California, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Colorado, Cook County Illinois, Washington DC or Canada.

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:15:14 AM »
They love my plums too. I love to see them enjoying a good diet.

blazebuster

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
Do you have any pets? At my old house, I had problems with squirrels eating my avocados....then I got a dog. He got one and they all kind of disappeared after that.
Yea I have my two Labs but they are getting older and slow, They will chase them but I think the Squirrels just ,ake a game of messing with them.

jmm

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »
I will solve your problem. You can rent my labs. They are not old and slow.
Better to fight for something than live for nothing-Patton
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere-Voltaire

blazebuster

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
Lol,, thanks,,, Just saw on going across yard with a apple as I picked the rest of the peaches, Dogs tried it but the little turd dropped the apple and went up a Pin Oak.