Author Topic: Birdcage flash suppressor  (Read 2750 times)

Tredegar

• SKS Plinker
Birdcage flash suppressor
« on: December 27, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
Has anyone used a bird cage suppressor on their 7.62 AK ? Is it worth putting on ? Does it work for flash suppression or reduce recoil or muzzle climb ?
Demography is destiny .

marksmak

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 12:15:14 AM »
I used this today

1 out 10
flash suppression: I'd give it a 8
reduce recoil: I'd give it a 6
muzzle climb: I'd give it a 9

I just wish it was threaded on, Shot 60rd and it was lose as a goose. I bet another 20rd and it would of been gone!!
Everybody wants to go to heaven but Nobody wants to go DEAD

k_semler

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 12:39:06 AM »
@Marksmak:

You need a twist on model with 2 set screws.  Put it on and tighten it as much as possible.  Shoot 30 rounds through it, (or heat it up with a torch), and re-tighten it with the included Allen wrench by hand.  With it as tight as possible when hot, let it cool down, and it will automatically indent the barrel.  Once it is cool, tighten it until you can't turn it any further, and shoot 20 more rounds from it.  Turn it as tight as possible while hot, and let it cool down.  Once it is cooled, tighten it again.  It will set into the barrel even further.  Let it cool for 24 hours.  It will now be securly mounted.  I did this for my aftermarket SKS recoil suppressor from CTD, and the only way I can get it off now is if I get a hammer and chisel to pound it off with the set screws removed.  It absolutley will not come off by hand, no matter how hard I try.  I actually have it on so tight that I really don't even need to put on the lock nuts.  When pushed all the way down, I hear an audible *click* because the flash supressor shrunk by 3/1000th's of an inch in diameter to make it absolutly tight against the barrel.  With the set screws all the way in, it will never come off.

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
Re: Birdcage flash suppressor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 12:43:13 AM »
Quote from: Tredegar
Has anyone used a bird cage suppressor on their 7.62 AK ? Is it worth putting on ? Does it work for flash suppression or reduce recoil or muzzle climb ?

Depends...

It is just primarily a hider IF it is a full cage like the old AR15 guns had.

Or, IF the bottom of the cage is closed, as it is on current AR15 guns -it will do some degree of compensation for muzzle rise.

Lollygagger  :wink:  (Personally, since a cage does not really do that much, and looks very "AR-ish" -i think they are a bit lame on a AK. That said, the Norinco 84S .223 gun came with just such a device.)

wera276

• SKS Gunsmith
  • "Im a lead farmer"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 12:45:01 AM »
Put some JB weld or high temp epoxy under the thing and it will stay put.

My SAR came with a AK74 MB on it held in place by nothing more than JB weld and a wave washer.  Ive shot it a LOT, i mean 100's of mags full and it aint moved at all.
current SKS's  54 Russian, 71 Yugo59/66, 74 China

Tredegar

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 01:46:26 PM »
Has anyone used the AK-74 type compensator ?
Demography is destiny .

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 01:49:17 PM »
Quote from: Tredegar
Has anyone used the AK-74 type compensator ?

Sure...several.

I think they offfer the most brake/comp for thebuck design-wise...and look good  as well.

Lollygagger  :wink:

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:58:26 PM »
Birdcage

I have a birdcage on both a 7.62X39 AK and a .223 AK. Since it's a real flash hider adopted and used by the US and other militaries, I have to assume that it does help with muzzle flash. But I haven't fired them much in low light conditions so I really haven't made a comparison.

As far as muzzle climb I don't think it would help noticeably. I don't have any experience with full-auto and don't think it would matter on a semi-auto.

FWIW I've heard that the "Vortech" flash hider used during the Vietnam War on US M-16s worked very well. I don't know if that came out before or after the "Birdcage".

AK-74 Type

I hear they're the best design ever for muzzle climb. I have one on a Bulgarian build but still have never fired it since it was built almost 2 years ago. :oops:
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

overclockedjesus

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:22:27 AM »
Quote from: marksmak
I used this today

1 out 10
flash suppression: I'd give it a 8
reduce recoil: I'd give it a 6
muzzle climb: I'd give it a 9

I just wish it was threaded on, Shot 60rd and it was lose as a goose. I bet another 20rd and it would of been gone!!

Did you shoot someone laying on that blanket?

marksmak

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:16:49 PM »
LOL  :lol:.....  No that's just the pateren on the blanket
Everybody wants to go to heaven but Nobody wants to go DEAD

curly

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 08:54:30 PM »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:59:26 PM by curly »
Selling a gun is like screwing your sister...it's just not right, man.-Foul

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Lollygagger

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »
Quote from: curly
One thing about the 74 brake is that it is a brake not a flash-hider and actually increases flash signiture.

That seems to be the conventional wisdom. I have heard it said that this is more like a "re-directing" of the signature.

In anycase, I tried it (signature at night is a interest of mine)...

And, it is largley BOGUS. It appears that ANY device will "sink" out some heat, and therefore, signature -just some more than others.

The single largest factor in signature is barrel length -compare night fire with a SKS paratrooper (or standard AK) to the longer standard SKS, and you'll see what I mena quickly.

Lollygagger  :wink:  (I've learned to test this stuff -alot of what is repeated is malarkey)