Author Topic: 7.9mm Ammo  (Read 3057 times)

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
7.9mm Ammo
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:25:44 PM »
I'm bran new to this 8mm Mauser stuff.  I ordered a case from Century and the label is below.  Is this 7.9mm stuff the right ammo for the 8mm Mauser?

"I would rather suffer from too much freedom, than not enough."  Heimdhal
"Free people need free markets - or they aren't free."  Gibson_GM

Thed

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The Lorax
    • http://www.ironsightaction.com
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »
Yup.

If you plan on shooting the 1950's vintage Yugo 8mm, you may want to make sure the bolt body, spring, and firing pin are sqeaky clean and lubed. Any residual cosmoline or debris will cause friction normally not a concern on other ammo.

Upgrading the firing pin spring if you shoot alot of this stuff is suggested. Otherwise you may note high rate of dud primers.

-Thed

Swamp Fox

7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:32:16 PM »
I believe that's Yugoslavian.  Could be mistaken.

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:15:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  I guess it's not primo ammo but I've only got one Mauser (so far) so figured that it would be fine for "get acquainted" ammo.  If I get a lot of duds I'll probably just have to buy more guns to see if it's the spring or something else.  :lol:

Bearlaker

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • BR 549
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 09:43:38 PM »
Which model do you have galahad?  I'm looking for one myself.
"...They must find it difficult...Those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority..." G. Massey
http://www.atheists.org/

galahad

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • The old fart in TEXAS
    • Survivor's SKS Boards
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 03:33:51 PM »
It's one of the CZECH Mausers.  Now that I've got ammo I guess I'm going to have to clean it up.  :oops:

Jedal Zhan

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 04:31:53 PM »
Wierd how an 8mm is actually 7.9x59
I finally figured that out the other day after looking in the Hornady book while thinking of reloading some for a friend.
We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.

DoomsowerJeff

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 04:54:38 PM »
7.92x57....

The Yugo stuff is pretty good, but it's probably better suited for the more "durable" Mausers. You wouldn't want to run it through a Turkish Mauser.
I fire a lot of the Romanian surplus ammo, and I'm quite pleased with that, as well.
Congrats on your Mauser. They're addicting. I've got 5 so far, with 2 more enroute, albeit not all in the 7.92 caliber.
And I'm sure you're already aware of this, but, just in case, be certain to clean that rifle after each time firing it, as the Yugoslav (and pretty much all surplus Bloc ammo) uses corrosive primers.
One of these days, I'll learn to stay in one place...

Jedal Zhan

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 05:03:45 PM »
Lol... Yah, I guess I invented a new round didn't I.  :oops:

DoomsowerJeff

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 05:15:52 PM »
I'll let you have the last laugh. When I first got into C&R collecting, I was under the impression that the 7x57 and 7.92x57 round were one in the same, and ended up buying a large amount of Chilean surplus ammo from a guy in Texas. So, the first two rounds went fine through my K98. Then the third one let's loose this large puff of smoke, and the casing gets stuck in the chamber. So, I get online, talk to the guy, and, come to find out, they're not the same. Ooops...  :oops:
Anyhow, he offered to buy it back, but, I figured, why be assed to bother with that, when I'd much prefer to buy a gun which suited the ammo, instead?

Jedal Zhan

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
Lol... yah.
Calibers can get pretty sticky sometimes. I try to actually not remember my reloading numbers too well when it comes to powder measure and max/min OAL and everything. When I want to buy a box of lead, I see what cal I really need, and if I've written one down, I take the make and model number with me. That way when I go to reload, I look in the book, find my notes scribbled in the margin and use those numbers that I know will work instead of the cloudy ones in my head.

And to think...
I'm young and havn't done drugs ever...... Just think what I'll be like when I'm old. As Tired Old Fart says: "The... ummm... well I can't really remember whats the first thing to go when you get old."

DoomsowerJeff

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 05:29:18 PM »
The only handloading I've ever done is when I'd want to make rounds for IPSC competition. Unfortunately, the reloading dies aren't mine, so I don't have unlimited access to the equipment.
I'm 25, and have had noticeable, although not acute, memory loss since I was hit intentionally by a speeding car, when I was working as a paramedic. Almost four minutes of being clinically dead, coupled with ten days of being comatose, has that effect, I guess.

Jedal Zhan

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 05:43:18 PM »
I have no such excuse.  :lol:

DoomsowerJeff

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
Even that one couldn't save me from being kicked in the nuts by my ex-  :oops:
"I swear.. I didn't ignore your birthday! There's a reason I couldn't remember it!"

Jedal Zhan

• SKS Sniper
7.9mm Ammo
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 01:51:53 AM »
Awww...
Kick a man when he's down. You're better off.....