Author Topic: Pre-Ban Magazines - New York State  (Read 2293 times)

Reblyell

• SKS Expert
Pre-Ban Magazines - New York State
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »
Hoo, boy! I should have looked before I leapt! I posted a WTB Mini-14 (pre-ban) magazines request recently. Now I have been informed by a few fellow firearms enthusiasts that purchasing, and transporting/delivering ANY (pre-ban included) magazine OVER a 10 round capacity INTO the state is AGAINST THE LAW. Does this mean that I can only purchase them from a fellow NYS resident? So, after referencing NYS Firearms laws, I can find no indication of this. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or the laws I read weren't current/updated? Can any of you folks shed more light on this topic? Best!
Fear is the darkroom where negatives develop.

Workingzombie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Defending liberty with a communist-made rifle
Re: Pre-Ban Magazines - New York State
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »
Well, you can own and buy "pre-ban" AK 30 round mags in NY. But I am **guessing** since Mini-14's are not milsurplus like AK's or SKS-M/D's, they don't come under the same qualification. Mini-14's are considered modern sporting firearms, and no modern civilian firearm in NY can exceed 10 round capacity.

It is possible  Mini-14 pre-ban mags may be legal, but bozo's like  Bloomberg, Cuomo, & Spitzer have sued out of state gun shops (with my tax dollars :evil:) on spurious charges to discourage gun sales to NY. Even though the charges are bogus, the expense of defending themselves in court has made gun shops reluctant to deal with NY.

For example, I once tried to buy some pre-ban AK mags from Classic Arms, and they would not do it when they found out I lived in NY.But it's perfectly legal for me to own them, as long as they are milsurplus, and not of modern manufacture.

Check with some gun dealers, they should be able to tell you for sure.
"No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up!"

-Lily Tomlin

"Smells like government"
                                        -Wolverine

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
either im gonna move outta this state or im going to end up tearing down the gov't buildings by banging my head against them repeatedly during the confusion of these laws  :roll: :lol:

illuminatus90

• SKS Gunsmith
  • You Cant Win!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
 Yeah we have really bad laws here, we cant really even get a silencer, threaded barrel, folding or adjustable stocks, i think a bayonet lug is a no no. Good thing the sks is considered a Curio & Relic. That is one reason of why i want a glock-19 or something like that, seems like there is a good amount of pre ban magazines for it. Hmm now a Keltec SUB-2000 is looking appealing to me.
This is Colonel Ourumov. Come out with your hands above your head.

greg212

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
NY's gun laws a almost as bad as California.  I live about 15 minutes from the NY state line and the only time I bring a gun into NY is when it's locked in the trunk as I drive through the state.  NYC is even worse.
"Among other evils which being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised."  -Niccolò Machiavelli The Prince; Chaper 14

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
NY's gun laws a almost as bad as California.  I live about 15 minutes from the NY state line and the only time I bring a gun into NY is when it's locked in the trunk as I drive through the state.  NYC is even worse.
well if you have a CCW permit you can carry it outside the trunk  :? it sucks we need to get a permit in the first place  :banghead:

greg212

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »
well if you have a CCW permit you can carry it outside the trunk  :? it sucks we need to get a permit in the first place  :banghead:

I looked into getting a non resident CCW permit but it's basically impossible (unless I missed something).  It funny because my state gave out a whole bunch of non resident CCW permits to NY state residents this year but they don't return the favor. :(
"Among other evils which being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised."  -Niccolò Machiavelli The Prince; Chaper 14

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
well if you have a CCW permit you can carry it outside the trunk  :? it sucks we need to get a permit in the first place  :banghead:

I looked into getting a non resident CCW permit but it's basically impossible (unless I missed something).  It funny because my state gave out a whole bunch of non resident CCW permits to NY state residents this year but they don't return the favor. :(
My Gov't sucks, but it can be worse, i could be in illinois  :lol: my friend dillon said there is an anti gun campaign talking about how MP5's arent used for hunting deer  :roll:

Reblyell

• SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Thanks for all the input and support! As of now I still cannot define the legality of purchasing pre-bans from out of state, and having them delivered. The local gun shops were useless too. What a waste of precious time from my lunch hour calling them! So my quest continues . . .

Rommel_1891

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • What guns?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
The way I understand it, if the mags are dated, you're okay. However, as stated, the trick is finding someone willing to deal with the risk. Your best bet is going to probably be to find some gun shows to go to in Pennsylvania, Vermont, etc, where freedom still exists to a slightly greater degree.
"... We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
go to the gun show taking place on Sept. 11 and 12 at middletown, new york. orange county fairgrounds, they have plenty of "pre ban hi caps"  8)

Reblyell

• SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
go to the gun show taking place on Sept. 11 and 12 at middletown, new york. orange county fairgrounds, they have plenty of "pre ban hi caps"  8)
Hey fellow disgusted New Yorker! I go to all the local shows, and 'good' Mini-14 mags are not easy to come by. In fact the last show (Middletown) I was at had none. Perhaps luck will be with me this time? I asked my FFL guy (who is also an LEO) about this whole subject and he indicated that as long as the mags are pre-ban, it does not matter how one attains them. Any thoughts? Best!

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
Hey fellow disgusted New Yorker! I go to all the local shows, and 'good' Mini-14 mags are not easy to come by. In fact the last show (Middletown) I was at had none. Perhaps luck will be with me this time? I asked my FFL guy (who is also an LEO) about this whole subject and he indicated that as long as the mags are pre-ban, it does not matter how one attains them. Any thoughts? Best!
yeah most of them they had were crappy promags  :puke:
so you are going to the gun show?  :o

Reblyell

• SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, I'm planning on going. That's assuming the scheduled inventory at work that weekend goes without a hitch. Best! 

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »

Yes, I'm planning on going. That's assuming the scheduled inventory at work that weekend goes without a hitch. Best! 
[/quote]
since its on the 11th there may be some very interesting patriotic items there too  :o