Author Topic: J.C. Higgins Model 101.24 22 cal. single shot bolt action rifle  (Read 1725 times)

makarov

• SKS Sniper
J.C. Higgins Model 101.24 22 cal. single shot bolt action rifle
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Hey Guys,
My dad has this old 22caliber single shot rifle that needs alot of work done on it. It has J.C. Higgins Model 101.24, Sears Roebuck & Co. stamped on the barrel in front of the rear sight. I was told it was originally a Savage/Stevens Model 15.

Mechanically, everything works well on it and it shoots great but, it needs alot of outside work done on it. It also needs an elevator for in the rear sight.

The story was back when my uncle was like 10yrs old in like 1945's, he painted the stock and barrel silver color.  :shock:  :cry: Since it's been sitting around for the last 50 yrs, it has this varnish on it espically, on the metal. It looks like CRAP!!!!!! It now has this gold/brownish color to it.

I was wondering, what can i use to get the paint off? I want to use something that isn't gonna leave scratch marks on the metal. The wood is gonna need to be redone too.  I'm planning on rebluing it afterwards which I've never done before so, I could use a few tips in that area too..

Also, while I was cleaning it up today, I pulled the bolt out and the firing pin fell out on the table.. I asked my dad about it and he saids it's always been like that.. The firing pin is free floated and acts as an ejector too.. Is the firing pin supposed to just fall out of the bolt? Does anyone else who has the rifle have the same problem?
i don't own a makarov anymore.