Author Topic: Someone list the qualifications that a Vietnam bringback sks rifle would have.  (Read 6135 times)

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Don't just show a picture, but if you have one to go along with the info that would be great. We know if there's no paper then it's not a bringback but some might want these rifles anyway. Thank you

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
They look the same as any other Chinese sks from pre 1978. But no import stamp.
 I have seen papered bring backs that look rotted and bluing completely gone - To some that look new in the box.
 The only true bringback without papers would be a NVA. There is no other way these guns culd have arrived into this country.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:44:41 AM by Lafayettegregory »

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Someone list the qualifications that a Vietnam bringback sks rifle would have.

papers

anything else is one big maybe
guns be funs

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
Other verifiable non papered Bringbacks are

North Korean, and East German (probably) . Never been imported.

Other than those three, I'd say any SKS rifle dated before 1974 and no import mark, would fall in the possible catagory. Possibly missed at the import shop too!

D
The collector formerly known as Prince From Sunny SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA www.bulletbutton.com

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
What would a Russian with no import marks be?

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
Worth about $50-$75 more than one with import marks. i have one that I am sure was a bringback from somewhere and not just "missed" but it had other characteristics that would indicate it was not imported.

In fact I am reviewing it with a Hungarian weapons collector. It came in a orange heavily sanded and repaired Russian stock, with a trigger and magazine that match each other but are not matched to the rifle. All other parts match, and all parts including the repaired stock are Russian. This indicates that the parts were swapped with others on the same table, where the entire pats pool was of Soviet manufacture.

Here is the exact color of my stock in a Hungarian photo. You do not see this color much anywhere else.
http://www.hungariae.com/Simonov.htm
I had thought this a Vietnam bringback, but the odds of the parts getting replaced with only Russian and the stock getting refurbished instead of replaced, seems more like Hungarian. How it might have gotten here....I dunno.

Definitely not imported.

My error was taking it out of the Hungarian stock, and placing it in a Polish Honor Guard stock to restore the rifle to a Polish Honor Guard rifle.

Should have checked into it a little better first. I can replace the stuff, but I like the Polish unit better.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:29:12 PM by Prince50 »
The collector formerly known as Prince From Sunny SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA www.bulletbutton.com

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
In Vietnam did they not have Russian sks too?

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
Worth about $50-$75 more than one with import marks. i have one that I am sure was a bringback from somewhere and not just "missed" but it had other characteristics that would indicate it was not imported.

In fact I am reviewing it with a Hungarian weapons collector. It came in a orange heavily sanded and repaired Russian stock, with a trigger and magazine that match each other but are not matched to the rifle. All other parts match, and all parts including the repaired stock are Russian. This indicates that the parts were swapped with others on the same table, where the entire pats pool was of Soviet manufacture.

Here is the exact color of my stock in a Hungarian photo. You do not see this color much anywhere else.

I had thought this a Vietnam bringback, but the odds of the parts getting replaced with only Russian and the stock getting refurbished instead of replaced, seems more like Hungarian. How it might have gotten here....I dunno.

Definitely not imported.

My error was taking it out of the Hungarian stock, and placing it in a Polish Honor Guard stock to restore the rifle to a Polish Honor Guard rifle.

Should have checked into it a little better first. I can replace the stuff, but I like the Polish unit better.

Hey Darin, I couldn't get your Hungarian parade photo to come up.  I'd be interested in seeing it if you get a chance to repost it.

Thanks!

HR

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
HR, just hit the link. The server does not like to be linked to I guess. http://www.hungariae.com/Simonov.htm

Alamo,

Yes Russian SKS rifles were used in Vietnam. And a non import marked unit would have a probibility of being from there.

The issues making me think mine was not from VN  are the fact that all replacement parts are Russian. Field repairs in Vietnam would probably have been with a mixmaster batch of parts.

The stock work on mine is not Chinese in nature.

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
In Vietnam did they not have Russian sks too?

It would seem possible. The Soviet Union provided a lot of military aid to North Vietnam. So did China until 1970. China then got upset with the North Vietnam's because of their continued relationship with the Soviet Union and ceased military aid then. Instead, China began to support the Khmer Rouge's effort in Cambodia as part of a maneuver to limit the Soviet influence in South East Asia.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Lots of stories but only so many papers. :lol:
Unmarked firerams are good candidates for a campfire story.  Always have been and always will be since import stamp requirements began..  Part of the hobby and not unheard of for import stamps to be scrubbed by folks.
There are certainly SKS rifles that look and feel like bringbacks and may or may not be. 

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
If you interrogate the gun itself and it can only respond in Mon-Khmer, then it doesn't need papers.

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Hey D,where is the repaired part of the stock?
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
Both sides of the rear receiver area, and the toe of the buttstock.

D

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Both sides of the rear receiver area, and the toe of the buttstock.

D

Hmmm........makes me think it's a Syrian used Russian. Never seen one yet without a heel or toe repair,and that different orangish color on heavily sanded stocks. Are the repairs very well done? The Syrians were taught by English Armorers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:52:27 PM by Woodbeef »
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North