Author Topic: AR-15 With No Forward Assist  (Read 2092 times)

Reblyell

• SKS Expert
AR-15 With No Forward Assist
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
Hey, all! I'm looking at a possible trade on an older AR that has no forward assist. I've never owned an AR without one, so this will seem odd to me altogether. I am fully versed in the FA's function, as well as maintaining the rifle's cleanliness for reliabilty. However, for those who have experience with ARs without an FA, have you ever had any problems worth mentioning? Also, I might as well ask...Would anyone here trust their life to an AR without an FA in a SHTF situation, if they had to? Thanks, and best!
Fear is the darkroom where negatives develop.

ruston61

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: AR-15 With No Forward Assist
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
I've fired 1000's of rounds threw the m16 and ar15 never used the forward asssit. So it would not bother me not to have one..
Last man standing wins..........

Fal Grunt

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »
Personally I would not take an AR into any type of situtation without a Forward Assist. I also have fired thousands of rounds through AR's and I HAVE had to use the FA.

-myers

Alaskan derelict

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
It is most likely a Colt SP-1 which was the first AR-15 type rifle available. If it's in good condition it has some collector value. There is a group of guys up here that hunt with them. I've shot AR-15 and M16 since 1980 and used the forward assist maybe a couple times. For SHTF I'd need a forward assist.

projo198

• FAILING AT LIFE, BUT DOING IT GLORIOUSLY.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • <<amazingly witty comment>>
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »
Without the forward assist how could you perform the "T"ap in SPORTS? (who knows it)???LOL

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
If I were in a situation where my life depended on the Ar-15 (hopefully I'll never be in that situation) I cant imagine NOT having the Forward assist. It was put there for a reason, and while you may never have to use it, it sure is nice to know its there.
"I'm just here for the gasoline." Mad Max played by Mel Gibson

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
You can use your thumb and push the carrier forward on the gas ports, but it will burn the **** out of you if you have been firing doing it without a glove.

I have an SP1 upper dedicated to a 22 conversion carrier, but I have ran some 223 through it.  As mentioned, they came up with that for a reason, and I would not favor it in a life or death situation.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

torino

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
I have a DPMS Lo-Pro with a 16'' bull barrel. No forward assist and no dust cover. I have over 1000 rounds through it from factory to reloads, and haven't had a problem with ftf or fte.(I guess I just jinxed myself). :lol:
Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, and you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son...

Joeninja

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »
I have never used one and probably never will. The only time it might be necessary is if you shoot 1000 rounds straight without cleaning and there is so much carbon buildup that the rifle is about to fail; or if you drop your rifle in a mud puddle and then sand and goop and stuff and it is barely clean enough to fire.

willyj

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
Personally I would not take an AR into any type of situtation without a Forward Assist. I also have fired thousands of rounds through AR's and I HAVE had to use the FA.

-myers

x2.

Its there in the way 9 out of 10 times. But that one time you do need it..... You can always pull the charging handle all the way to the rear, give the rifle a little wide tilt with a snap to clear the area and let a full spring charge to get another round to seat. OR slap the butt real hard in a safe direction.

If you are interested in the older upper recievers check out NODAK Spud. I like the older nostalgic ARs too.

Check this link

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

The NDS-604 "Retro" upper receiver

Ready for you to build your Viet Nam era "Slick side" rifle.

They are cut for a .250" front push pin, and are recessed (left side) for the 601 type front takedown pin.

This upper is 7075 T6 with a type 3 hardcoat anodizing done by Victor @ US Anodizing in his "XM" gray.

NDS-604 upper receiver

qty 1  $150 shipped

2-5   $145 ea.

6-20 $140 ea. 

Not only is the glass half empty, the rest is evaporating.

Ceddie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • It’s bad luck to be superstitious…
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
I didn’t know how much I had S-R-T drilled into my muscle memory until I shot a slick-side. It was really odd to not have that last step.  
That said if the right deal came my way, I wouldn’t pass up a deal on a rifle because it didn’t have the FA.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:38:39 AM by Ceddie »
Ceddie
~
Never trust a dude with a roll of visqueen and no plausible reason.~
A well armed hippie with a generally poor attitude about how the ‘left’ has chosen to redefine ‘liberalism’… LIVE & LET LIVE use to mean something.

Rommel_1891

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • What guns?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »
My father in law has one of those old school AR's. He got it at a show a few years ago. I bought him one of those ugly Vietnam era triangular hand guards for it so he could dress it up like his old service rifle. The forward assist is one of those things that's nice to have, but usually isn't necessary. I think of all the AR's I've owned, I can't recall ever needing to use the assist.

As far as trusting your life to one, I don't know. I don't see why not. Using quality ammo, assuming you normally keep the rifle clean, it should take a good amount of firing to start fouling up enough to need the assist. I say if the price looks good, get it.
"... We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams

Alaskan derelict

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »
Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Morg308

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Ministry of silly walks employee of the month
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
The SEAL teams testing the 601 in Vietnam felt that it was unnecessary. Of course, they CLEAN their weapons. If I fire so many rounds in a firefight that the weapon gums up so I have to push the carrier in manually (which as Onepoint pointed out, can be done with your thumb) then I should have de-assed the area a long time ago! The AR15 has limitations, but is still a good weapon. I personally like the cleaner look of the slicksides, but I'm into retro ARs so guys who like rails laugh at guys like me. Hey, I like bone-stock SKS's too...

Target

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I got all I need here.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Well regardless if you have never used it or not, sometimes if your weapon doesnt go into battery then you need to give it a nudge, its fast to tap the button and sort it out rather than break your line of sight and pull back the charging handle. Also Ar-15s can run for a long time without being cleaned so long as its only carbon build up from firing, its when you start getting dirt and mud in the system, thats when it starts to fail. Sitting at a bench and shooting 1000+ rounds through it without cleaning it isn't that much of a test. dont know why you wouldnt clean it after spending that much money on a high end system. Rolling around in the dirt mud and sand and getting the rifle all kinds of dirty and then trying to fire 1000+ plus roundswould be a good test for it.
"I'm just here for the gasoline." Mad Max played by Mel Gibson