Author Topic: ? Your opinion - Best ammo to use with a Mosin 91/30 7.62 x 54r  (Read 2131 times)

VZ58

• SKS Marksman
? Your opinion - Best ammo to use with a Mosin 91/30 7.62 x 54r
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
Hey Guys,

I recently bought my first MN 91/30 - Tula 1939.

I am looking around at mil surplus ammo (corrosive) and trying to decide which would be good to buy.  SMG has Albanian steel core and Russian steel core.  I saw Aim had Polish surplus.   

Which ammo would you buy?

Thanks.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: ? Your opinion - Best ammo to use with a Mosin 91/30 7.62 x 54r
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
 In my experience with them, they are all pretty good I did not really notice that much difference between any of the light ball surplus offering's.....One thing to consider with the AIM stuff is that it's coming on the stripper clips, which is nice, because you have the clips to reuse. 8)

Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

res45

• SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
The Polish is suppose to be pretty consistent accuracy wise get some of both,you can't really ever have enough.

Tinkerbell

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Be Afraid, But Vigilant.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »
I have a 1939 Tula and it loves the Barnaul 203grn with the steel cases ans soft points. It will print 2" groups at 100yrds all day long. The Heavier the bullet, the better accuracy You will have with a Mosin....At least in my experience. The lighter stuff seems to print high...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary....

I Don't dial 911, and I refuse to press "1" for English!!!!

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
I have a 1939 Tula and it loves the Barnaul 203grn with the steel cases ans soft points. It will print 2" groups at 100yrds all day long. The Heavier the bullet, the better accuracy You will have with a Mosin....At least in my experience. The lighter stuff seems to print high...
I get the complete opposite in my M44.
 Its best to buy small amounts of a few different ammos to see which your rifle shoots the best then buy that in bulk.
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
I get the complete opposite in my M44.
 Its best to buy small amounts of a few different ammos to see which your rifle shoots the best then buy that in bulk.

could be that running the heavier bullet through the shorter barrels is short changing you on velocity and causing it to drop more.  Im just assuming though.

I dont know exactly what kind I got recently.  I just picked up a 91/30 a few weeks ago and one box of ammo to test it with.  I think it was light ball, but I dont really know.  It did decent enough.  Might try to scout out some heavier grain stuff and REALLY test it for accuracy rather than just function, next itme.
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

Tinkerbell

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Be Afraid, But Vigilant.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
Get devestating results on Deer and Elk out to 300 Yrds with the 203grn stuff. Velocity has never been an issue with me. I go for ballistic Co efficient more than velocity. A train moving at 60mph will kill You just as dead as a Porche doing 125. Its all in the stored energy of the bullet. That is why .45-70 is such a killer..Kinetic energy...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary....

I Don't dial 911, and I refuse to press "1" for English!!!!

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »
I meant that HB shoots high from The M44. I have three different surplus Lb. They all are pretty good at 100 yards.
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
I meant that HB shoots high from The M44. I have three different surplus Lb. They all are pretty good at 100 yards.

Oh...hmm..  I dunno then.  Im not ballistic expert or nothing, I was just figuring less velocity with a heavier bullet = faster drop.  I dont know why it would be shooting high, but I'm sure some one on here does ;)
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

VZ58

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will try the Polish and some heavy ball.

noyb72

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »
The carbine is shooting high because of the increased recoil of the heavy bullet. The lighter gun has more muzzle rise.

Actually, neither load is shooting high or low, they just have a different POI compared to the same POA. Adjust your sights for the heavy load in a carbine and the light stuff will have a lower POI.

Ron
"In all the years I've sat on this bench...I heard lots of things that give me grave doubts about the human race. This ain't one of them". Judge, All the pretty horses.

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
The carbine is shooting high because of the increased recoil of the heavy bullet. The lighter gun has more muzzle rise.

Actually, neither load is shooting high or low, they just have a different POI compared to the same POA. Adjust your sights for the heavy load in a carbine and the light stuff will have a lower POI.

Ron

see, what did I say, some one would know the answer! And its a damn fine answer!  :lol:
--Henry David Thoreau

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »

Ron

wow, I found just the opposite with my M44 Russain.
I had it sighted in for the 147 gr Albanian lb.
When I shot the 203 gr. Barnaul SP,
I was hitting 10" lower @100 yds.

I figured I'd better test with the ammo I would be hunting with.
Glad I did.

SamStafford

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
The best ammo? I buy whatever is the cheapest at the time. Be it the HB or LB, I don't mind. They shoot great in my 91/30 and M44.
What? Me worry?

Striker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »
If I remember, that Polish ammo AIM is selling come on stripper clips!!!!
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine