Author Topic: Norinco SKS Barrel Issue  (Read 972 times)

mikebrown18

• SKS Newbie
Norinco SKS Barrel Issue
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »
i hope someone can help me out with this. i was thinking of buying a Norinco SKS from a coworker for a hunting rifle. He had shot 10 rounds max through it and is the original owner. I was inspecting the bore of the barrel today and noticed a weird spot in it. It looks as if there is a pit or the chrome has come off in a spot. It is a quarter of the way down the barrel. It spans two sections of land and a groove. I would say the spot is 7-8mm in length. I am going to get a borescope from my work and look at it better tomorrow. Anyone heard of this, and is the barrel safe to use? I don't plan on using it until i know if its completely safe or not.

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: Norinco SKS Barrel Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »
Is it the gas port hole going into the upper gas tube ? Probably is and it might have some corrosion around it and needs a good cleaning.

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
Are you sure it's not the gas port?  Or possibly crud/carbon/cosmoline burned into the bore around the gas port?

You are doing the right thing by looking with a bore scope.  Let us know what you find.  Very interesting.

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
I would do as Taz recommends and scrub the crap out of it with a bronze bore brush, good bore cleaner, and swabs.  A lot.  The friend may not have scrubbed all the cosmo out of the barrel before he fired it.

mikebrown18

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
I will give it a good scrubbing again. It may be the gas port. it just looks like it was cut into it very crappy. Ill update the situation tomorrow. thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
If it's a concave blemish, and not protruding out into the actual barrel cylinder, the rifle should be perfectly safe to shoot as long as it's not a deep gouge. Before buying, you should ask to fire the rifle to make sure the blemish isn't having a harmful effect on accuracy. If it were me, I'd probably just set up at 50yds real quick, and just see if you can get any sort of consistent group. You don't need to worry about the sights too much (if you're a little off from where you aimed, the sights can be adjusted later), you just want consistency to eliminate the idea of the blemish causing problems. Make sense?
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »
Yup its the gas port for sure. Somehow they chamfer the port hole on the inside from the outside using some sort of reverse fish hook type chamfer tool.  This is what your seeing in the bore.  The first time i seen it i thought something was wrong with it too but them i realized the gas port hole is chamfered from the outside on the inside.                                          bill

Prince50

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • www.bulletbutton.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »

I need PICS of the reverse fish hook chamfer tool please.
 :lol:

Darin
The collector formerly known as Prince From Sunny SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA www.bulletbutton.com

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »

I need PICS of the reverse fish hook chamfer tool please.
 :lol:

Darin

You mean your armorer's kit didn't come with one? :shock:
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
I would think its power driven to make a chamfer that big in the bore.  Maybe a portable screw driver or a deburring tool.

Its in the tool kit next to the gas port tool and the recrowning tool that the gun came with.(gas port chamfer tool) Not....really i can't let my design of it out because someone will patent it.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just checking to see who's awake and who is sleeping here...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :o :o :lol:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:21:19 PM by BigBill »

mikebrown18

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »
Looked at the barrel with the borescope today. it was the gas port hole i was seeing. i need to debur it a little bit better. But the barrel and gun is in fantastic shape. thanks for everyones help.

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
Mike,  I don't think you need to (or can) "debur" that gas port.  Just clean your barrel with a good barrel cleaner with patches and a bronze brush. 

Bill, Can you send Mike one of your "deburring tools?"   :lol:

Mike, It sounds like you are good to go.  Have fun!