Author Topic: Questions about Rossi, Model R762MB, Single Shot, 7.62x39mm  (Read 1246 times)

makarov

• SKS Sniper
Questions about Rossi, Model R762MB, Single Shot, 7.62x39mm
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
Hey Guys,
I've been wanting to get some sort of a single shot rifle in 7.62x39mm to hunt deer with in Pennsylvania. I'm currently reloading that caliber and I'm very impressed with what it can do out of my Chinese SKS.
However, In this state, you can't use semi automatics to hunt with. It has to be either a single shot or manually operated bolt action, lever action, rifles only. I was gonna consider a CZ-527 carbine but, those are way out of my price range.

Anyways, I came across this one here,    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=38    for $229.99 NIB this morning. It is really nice shape, wood stock, ok trigger pull, safety works pretty well, etc. The sights are ok. The rifle shoulders well and the front & rear sight lines up pretty quick when shouldered..

Now, my question is, should I considered one of these or would I be better off walking away from it? A friend of mine who works in another gunstore told me that the ones being made today are made by Taurus and he is not happy with Taurus firearms anymore. Always having to send them back for repairs. He did say that if I found an older model Rossi made rifle, they would be ok.. I don't know how to tell a rossi made firearm from a taurus made one.. The rossi doesn't have a taurus name stamped on it so, that might be the clue right there..

Also, from people who either have one or had one, Are they a good shooting rifle? How accurate are they? Did parts break on them easly?

I will add that back in 2001, my brother and I bought my dad a Rossi Model 62 pump action 22 and it's a sweet shooting rifle.. It's the older one that doesn't have the stupid safety up on the top of the bolt.. It shoots and works great!!

Basically, I need some opinions..
Thanks!!
i don't own a makarov anymore.

Fort Knox

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: Questions about Rossi, Model R762MB, Single Shot, 7.62x39mm
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »
I would say for $229 that it's worth a try.  Espescially if you wanna use it for deer hunting and the CZ is out of your price range.  Not a lot of x39's out there in that genre.

Kyle

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
See if you can get the 7.62x39 one that goes with their 'wizard' system if possible, I know with that setup you can use any barrel rossi makes in those single shots on one base rifle.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

makarov

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies....
Fort Knox, I know there isn't alot of rifles out there in that caliber.. I wish savage, remington, marlin, or mossberg would at least make a bolt action in that caliber.. Why haven't they grasped that concept? Don't know if the rifles would be any cheaper though. I looked at a Ruger M77 Mk II. ( think that was the model of it) it was nice. was like $50.00 cheaper then the CZ. Again, out of my price range..

Blakeman, I did see those at that other gunstore. Like a 20ga/223 rem, 12ga/243 win. 410ga/22. etc I didn't like the synethic stock espically the cheek piece because, it raised my cheek up too far. Couldn't get my face down far enough to get in line with the sights. It would work good with a scope though.. I suppose the cheek piece could be taken off..

I'll ask the gun dealer on what he has before I make up my mind. I was just surprised to see one actually sitting there today. I mean I've seen them online before and knew they were out there.

I was even thinking about a Remington SPR-18. Saw one a few yrs ago but, wasn't too interested in those at the time.. Things you don't think of at the time..
i don't own a makarov anymore.

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
I bought one of them a few years back from another member here and thought it was just not all that comfortable. Shooting Wolff BB at the time would be hit or miss if it would set off the primer and it would take two hits to fire them. I eventually sold it to a friend  because of that and he ended up having to get it worked on himself. Now the gun is flawless and he used it to hunt 2 years in a row. I love Rossi's guns but was not impressed with that particular model. YMMV
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies....

Blakeman, I did see those at that other gunstore. Like a 20ga/223 rem, 12ga/243 win. 410ga/22. etc I didn't like the synethic stock espically the cheek piece because, it raised my cheek up too far. Couldn't get my face down far enough to get in line with the sights. It would work good with a scope though.. I suppose the cheek piece could be taken off..

The wizard actually lets you buy a barrel alone and use any caliber they offer, they say it is 23 which includes all the shotgun gauges, rifle gauges, rimfire and the black powders.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=187&category=14&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

They have them like that in wood too and the full catalog lists 7.62x39 as one of the rifle barrel options (also .44 mag and .357/.38 which is kinda neat) so if your dealer could get that for a decent price it might be worth it just to have a rifle that can shoot all the major calibers.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin