Author Topic: Dangling safety lever  (Read 1501 times)

dmcd

• SKS Newbie
Dangling safety lever
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
I have a Chinese/Norinco.  The safety lever used to work (would stay in the safe position or firing position)  Took apart to clean, put back together and the safety swings like a pendulum...or freely dangles back and forth.  Gun still fires.  If you manually hold the safety in the up position (safe position) it does keep the hammer from dropping or firing.  Could I be missing a spring (part) that I didn't notice fly away upon disassembly or did something just get moved out of position?

Thanks,
DMcD

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
Re: Dangling safety lever
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
Sounds like a common ailment.  Broken safety spring.

dmcd

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Is that also called the safety catch spring?  Part number 46?

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.murraysguns.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
Welcome to the Boards!

Yep, that's it. Either the safety catch spring didn't get included in re-assembly, got installed in the wrong place, or is broken/bent severely. We install the parts (trigger, trigger bar & safety spring) with a 3/32" punch then push the punch out as the pin is installed. Helps keep everything lined up as the pin is installed.

www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
  If you manually hold the safety in the up position (safe position) it does keep the hammer from dropping or firing. 

Actually the SKS safety only blocks trigger movement.
If the conditions are right the hammer can still drop and fire the weapon.

Just thought you should know.
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall

jpjusmc17

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »
I too have recently encountered a "dangling" safty Lever....now the catch spring, if I am correct, isn't a spring at all but the fork looking peice right? I think I might have knocked mine out of place with a cleaning rod as I was removing the trigger group. It seems to be fine and in tact, maybe bent, but would a gun smith charge me a ridiculous price or would I just be better off doing it myself? I've seen a few videos, and doesn't seem too complicated.

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
I too have recently encountered a "dangling" safty Lever....now the catch spring, if I am correct, isn't a spring at all but the fork looking peice right? I think I might have knocked mine out of place with a cleaning rod as I was removing the trigger group. It seems to be fine and in tact, maybe bent, but would a gun smith charge me a ridiculous price or would I just be better off doing it myself? I've seen a few videos, and doesn't seem too complicated.

It is a small trick to put the safety spring back in, as you must also remove the trigger to complete the job.  But if you have a good 3/32" alignment punch, it can be done in a reasonable time.

As yours is bent, try to find a picture of one so that it can be put back into the correct shape.

milsurpcop

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
I've done that twice while removing trigger groups.  It's probably not broke, the spring is just knocked out of place.  It's not too hard to put it back together.  Having said that, after I'm done my blood pressure is usually a little higher than it was before I started.... :lol:
Politians and Diapers should be changed often for the same reason

I cling to my guns and religion because they are two things I know I can count on.

jpjusmc17

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
Thank you, very much appreciated