Author Topic: Got a M59/66 Locally!... and then I dorked up the firing pin!  (Read 2132 times)

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • Warning! This Gaijin Drive Erratically!
Got a M59/66 Locally!... and then I dorked up the firing pin!
« on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
After my ugly experience with Classic Arms (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=79273.0) was close enough to wrapped up, I started digging around locally for nice M59/66s. After a couple hours of calling, I got a call back from a small shop, said he had one I had to see, and he'd put it on hold for me. Couldn't drive fast enough!

It's not perfect, but it was good enough for me and MILES better than the one Classic sent me, so I wrapped her up and drove her home. Cosmoline was heavy, but really, aren't they all? After I got everything clean and lightly oiled, it was pretty clear the handguard wasn't teak like the stock: as the cosmo came out of the wood, the stock got several shades lighter, and the handguard didn't. I'm not really crushed over this, but it is a negative. I've got another stock set on the way that I plan to do up all nice, and keep the originals un-molested and C&R friendly.

The one thing that did give me real trouble was getting the firing pin retaining pin out: I did my homework, made a jig out of wood, and then landed some clean blows with a punch, and eventually drifted it out. Everything cleaned up nicely, and I made double sure to get the firing pin channel clean as a whistle and lightly oiled. I reassembled everything, grabbed some standard Russian 7.62x39 poly, and headed to the range.

[I didn't know it at the time, but I think I did the damage that very first time I put the firing pin retaining pin back in. I didn't notice any resistance.]

I only fired about 10 rounds before calling it quits, and I'm glad I did, and I think I got stupid lucky here. The AK front sight adjustment tool I brought with me wouldn't fit over the front sight post, and my shots were too high and flirting with the automatic target system. I did notice one insufficient primer strike, although it went off and cycled fine on the second try.

By the time I got home, the firing pin was completely stuck in the rearward position. I was NOT thrilled. The first thing I did was saturate the bolt in Hoppe's gun oil, and let it penetrate the channel. Still frozen. I drove the firing pin retaining pin (Getting easier now!) out, still no movement. At a loss, I put the punch from the cleaning kit on the firing pin face and gave it a gentle tap. I got about 5mm movement off the love tap, so I drove it out (gently!) as far as the punch allowed. When the hump popped out of the channel, I saw what was wrong.

[No longer visible is what looked like the sheared-off metal from that hump: it was sitting on TOP of the hump, restricting the movement. It fell off after the pin finally went through the second part of the bolt.]

I THINK what happened was, when I was reassembling the bolt for the first time, the firing pin walked rearward as I was hammering the retaining pin back into the bolt, and the pin dug through the hump on the firing pin on it's downward charge.

I'M CONFUSED why I got such a great 'CLICK' as I flicked by wrist right after I reassembled, though. When I got home, it was FROZEN. I shot no more than 10 rounds and the last shot seemed to cycle just fine! Again, ammo was standard Russian Poly, non-corrosive.

Have any of you seen this before?
Is this firing pin unsafe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I know enough Japanese to get Dinner and a Beer from the 7-Eleven. Motivation to learn more? Low.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
Re: Got a M59/66 Locally!... and then I dorked up the firing pin!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
No Wolf ammo/popped primer was there?
If you don't know, shut yer hole

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »
Pflug,

I was shooting TulAmmo from Walmart (Photos below). When I cleanup up after shooting there wasn't any debris to speak of anywhere in the system other than carbon. And there WAS carbon!

On the second shot I MIGHT have had a popped primer: there was a bit of smoke coming from the action, but I didn't think much of it (thought it was residual Hoppe's 9 or Oil that flared up?). How would that have caused damage to the firing pin, though? Did debris somehow get kicked into the firing pin channel?

...is it still safe?

I know enough Japanese to get Dinner and a Beer from the 7-Eleven. Motivation to learn more? Low.

coopdog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »
I THINK what happened was, when I was reassembling the bolt for the first time, the firing pin walked rearward as I was hammering the retaining pin back into the bolt, and the pin dug through the hump on the firing pin on it's downward charge.

That sounds like a good diagnosis.  I think the firing pin should be replaced as it is now out of spec.  I suggest that you get a Murray's spring loaded fp.  Next time make sure the fp is lined up properly before you tap the fp retaining pin back in.
I'm tired of reading about SHTF.   I am planning for the more likely scenario SSDD (Same Sh_it, Different Day).

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:15:24 PM »
coopdog,

That's certainly what I feared, although I'll admit I was secretly hoping someone would come along and tell me it was still good to go. A new firing pin is a cheap addition, just sucks to be sidelined again.

I'm curious about this popped primer business, though: I read in another thread that dry-firing could do very real damage to SKSs and it could induce the popped primer problem: I HAD been dry firing the rifle before I went to the range, no more than 10 times, to get a feel for the trigger before I loaded live ammo. Any thoughts on this?

Project Appleseed

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »
DO NOT DRY FIRE THE SKS RIFE WITHOUT USING A SNAP CAP!

Don't mean to shout, but you WILL damage your bolt face if you continue the practice.  If you look at the tip of your firing pin, you will notice that it is wedge shaped.  The fp channel is not; at least not to the same extent.  Without something to stop the firing pin, such as a primer, or a snap cap, the FP will be driven into the bolt face.  Repeated dry-fire sessions will, in short order, damage the bolt face.  I, and many others, refer to this type of damage as "volcano-ing".  This type of damage will significantly increase the likelihood of 'popped primer syndrome'. 

If you compare the original style of firing pin in your yugo SKS, to that of an early SKS, you will notice a very important difference- the early FP did not have a wedge shaped tip; it was cylindrical in shape; long and narrow.  "Murrays" firing pins mimic this original contour, and even include a spring to ensure that the fp does not get stuck forward- this helps to ensure that the dreaded 'slam fire' does not occur. 

Send your complete bolt to murray, have him install a firing pin for you, and buy a spare, with a couple of spare springs, just in case.  His customer service is top notch.  While I doubt you would damage another fp in the rifles' lifetime, it never hurts to have a spare on hand- as you found out. 

While your rifle is 'down', now is a great time to send your trigger group to Kivarri for a full work-up.  Cost is about $65, but it is money well spent; you won't recognize your trigger when it gets back! (If you plan on shooting russian ammo, don't have him install the reduced power hammer spring- many people have experienced fail-to-fire problems with it- a new spring is in the works, courtesy of WOLFF springs)

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
i've dry fired my yugo hundreds, if not thousands, of times with no ill effects.
guns be funs

KomradeKrunk

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
I had a really bad experience with a 59/66 firing pin. It was starting to get a little sticky so I knocked it out and cleaned everything easy enough, but it took me 3 hours of smacking the thing in and out before I got it right. I was putting it in the right way with the hump up and everything and the FP would be stuck forward. I had to sand the whole thing till it was hot, the I put it back in and it it and moved. I like Yugo guns and I love the 59/66 but that was a major PITA.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
 Gentlemen, the Murray's Firing Pin is the single best investment you can make to your SKS rifle in terms of safety and functioning of the rifle...

I have one in every SKS I own, and the peace of mind that the upgrade gives is well worth the price of the part, which is reasonable.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
Just dropped off my bolt and trigger group: the bolt is off to Mr. Murray, the TG to Kivaari. If I'm gonna be down, I want to come back with all my ducks in a row. I wanted the thing to be perfect right out of the box, but with the damage I did, there's no returning THIS rifle. It's MINE, and I don't own unsafe rifles!

In the mean time, I've got a full M59/66 stock set headed my way, gastube and handguard included: I'll pass the time working on the stock!

Thanks much to ALL who sounded off: I really do appreciate the inputs!

Sinanovski

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
On the other hand, I love your pics. The quality is great. Mind making us a nice SKS wallpaper maybe? :)

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
Thanks! I'm an amateur/semi pro photographer, but I'm very space and equipment constrained: haven't shot in a real studio in over three years now! My backgrounds are my coffee table (Black) and my kitchen table (wood). The firing pin shot is just a flatbed scanner, scanned at a VERY high resolution and chopped in Photoshop to be web friendly while still showing the damage.

I doubt anyone wants a wallpaper of a vanilla M59/66, much less MINE, but if they do... let me know what screen resolution you need, and I'll make it happen!

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »
Most newer members with a Yugo 59/66 seem to post the same shot of the rifle laying on the kitchen vinyl floor with the "photographer's" toes visible in the bottom of the picture  :lol:

They usually also include a shot of it propped up with the bayo and the grenade sight extended
If you don't know, shut yer hole

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
 Your pictures are really, really, good, with excellent lighting and good resolution on the image....professional quality. 8)
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

.PPTRanger

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
Careful now, ya'll... you're gonna do some HORRIBLE things to my ego!  :oops:

I used to be much more involved in photography than I am now, and I'm using gear left over from that period: nothing more than an old Canon 10D, 420EX and a cheapo 28-105mm. These days, you can get that same kit, used, from KEH for less than $400.

Lighting is simple: I just angle the flash towards a wall, ceiling, or preferably a corner for that diffused light. It chews through batteries, but the results are worth it!

Thanks for the kind words!