Author Topic: mk-31 pen flare  (Read 4109 times)

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
mk-31 pen flare
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
are mk-31 pen flares considered legal to own?

I seem to be running accross two trains of thought, one group says that they are legal sence you cant fire lethal ammo from it unless you have a modified chamber to screw in to the end. As long as you dont have the chamber (anyway to load a live round) it is legal.

The other group says they are illegal pen guns no matter what.

Even heard that there is a class III dealer that will engrave it and turn it in to a AOW and supply a .25 apc chamber for $100.

I bought one the otherday to mount on my m4. I cant find flares for it so its just a conversation peice. A neat little gadget that nobody has. I would love to get some flares for it but they are non existant atleast from what I can find. Since I mainly want it for looks would grinding off the firing pin make it legal?

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: mk-31 pen flare
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
I came accross this online.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html#flare-launchers

Distinctive Characteristics
Capable of chambering and firing fixed ammunition; all calibers. Can be commercially or home made, smooth bore or rifled. Usually called a “Pen Gun.”

Would a flare be considered fixed ammunition?

OneShotWonder

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
"Play me like it's chess and ill smack you with a checker board."

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »
nope, wont work. I'm really not worried about the ammo, im more worried about the legalities.

this is the ammo used.

OneShotWonder

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
Oh I c, so you just want it for looks? It would be pretty cool to get the one in the links I posted and make it look similar to the real one so you could actually shoot it.
"Play me like it's chess and ill smack you with a checker board."

terry1369

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
carried one of those when flying aircrew in a CH34 chopper squadron in nam. saved my butt once.

Spinich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
I guess I don't understand the purpose...(tactically). When I was in, we used tracer rounds to identify targets for fire.
"The People" in the 1st, 4th, 9th, and 10th Amendments means the people, but "The People" in the 2nd Amendment means the National Guard.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
Not really, its cool to have the real deal regardless if you have the flares or not. Trying to fake it is not cool, you would get laughed at with that thing on your rifle. IMHO a real 40mm m203 is way cooler to own with out gernades than a 37mm cobray is with a box of 300 flares.

I bought this off gunbroker and have not paid yet, if somebody can convence me either way I will go that route. I may just point out the ATF website and tell him that I became aware that the launcher could possably be illegal so I will not continue the transaction. Hate to do it but im not gona put my rear in the boiling pot.

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
Wonder if it would be any different than buying a M203 grenade launcher and mounting to to your M4? 

I'd say it's clearly marked "Signal device" aka "flare gun".  Last time I checked, I could still buy a flare gun at the local sporting goods store.
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

bulldog136

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • Prep hard and fast
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
I would say that you can buy flare pistols at Wal-Mart so this item should not be illegal as long as it cannot fire a round (other than flares).
What ever doesn't kill me, better start running

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
Where the problem lies is in the firing mechanism, it works exactly like a pen gun and can be easily converted to fire a live round, that's why the gas "pen guns" are AOW. Apparently there used to be issues with people taking them and making these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggA0NWg_iR4

I just called my class III and asked his opinion, he says avoid them because its in a gray area and even the flares can be interpreted as "fixed ammunition" because they fire a projectile (even the tear gas is considered fixed ammo). I hate backing out of a sell but I'm not going to cross that line and potentially get a felony for something as stupid as this. He says it can be legally done but I will need to pay a $200 makers tax and have it engraved. f-that....